HSA : Hill Start Control Assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 08:21 PM
sv1669
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSA : Hill Start Control Assist

need your help you guys on this,
I know the Hill Start Control Assist (HCA or HSA) should come with my 2012 gx460 base, but I just couldn't get it to work, no matter how hard I pressed the break.
Anyone knows what might be the reason? My friend has RX and I was so sure that this useful feature was included. Is there any switch for that?? The manual kindly explains what this system is but no word about how to use it.
Old 02-11-13, 11:49 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sv1669

Need your help you guys on this, I know the Hill Start Control Assist (HAC) should come with my 2012 gx460 base, but I just couldn't get it to work, no matter how hard I pressed the brake.

Anyone knows what might be the reason? My friend has RX and I was so sure that this useful feature was included. Is there any switch for that?? The manual kindly explains what this system is but no word about how to use it.
Look at this.....

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/featu...t_control.html

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 02-12-13 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-12-13, 05:22 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The system only works when your foot is off the brake and it senses the vehicle rolling back. It is not designed to lock the brakes, it is designed to pulse them gentle to avoid locking and sliding out of control. It can only help, not completely stop the vehicle.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 02-19-13 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 09:35 AM
sv1669
Driver School Candidate

thanks Koz.! Indeed, looks like something engages while it is on Drive and starts moving back, I saw some light today - but the car moved back a good 3 feets before I was moving my feet. Then it is completely different from what my friend has on his RX!!!! The way it works there is that you apply some extra pressure on break and then you have 3 seconds to move your feet to press on accelerator. The car won't move back at all! Very convinient in city traffic if going up the hill....
Old 02-12-13, 12:39 PM
Koz

That does not sound right. If the brakes lock you could lose control on a slippery surface.

Koz
Old 02-12-13, 01:06 PM
sv1669
Driver School Candidate

it would, but actually that system works when the car is stopped completely and you press on break while transmission is on D. Like I said it is extremely helpful if you have to start moving from complete stop on hill. Right now I have to keep both feet on pedals so it won't hit anything behind. Lame.
Old 02-12-13, 01:13 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BMW has that option, it's not an option as far as I know on the GX. It's basically a traffic option, not off road option, when you come to a complete stop and the option is turned on you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the vehicle will not move forward or backward until you depress the gas pedal again, then once you come to a stop again it will again hold the brake on without you holding the brake pedal. It's a very cool option, wish I had it on my GX.
Old 02-12-13, 01:24 PM
sv1669
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
BMW has that option, it's not an option as far as I know on the GX. It's basically a traffic option, not off road option, when you come to a complete stop and the option is turned on you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the vehicle will not move forward or backward until you depress the gas pedal again, then once you come to a stop again it will again hold the brake on without you holding the brake pedal. It's a very cool option, wish I had it on my GX.
exactly...I should have mentioned that it is traffic option, and boy GX is heavy, well - next time I will be doing more research...Thought it is Hill start assist.
Old 02-13-13, 01:52 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by sv1669
it would, but actually that system works when the car is stopped completely and you press on break while transmission is on D. Like I said it is extremely helpful if you have to start moving from complete stop on hill. Right now I have to keep both feet on pedals so it won't hit anything behind. Lame.
I have never heard of this feature on any Toyota/Lexus vehicle. If possible, could someone provide some info!

Koz
Old 02-13-13, 01:56 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lexus SUV's all have this. When in drive on a hill, you press the brake pedal very hard till it hits the floor. You will see the VSC light flash then stay on for about 3 seconds. During that 3 seconds you can completely take your foot off of the brake without the car rolling backwards. This is supposed to give you time to move your foot to the gas pedal without rolling back and without having to "2-foot it". Think of it like the "Hold" feature on an LS, but for only 3 seconds.
Old 02-13-13, 02:15 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

The OP is looking for a traffic control brake option, not Hill / off road option. It's not a option on a Lexus, but it is on a BMW, I've used it, it will hold the car until you step on the gas again. Great for traffic.
Old 02-18-13, 10:20 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
The lexus SUV's all have this. When in drive on a hill, you press the brake pedal very hard till it hits the floor. You will see the VSC light flash then stay on for about 3 seconds. During that 3 seconds you can completely take your foot off of the brake without the car rolling backwards. This is supposed to give you time to move your foot to the gas pedal without rolling back and without having to "2-foot it". Think of it like the "Hold" feature on an LS, but for only 3 seconds.
My GX does not have this feature or it is not working (which I doubt).

Koz
Old 02-19-13, 07:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

The OP is looking for a traffic control brake option, not Hill / off road option. It's not a option on a Lexus, but it is on a BMW, I've used it, it will hold the car until you step on the gas again. Great for traffic.
I believe the only Lexus that has the brake hold feature is the LS and it is great. I wish they incorporated this into some of their other vehicles but I'm not sure which ones have an electronic/automatic parking brake like the LS. I assume this is what you are talking about? Does the BMW have an electronic/automatic parking brake? I'm not sure how you would incorporate this in a manual parking brake.
Old 02-19-13, 09:09 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

BMW Electromechanical Parking Brake

Autostop automatically activates the parking brake whenever the vehicle comes to a halt; it disengages the moment you touch the accelerator. In vehicles with automatic transmission, it is no longer necessary to keep the brake pedal applied to prevent vehicle creep when stopping in gear, such as in stop-and-go traffic or at traffic lights. This makes city driving significantly more comfortable.
Old 02-19-13, 09:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

BMW Electromechanical Parking Brake

Autostop automatically activates the parking brake whenever the vehicle comes to a halt; it disengages the moment you touch the accelerator. In vehicles with automatic transmission, it is no longer necessary to keep the brake pedal applied to prevent vehicle creep when stopping in gear, such as in stop-and-go traffic or at traffic lights. This makes city driving significantly more comfortable.
Yup that is the same thing as the brake hold feature in the LS. Unless they start putting an electronic parking brake in more Lexus' I don't think we will see it.

Quick Reply: HSA : Hill Start Control Assist