GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brought home a new GX yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-13, 04:19 AM
rskoss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought home a new GX yesterday

And stumbled upon this forum. I traded in my 2001 LX. I just couldn't justify another LX - too much money, too much gas....
Old 02-16-13, 05:30 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and congrats! Color, options, pictures?
Old 02-16-13, 05:53 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! Congratulations on your purchase, enjoy it in good health.
Old 02-16-13, 03:09 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rskoss
And stumbled upon this forum. I traded in my 2001 LX. I just couldn't justify another LX - too much money, too much gas....
We "found our way" to a GX in a similar manner. We owned six LX, but they got too big, too expensive and used too much gas. Our last LX was a 2004 ... similar to yours. We hope you find the GX 460 is the "LX perfected" like we do ... it is our only vehicle and my wife and I think it is a 'keeper'!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-17-13, 02:11 AM
rskoss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Welcome and congrats! Color, options, pictures?
I would call it gray, but Lexus calls it Tungsten Pearl (who comes up with color names?).

I have the Nav system, intuitive parking, remote engine start, and preferred acc package. If I can find a good background, I'll take some photos (amateur photog here).
Old 02-18-13, 08:44 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Same color I have, I call it silver...

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 02-18-13, 09:02 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats and welcome
Old 02-18-13, 09:27 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig B
Same color I have, I call it silver...

Congratulations and enjoy!
According to my insurance papers, the color is classified as brown
Old 02-18-13, 11:32 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
According to my insurance papers, the color is classified as brown
Strange, I never looked at my insurance papers. I don't know where they get brown from...
Old 02-18-13, 12:51 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read nothing credible about car color influencing insurance rates and many web sites claim there is no connection, such as:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2082037AAW7uTF

However, your insurance company knows the color of your vehicle, if for no reason other than to uniquely identify without having to refer to the VIN, which is unique. The police, accident investigators and your state department of motor vehicles also keep track of your vehicle's color for their own reasons.

However, Lexus isn't doing them any favors by their choice of colors:

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/features/exterior.html

Black Onyx is 'black' and Claret Mica is 'red' but what is the difference between Tungsten Pearl and Knight's Armor Pearl? Starfire Pearl is 'white' to our insurance company and I suspect Satin Cashmere Metallic may be 'green' or maybe 'gold' but what color is Fire Agate Pearl ... 'purple'? Perhaps your insurance company has arbitrarily decided that Tungsten Pearl is 'brown' and Knight's Armor Pearl is 'silver'!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S Footnote 4 on Lexus' official exterior colors page says "2010 model shown" ... nothing new here, folks!

Last edited by SaniDel; 02-18-13 at 03:49 PM. Reason: minor edits for clarity and postscript about footnote disclaimer
Old 02-19-13, 05:18 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the GX Family! IMHO; the LX is a BIG/thirsty vehicle that should only be considered if you absolutely need the extra room or tow rating. I'm not crazy about the styling, but I am sure you could get used to it!

As far as color and insurance; some color paints are more expensive to replace.

Koz
Old 02-19-13, 05:23 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics or it did not happen!
Old 02-19-13, 06:16 PM
eFish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
Welcome to the GX Family! IMHO; the LX is a BIG/thirsty vehicle that should only be considered if you absolutely need the extra room or tow rating. I'm not crazy about the styling, but I am sure you could get used to it!

As far as color and insurance; some color paints are more expensive to replace.

Koz
First of all, your dancing men dance better than me.

Don't see second or third? Ask Barkley. LOL. Seriously, how much should we pay for a 2013 ES without nav in gulf south states now? Dealers won't budge on E350 price last month. Their flagship car might worth the premium name they hold out to be, but Lexus is over priced. I get to drive a 2012 ES sometimes, and it's fine around city, but I still prefer euro cars for freeway driving. And that's why IMHO Lexus can keep their cars at those prices and with those sales attitudes.

Just received an email about bimmer recall on their 1- and 3-series as a suggestion not to buy bimmer, so I'm looking at Lexus again even they are entirely designed differently..Can't be more enthusiastic about Lexus, but.I could still buy or drive a Lexus!
Old 02-20-13, 05:46 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by eFish
First of all, your dancing men dance better than me.

Don't see second or third? Ask Barkley. LOL. Seriously, how much should we pay for a 2013 ES without nav in gulf south states now? Dealers won't budge on E350 price last month. Their flagship car might worth the premium name they hold out to be, but Lexus is over priced. I get to drive a 2012 ES sometimes, and it's fine around city, but I still prefer euro cars for freeway driving. And that's why IMHO Lexus can keep their cars at those prices and with those sales attitudes.

Just received an email about bimmer recall on their 1- and 3-series as a suggestion not to buy bimmer, so I'm looking at Lexus again even they are entirely designed differently..Can't be more enthusiastic about Lexus, but.I could still buy or drive a Lexus!
You have to remember the ES was just re-designed for 2013 and you will not see any discounting until the end of the first model year. I'm not sure if you are referring to the ES as being their flagship but the ES is their entry level car. Yes Lexus' are top dollar but there is a good reason for that. They are the most reliable brand on the market and have an incredible resale value. My 07 IS is worth 50% of the original sales price. That's a SEVEN year old car!

Koz