GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Nav + audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 09:03 AM
rskoss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav + audio

I tried out the nav system today (I still think the $80 Navigon app on my iPhone runs rings around it) while I was listening to XM radio. I was expecting the radio volume to go down when there was a nav instruction, but the two voices were competing with each other. Is this the way it's supposed to work?
Old 02-19-13, 09:11 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are custom settings you can change through the Nav screen.
Old 02-20-13, 06:08 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You can direct the nav voice to use different speakers and you can adjust the volume level. You may think the portable systems are better but there is a big difference. For the money you can not go wrong with a Garmin or a TomTom, especially with the free lifetime map upgrades. You have to remember the OEM nav has dead reckoning where the sensors (speed, steering angle, etc) in the vehicle will take over and keep on track when you lose the sat signal. Also the OEM nav voice controls all the other components/features (HVAC, radio, etc). I do think that due to the price of an OEM system they should provide FREE map upgrades, to say the least!

Koz
Old 02-21-13, 08:04 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Hey I cant figure out how to change the guidance speaker? can anyone walk me through it ?
Old 02-22-13, 06:35 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusVet
Hey I cant figure out how to change the guidance speaker? can anyone walk me through it ?
Obviously not in mine at the moment but I believe it's in the custom settings on the nav screen, Nav settings. Then where you want the voice to be heard.
Old 02-23-13, 03:56 AM
rskoss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
You can direct the nav voice to use different speakers and you can adjust the volume level. You may think the portable systems are better but there is a big difference. For the money you can not go wrong with a Garmin or a TomTom, especially with the free lifetime map upgrades. You have to remember the OEM nav has dead reckoning where the sensors (speed, steering angle, etc) in the vehicle will take over and keep on track when you lose the sat signal. Also the OEM nav voice controls all the other components/features (HVAC, radio, etc). I do think that due to the price of an OEM system they should provide FREE map upgrades, to say the least!

Koz
Using different speakers is a kludge( and a kludge that I can't figure out how to do). If the unit can interact with speed and steering sensors, it sure can turn down the volume of any audio that is playing - like the Garmin unit on my motorcycle or the nav app on my iPhone.

I do agree that the touch screen that the nav system brings to the console is part of the joy of owning a Lexus.
Old 02-23-13, 07:41 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Push the "SETUP" button.

2. Touch "Voice" on the "Setup" screen.

3. Touch "Voice Guidance Speaker".

4. Touch "Center" or "Driver".

5. Touch "Save".