GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

LT Tires on GX460

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 10:51 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I only had time to put the front rotors and pads in and bedded the pads (rear set-up next week). I will also paint the calipers black. The old pads were glazed and the new set-up has eliminated the pulsing. I really didn't feel to much difference in the brake performance. I did see more brake dust and I will give a little time to fully evaluate the performance. I think I will be changing the pads to ceramic.
Attached Thumbnails LT Tires on GX460-old-rotor.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-new-rotor.jpg   LT Tires on GX460-front.jpg  

Last edited by Koz; 10-22-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-22-12, 11:54 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I had the new 275/65/18 LTX MS2 installed and I'm totally satisfied with the look, fit and performance. I took a 100mile trip (mostly highway) and put them through as much hard riding as I could and they are night and day compared to the OEM HPs. I'm running them at 55 psi and they are so smooth and do everything better then the OEMs. They even take the expansion joints better. The LTs are basically 32" and I had no problems with rubbing and the wheel alignment was perfect. Check out how nice they fill the wheel wells. GREAT riding tire!
I was incredulous about your inflation pressure until I read Michelin's specs:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

If I'm reading this right, the maximum load for a single tire is 3,415 pounds at 80 PSI! Is 80 PSI what is molded on the sidewall as the maximum pressure? How did you decide that 55 PSI is the right pressure?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We're planning our trip to Florida starting next month ... 1,200 miles each way plus day trips. We have a little over 27,000 miles on our OEM tires (Latitude Tour HPs). I may be tire shopping when we return ... hopefully, not before we leave!
Old 10-22-12, 12:07 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

P.P.S. I made the mistake of showing your pictures to my 'motorhead' wife, who now has a bad case of "tire envy". Want to guess what she's getting for Christmas?

Any advice on where and when to go tire shopping or just Google for the best price? We have a "Just Tires" right up the street from us.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-22-12, 12:08 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I was incredulous about your inflation pressure until I read Michelin's specs:

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

If I'm reading this right, the maximum load for a single tire is 3,415 pounds at 80 PSI! Is 80 PSI what is molded on the sidewall as the maximum pressure? How did you decide that 55 PSI is the right pressure?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. We're planning our trip to Florida starting next month ... 1,200 miles each way plus day trips. We have a little over 27,000 miles on our OEM tires (Latitude Tour HPs). I may be tire shopping when we return ... hopefully, not before we leave!
The max psi stamped on the tire is 80psi. I've run LTs on on other vehicles and between 55 & 60 is ideal with no trailer and 65 to 70 with the trailer. If you don't carry heavy loads or pull a trailer you do not need LT - E rated tires. For normal driving P (passenger) tires are 15 lbs lighter (EACH) and would be all you need. I found 40 psi to be the perfect pressure for P tires on heavy SUVs. The GX is 5300 lbs.

Koz
Old 10-22-12, 12:12 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by SaniDel
P.P.S. I made the mistake of showing your pictures to my 'motorhead' wife, who now has a bad case of "tire envy". Want to guess what she's getting for Christmas?

Any advice on where and when to go tire shopping or just Google for the best price? We have a "Just Tires" right up the street from us.
Regards,

SaniDel
There is a $70 rebate at Discount Tire Direct with no tax and free shipping. I think I paid just under a G note.

Koz
Old 10-22-12, 12:12 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Thanks, but it's too late ... in her mind she's already bought new tires! ;-)

I have to agree that they look a lot better than the OEM tires. The GX 460 appears "under-tired" with too much empty space around the tires in the wheel well. If we decide to keep the GX, we'll re-tire just for the looks, even if all it hauls is us!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-22-12, 04:58 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came in at $1300 for 5 at tirerack. Granted that had sales tax and tire warranty included.
Old 10-23-12, 04:09 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by tazdevl
I came in at $1300 for 5 at tirerack. Granted that had sales tax and tire warranty included.
I only bought 4 tires and there is no road hazard for LT tires. $1300 sound about right for 5 with warranty. These tires are worth every penny, huge difference. Everytime I drive it now they feel better and better. I've had just about every top tire out there and these are the best (so far). I can't wait for some snow to get a complete review of them.

Koz
Old 10-23-12, 06:36 AM
Koz

BTW - I just ordered a set (front/back) of ceramic pads. The high performance semi-metallic pads make way to much brake dust. Two days and the wheels are silly black. I went with the same pads that came in my IS350 kit. They are pretty much dust free and I noticed a better initial bit. If they work as good as the IS pads I will be happy. The funny part is they are less expensive then any other ceramic pads and they work great. If I didn't get them with a kit I would have never bought them being so inexpensive.

http://www.buybrakes.com/p-846-power...0V8&submodel3=

Koz
Old 10-23-12, 01:23 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

I only bought 4 tires and there is no road hazard for LT tires.

Koz
Koz, COSTCO gives you Road Hazard coverage for no extra charge.

~ Cap
Old 10-23-12, 02:20 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by Capirato
Koz, COSTCO gives you Road Hazard coverage for no extra charge.

~ Cap
Will they road hazard LT tires? Costco tires cost more (plus tax) and they will not install bigger tires then OEM.

Koz
Old 10-23-12, 05:13 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Koz

Will they road hazard LT tires? Costco tires cost more (plus tax) and they will not install bigger tires then OEM.

Koz
Koz, yes, they provide a Road Hazard Waranty.
Also, a 70,000 Mile Warranty
Mount them for free.
They will Rotate and Balance the tires every 7,500 miles.
You can go anytime and they will check your tire pressure and add if necessary with Nitrogen.
I bought four Michelin LTX M/S 2 ALL SEASON.
P265/60R 18 109T ORWL
Cost was $1,006.51 including Taxes and Disposal Fee.

~ Cap
Old 10-23-12, 05:39 PM
Koz

Koz, yes, they provide a Road Hazard Waranty.
Also, a 70,000 Mile Warranty
Mount them for free.
They will Rotate and Balance the tires every 7,500 miles.
You can go anytime and they will check your tire pressure and add if necessary with Nitrogen.
I bought four Michelin LTX M/S 2 ALL SEASON.
P265/60R 18 109T ORWL
Cost was $1,006.51 including Taxes and Disposal Fee.

~ Cap

There is no road hazard on LT tires (not sure about Costco) and they will not install any tire that is not the OEM size. So I could not buy them there even if they were cheaper, which they weren't. The price you paid is for "P" (passenger) tires not LTs. LTs are approx $25 per tire more then "P" tires.

Koz
Old 10-23-12, 07:29 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Koz

There is no road hazard on LT tires (not sure about Costco) and they will not install any tire that is not the OEM size. So I could not buy them there even if they were cheaper, which they weren't. The price you paid is for "P" (passenger) tires not LTs. LTs are approx $25 per tire more then "P" tires.

Koz
Koz, your tires are exactly the same as mine, except for the size. I compared mine with the pictures of your tire and the tread that you previously provided.
COSTCO definitely provides a Road Hazard Warranty at no extra charge. I have already had one of my tires replaced under the warranty.
You are right, that they will not install any tire that is not the OEM size.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 10-24-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 06:45 AM
Koz

Koz, your tires are exactly the same as mine, except for the size. I compared mine with the picture of the tread that you previously provided.
COSTCO definitely provides a Road Hazard Warranty at no extra charge. I have already had one of my tires replaced under the warranty.
You are right, that they will not install any tire that is not the OEM size.

~ Cap
Let me share a little info on the differences between “P” and “LT” tires (Michelin LTX MS2s). The LTs are “Green X” rated and the “P” is not. The difference is in the construction. If you take the exact same size tires (I’ll use the 275/65/18 as an example), the Green X tire has a narrower tread width (8.3” to 9”) which reduces the rolling resistance. The tread depth is deeper on the Green X by 1.5/32” which also reduces rolling resistance (less tread depth more rolling resistance). The rubber compound is slightly different to increase less rolling resistance. Because of the LT’s construction they can be inflated to 80psi. Every lbs. of pressure equals 1.4% of rolling resistance efficiency (this is why keeping the correct pressure is so important). In the end the Green X rating equals, up to 15% more rolling resistance efficiency or approx 2 to 3 mpg (same size tires). Hopefully the Green X design will negate the extra weight of the LTs compared to the OEM sized “P” tire (15lbs. each diff). I have not yet compared the mileage with the LTs.

The sidewall is stronger (1 more ply) on the LTs. There is a slight difference in the tread pattern (deeper and wider tread lugs). You can see the difference when side by side. The LT has an increased load capacity of approx 800lbs. The LTs are not UTQG rated. There is an 8lbs. difference in total weight between these same sized tires. Basically the design and construction is somewhat different.

Koz

Quick Reply: LT Tires on GX460