GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LT Tires on GX460

Old 10-24-12, 08:23 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I really like those tires, I had them on my Tahoe and I can't wait to get them on my GX.
Old 10-24-12, 08:29 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Hopefully the Green X design will negate the extra weight of the LTs compared to the OEM sized “P” tire (15lbs. each diff). I have not yet compared the mileage with the LTs.

Koz
I understand your comparison of more efficient design versus weight, but isn't there also an issue of unsprung weight?

Unsprung weight refers to the parts of the vehicle suspension that moves relative to the body of the vehicle, i.e., the parts that are not supported by the springs which carry the weight of the vehicle. The tires, wheels and suspension components that move when the vehicle hits a bump are considered unsprung and should be as light as possible, otherwise the vehicle experiences a noticeable "bounce" which the passengers feel as we ride over the road.

The tires you have installed on your vehicle are heavier then the OEM tires, i.e., they increase the unsprung weight. Does this translate into a rougher ride?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Alloy wheels have become standard on modern vehicles for this reason in addition to appearance as they are lighter than the steel wheels they replaced, which reduces the unsprung weight.
Old 10-24-12, 08:52 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max pressure on the P metric LTX M/2 is 44 PSI for the OE size. Not sure where you guys are getting 85 PSI. Don't think you'll like the ride of an E metric tire too much.
Old 10-24-12, 09:40 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Max pressure on the P metric LTX M/2 is 44 PSI for the OE size. Not sure where you guys are getting 85 PSI. Don't think you'll like the ride of an E metric tire too much.
That's what I was getting at in my screed about unsprung weight. The higher the unsprung weight, the rougher the ride. Heavier tires and higher tire pressure make it worse.

For those who pull trailers, add roof-top carriers or load their GX with lots of cargo or passengers it's a good idea. For those who only haul themselves ... I'm not convinced, but those larger tires sure look sweet!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-24-12, 10:17 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin X rated tires look like this:

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-michelin-x.gif  
Old 10-24-12, 10:19 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michelin Green X tires look like this:

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-green-x.jpg  
Old 10-24-12, 10:47 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I understand your comparison of more efficient design versus weight, but isn't there also an issue of unsprung weight?

Unsprung weight refers to the parts of the vehicle suspension that moves relative to the body of the vehicle, i.e., the parts that are not supported by the springs which carry the weight of the vehicle. The tires, wheels and suspension components that move when the vehicle hits a bump are considered unsprung and should be as light as possible, otherwise the vehicle experiences a noticeable "bounce" which the passengers feel as we ride over the road.

The tires you have installed on your vehicle are heavier then the OEM tires, i.e., they increase the unsprung weight. Does this translate into a rougher ride?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Alloy wheels have become standard on modern vehicles for this reason in addition to appearance as they are lighter than the steel wheels they replaced, which reduces the unsprung weight.
You are absolutely correct about the fact that I have added 15lbs. of unsprung weight to each wheel. I was very concerned about this (and tire clearance/rubbing/alignment) before I got the tires and that’s why I started this thread. As it turned out these tires feel better in every aspect compared to the OEMs. The vehicle feel more planted and takes the bumpy stuff smoother. These tires make the vehicle feel more stable. Even the steering feels better. The handling also feels better at high speeds (highway). I noticed it as soon as took the first ride with the new tires. I’m an aggressive driver and run my vehicles at a fast pace, which demands a stable vehicle. I think the AVS and air springs have a lot to do with handling the extra weight so well.

Koz
Old 10-24-12, 11:13 AM
Koz

The OEM "P" rated HPs are rated at a max 51psi and the "E" rated LT MS2s are rated at a max 80psi. Again, the funny/great thing about these tires is they ride better then the OEM in every aspect. The only difference I have not determined is gas mileage and how it handles the snow. It will take several tanks to determine the mileage and a winter for the snow. From the reviews I read I would think they will handle the bad weather much better too.

Koz
Old 10-24-12, 11:39 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
The OEM "P" rated HPs are rated at a max 51psi and the "E" rated LT MS2s are rated at a max 80psi. Again, the funny/great thing about these tires is they ride better then the OEM in every aspect. The only difference I have not determined is gas mileage and how it handles the snow. It will take several tanks to determine the mileage and a winter for the snow. From the reviews I read I would think they will handle the bad weather much better too.

Koz
Totally agree on the tires. Huge step forward. I actually enjoy driving the GX more.

See pic. P Metric LTX MS2 in OE tire size 44 PSI max. Odd that the LTXs are rated less than the Latitudes.

I grabbed a Blizzak from the basement and put it next to the LTX MS2, Blizzak has more sipes per block and the blocks are arranged in a more asymmetric manner... LTX has deeper tread and the number of sipes per block is a bit more random but look noticeably burlier. Unless it gets stupidly cold in CO, I would be surprised if the LTXs don't perform as well as the Blizzaks.

In the rain they are noticeably better than both OE tires. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow starting tonight. I'll report back as to how they do.

Just put Blizzaks on my wife's RX. Season is upon us.
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by tazdevl; 10-24-12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 12:40 PM
Koz

Totally agree on the tires. Huge step forward. I actually enjoy driving the GX more.

See pic. P Metric LTX MS2 in OE tire size 44 PSI max. Odd that the LTXs are rated less than the Latitudes.

I grabbed a Blizzak from the basement and put it next to the LTX MS2, Blizzak has more sipes per block and the blocks are arranged in a more asymmetric manner... LTX has deeper tread and the number of sipes per block is a bit more random but look noticeably burlier. Unless it gets stupidly cold in CO, I would be surprised if the LTXs don't perform as well as the Blizzaks.

In the rain they are noticeably better than both OE tires. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow starting tonight. I'll report back as to how they do.

Just put Blizzaks on my wife's RX. Season is upon us.
We are both right OEM P-HPs are rated at 51psi and the OEM sized P-MS2s are rated at 44psi (that is odd).

The Blizzak's are better in snow and ice but the MS2s are better everywhere else. I can tell you the GX and 4Runner with full time 4WD can do pretty good on bologna skins (not in CO).

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 10-24-12 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 12:40 PM
ned500
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
I replaced my tires with Michelin LTX M/S2. I am very pleased with them.

~ Cap
My original Michelin Latitude Tour HPs already need replacing (only 32,000!!) . I asked about the LTX MS2 and the tire place said they were not the correct speed rating and the only tire they could put on was the same ones (Latitude Tour HP). Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-12, 06:06 PM
JEB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check my post and pics at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&goto=newpost.

I currently run Pirelli ATR's on 265/70R17, E rated of course. There are few E rated 18" all terrain tires that I would recommend. These tireswill give you a 32.8" diameter as opposed to the factory 30.5 diameter".

I also trailer a lot and have had no issues.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-img_0210.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-img_0211.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-img_0212.jpg  
Old 11-02-12, 07:42 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Red face

Originally Posted by ned500
My original Michelin Latitude Tour HPs already need replacing (only 32,000!!) . I asked about the LTX MS2 and the tire place said they were not the correct speed rating and the only tire they could put on was the same ones (Latitude Tour HP). Any suggestions?

Yeah. Tell them they're full of it and get the LTX MS2s somewhere that knows tires. Want to bet they only have the Latitudes in stock right now?

LTX MS2s are T rated tires with a top speed of 118mph. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, the GXs top speed is governed about 110ish MPH. Anyone driving this SUV that fast probably should not be driving and should wear a helmet when they walk.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...60&diameter=18

Might want to let them know the GX comes with Bridgestone Duellers as an OE tire too.
Old 11-03-12, 07:51 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by JEB
Check my post and pics at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&goto=newpost.

I currently run Pirelli ATR's on 265/70R17, E rated of course. There are few E rated 18" all terrain tires that I would recommend. These tireswill give you a 32.8" diameter as opposed to the factory 30.5 diameter".

I also trailer a lot and have had no issues.

Hope this helps.
32.8" tires will rub without a lift!

Koz
Old 11-03-12, 08:32 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by ned500
Because of the liability of putting on any tire that deviates from the OEM specs, most big name suppliers (if not all) will not install them. They will sell them to you but will not install them. Just buy them and have a local tire shop install them.

BTW - "T" rated tires are good up to 118 mph and I'm sure the speed limiter is set at less then that. Also, going over that top speed rating (118 mph) would have to be maintained for a period of time (10 or 20 minutes) before any problems could accrue. I once (young and dumb) had my cruise control set at 1 mph below the speed limiter (approx 115 mph) for a half hour with "E" rated LTs (brand new tires with 80 psi, on a blown PreRunner). You will not have any speed related problems with “T’ speed rated tires on the GX (in good condition)! If you plan on speeds over 80 mph, bump up the pressure to near max (Texas 85 mph speed limit).

Koz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT Tires on GX460