LT Tires on GX460

Old 11-05-12, 07:01 AM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
32.8" tires will rub without a lift!

Koz
You are correct. That's why the GX has a 2" lift front and 1.5" lift rear (see the billet spacer in the front wheel pic). It does have a very aggressive stance and no change to handling ride. Highway mileage still 19/20, city driving down to 14MPG. Not bad all things considered. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...ilies/cool.gif
Old 11-08-12, 07:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Update - Last night I went out in the snow storm (approx 6") and purposely drove up very steep inclines and all I have to say is; these tires are amazing in the snow. It seemed like all other vehicles were having real problems getting up these hills and the GX (with these tires) was going up them like a walk in the park. They actually felt like dedicated snow tires. There were times when FWD and AWD vehicles were just barely moving and sliding back and forth out of control. I would stop and wait till the other vehicles could not go any further and easily drive right around them without even slipping. Again, they feel like dedicated snow tires.

Koz
Old 11-08-12, 08:59 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He hath seen the light. Agreed btw. I'm not putting Blizzaks on this season.
Old 11-18-12, 06:42 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Update, we did get 4-5" of snow over a couple days which melted and re-froze thanks to weather in the teens at night and mid-30's during the day.

LTXs did better in the ice vs OEs but not as well as the Blizzaks. Blizzak softer rubber compound and additional sipes helps the GX most in turns (just felt more planted) and braking was better too. Best way to explain is that I don't have to plan to brake too far ahead with the snows vs LTX.

In the snow, the LTXs did great. As good as the Blizzaks IMO.

Tire choice is extremely important because the GX at 5300lbs is deceptively small for its weight. People think FJ or 4 Runner when they look at it when in reality it is a couple hundred less than a suburban, few hundred more than a F150/Tundra, nearly half a ton more than the 4Runner and more than half a ton vs the FJ.

Last edited by tazdevl; 11-18-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 06:16 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Tire choice is extremely important because the GX at 5300lbs is deceptively small for its weight. People think FJ or 4 Runner when they look at it when in reality it is a couple hundred less than a suburban, few hundred more than a F150/Tundra, nearly half a ton more than the 4Runner and more than half a ton vs the FJ.
The GX460 is 800 lbs heavier then the 4th gen 4Runner and 500 lbs. (quarter ton) heavier then the 5th gen 4Runner. Also depending on which model, the F150 can be much heavier then the GX. The F150 FX4 (W/short bed) is 5600 lbs. Same with the Tundra, anywhere from 5000 lbs. to almost 5700 lbs.

Koz
Old 11-19-12, 08:26 AM
Koz

Update;

Went down to the NJ Pine Barrens and tested the LTs in sand, mud and water. The LTX's work GREAT! I didn't even have air down (running 55 psi).

Koz
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-first-meeting.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-getting-ready.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-little-water.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-gx-recue-vehicle.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-gx-flex.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 11-19-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-19-12, 06:14 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
The GX460 is 800 lbs heavier then the 4th gen 4Runner and 500 lbs. (quarter ton) heavier then the 5th gen 4Runner. Also depending on which model, the F150 can be much heavier then the GX. The F150 FX4 (W/short bed) is 5600 lbs. Same with the Tundra, anywhere from 5000 lbs. to almost 5700 lbs.

Koz
All depends on which sub-model you're looking at bubba.

Was that a ****** or tow strap in the barrens?
Old 11-21-12, 05:41 AM
Koz

I finished up the brake job. I replaced the semi-metallic pads with ceramics and painted the calipers. The brakes stop and feel much better.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-brakes-finish.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-rear-finish.jpg  
Old 06-20-13, 01:56 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Koz, where did you have your tires installed?
Old 06-20-13, 03:38 PM
Koz

Most (big name) tire shop will not sell you or mount and install tires that are not the same size as the OEM original size. I have a friend that has a tire shop in Newark NJ. You can take the tires/wheels off the vehicle and have the tires mounted/balanced and then you reinstall them on the vehicle.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 06-20-13 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 07:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Most (big name) tire shop will not sell you or mount and install tires that are not the same size as the OEM original size. I have a friend that has a tire shop in Newark NJ. You can take the tires/wheels off the vehicle and have the tires mounted/balanced and then you reinstall them on the vehicle.

Koz
That is not entirely true...

The two largest tire retailers in the US allow anything within reason that will fit...
Old 06-21-13, 06:10 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
That is not entirely true...

The two largest tire retailers in the US allow anything within reason that will fit...
Notice I said "most". Costco offers just about the best prices and they will not install anything other than the OEM size. They will sell you any size tire but will not install it. It is a liability issue!

Koz
Old 06-21-13, 06:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

The reason places like Walmart, Costco, and other places don't allow it is mainly because they don't put hardly any focus on training their sales people. They simply don't know any better and it is easier for them to have a policy of no changes in size whatsoever to eliminate the possibility of one of their inexperienced sales persons screwing up. The companies I have worked for have no issue with it whatsoever because they have regular training and materials that give the sales person the ability to help the consumer make an informed choice. One company even had suggested wider and larger fitments much like TireRack does of sizes that are known to fit...

It is reasons like this that I would never ever buy tires from a place like that, lowest price or not. There is ALWAYS someone willing to beat their price and provide better service. I don't know about all of them, but Walmart here in town won't even work on a vehicle that has aftermarket wheels, regardless it they are OE size or not...
Old 06-21-13, 08:52 AM
Koz

Costco was sued by someone who had an accident and claimed it was caused by not installing the OEM size, and won. This is why the big corp have this policy.

Koz
Old 06-21-13, 09:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Unfortunately that doesn't surprise me, just makes more business for me... In this day and age anyone can sue for any reason, or even no reason at all.

Id personally patronize the places that haven't gotten quite that crazy...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT Tires on GX460