Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Slow leak on the front tire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 06:24 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the other shops too, never fix a sidewall hole, never! Buy a new tire and move on, not worth the risk of a blowout and crash due to it. Tires are one of the most important things on your vehicle, tires and brakes should never be cheaped out on.

Just my .02
Old 04-14-13, 07:50 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I took this picture of the side wall of a Michelin Latitude Tour HP tire on our GX. If the "pin hole" leak is near the letter 'c' as you describe it is too far into the sidewall to be repaired. It is also too far from the tread to have been caused by a "road hazard". Besides the obvious suspect ... vandalism, e.g., someone with an awl ... I would suspect a defect, which is a warranty issue.

Michelin should replace the tire and pro-rate for the remaining tread life. Whatever you decide, don't ride on that tire again and discount its value as a spare. What good is a spare that has been slowly leaking?
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Slow leak on the front tire!-tire-side-wall.jpg  
Old 04-14-13, 10:28 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you SaniDel for your advice, I will definitely follow your advice and not repair the tire. The warranty issue was my next question and you answered it on the next posting. The tire doesn't look damaged at all from the the outside, I strongly feel it may be a defect. I will call Michelin and let them know. I don't think at this point the dealer would have anything to do with it since tires are covered by their own warranties. I'll post what happens when I call Michelin. Thanks.
Old 04-14-13, 12:17 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by MickeyS
Thank you SaniDel for your advice, I will definitely follow your advice and not repair the tire. The warranty issue was my next question and you answered it on the next posting. The tire doesn't look damaged at all from the the outside, I strongly feel it may be a defect. I will call Michelin and let them know. I don't think at this point the dealer would have anything to do with it since tires are covered by their own warranties. I'll post what happens when I call Michelin. Thanks.
You are welcome, MickeyS. If the tire doesn't look damaged from the outside then it seems likely it is a defect, which Michelin should cover.

However, before you "write off" your Lexus dealer, make them tell you that they won't do anything for you. Our Lexus dealer has repaired and replaced tires for 'goodwill' and yours might also. Just remember that you are asking them to "do you a favor" ... expect nothing, never be disappointed ... but be delighted with anything!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-27-13, 08:10 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were right, it was a defect, but because somehow the rim had a scratch, maybe it was scratched while taking off the tire to inspect it, Michelin only paid for 55% of the tire. So I purchased the tire and now have it in the rear with the spare which is pretty new, until the front tires get worn enough to be replaced by the LTX/MS2. Thanks again for the invaluable assistance.
Old 04-27-13, 11:50 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by MickeyS
You were right, it was a defect, but because somehow the rim had a scratch, maybe it was scratched while taking off the tire to inspect it, Michelin only paid for 55% of the tire. So I purchased the tire and now have it in the rear with the spare which is pretty new, until the front tires get worn enough to be replaced by the LTX/MS2. Thanks again for the invaluable assistance.
I wonder what it would take for Michelin or any tire company to pay 100%? Perhaps if a new car had a blowout as it was being driven off the dealer's lot! ;-)

Sounds like a good outcome. I'll be in the market for replacement tires this Fall ... we'll talk tires then.
Regards,

SaniDel