GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Identifying Characteristic of 2010 Premium

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 01:07 PM
jjolly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying Characteristic of 2010 Premium

I'm currently in the market for a 2010 GX and I was hoping that I could get a little help on what distinguishing features I could use to make for sure that a car is a premium that is being sold as premium...

As best I can tell -- for 2012/2013 a premium model will always have 4 switches to the right of the gear shift level as opposed to 2 with a base. Is the the case with 2010? If it is, then it certainly seems that a good number of people listing things as "premium" are just trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. If this isn't the case -- what can I be looking for in a 2010 premium to let me know that it is actually a premium car.

Also -- is it the case that if you have premium and the nav system that you AUTOMATICALLY have Mark Levinson audio?

Thanks much in advance -- we're looking forward to joining the crew
Old 07-09-12, 05:31 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's one tell tell sign of a 2010 base vs premium. Does the chrome on the rear passenger windows go all the way up the window? if yes, it's a premium. If no it's a base. I don't know of any base that was able to have it added (and I tried but it's ridiculously expensive).

The base does not come with the chrome molding on the doors but several of us have had it added so you can't rely on that. I do think that the base models on the 2010 have only 2 buttons and the premium have the 4 buttons as you described to the right of the gear shift but I can't swear that you can't have those added. The chrome on the window should do it.

Can't say abt the stereo. There were several threads in the 2010 time frame where we were discussing the difference bw base and premium.There are other tell tale signs that you can't have added such as headlight wipers and something about the chrome molding on the floor board, etc. I'd do a search and check them out.

hth!!
Old 07-09-12, 10:44 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wannaGX

There are other tell tale signs that you can't have added such as headlight wipers
This is the one I look for......headlight washers/indent. Who would want to add it to a base model to pass it as a premium Other one is the switches, like you mention, to adjust the ride from "sport to normal to comfort. Suspension adjustment and automatic rear leveling is what differentiates a premium trim from a base trim, based on my understanding. Almost everything else can be added as an option. Others may add more to this list.

Cheers.
Old 07-10-12, 04:35 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also you can't get the steering wheel heated on the base. the comfort package does not include it but it's standard on the premium.
Old 07-10-12, 06:42 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Chrome trim around rear side window, side molding, headlight washers, rear air springs, AVS shocks. Mark Lev system is opitional on all models.

Koz
Old 03-03-14, 03:10 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Late to the show but anyway, the Premium included the Comfort Plus Package - Semi-Aniline Leather (vs. the pretty nice standard hide), Wood and Leather Steering Wheel, Heated outboard 2nd row seats and Three Zone Automatic A/C. Nearly every non Premium GX has the CPP but not all! As previous posters pointed out the quick and visible differences are the 4 console switches, heated steering wheel (leather area only!), the hockey stick shaped Chrome reveal molding up the D pillar window and the Body Color w/Chrome Body Side Moldings.
Old 03-03-14, 05:01 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I am paying attention to the 460s in my area being a new new owner and see many with the door trim but without the window chrome. What is the purpose of the window chrome? If it is a prestige visual upgrade it seems minor to me. Is there any difference in the glass quality or just a Lexus Premium signature ?
Old 03-03-14, 05:45 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I am paying attention to the 460s in my area being a new new owner and see many with the door trim but without the window chrome. What is the purpose of the window chrome? If it is a prestige visual upgrade it seems minor to me. Is there any difference in the glass quality or just a Lexus Premium signature ?
The chrome up around higher on the rear glass is a premium, not available as an option on a base GX.
Old 03-03-14, 06:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
The chrome up around higher on the rear glass is a premium, not available as an option on a base GX.
Post from Koz is that is an option, regardless I am asking why such a small difference is there? Would anyone notice this 2 foot 1/2 inch extension of chrome? Only buyers, auto enthusiast would recognize such a miniscule difference. Running boards, wheels etc. are usually the obvious with showing a upgraded model.
Old 03-04-14, 09:53 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

tecman, I think you have hit on it. While truely useful feature such as the Body Side Moldings can be fitted to the downmarket model all manufacturers seem to delight in sprucing up the High-Line with an unobtainable trinket. The owners that paid extra will know the difference!