GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

First impression

Old 07-02-12, 10:19 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First impression

We currently own a 2006 GX, fully loaded with the sports package including KDSS. Today, we went out to test drive the second generation 2010 GX. I liked the interior especially the third row seats. However, there is hardly any room left with the seats up as compared to the first gen....no big deal. The exterior can take a little bit of getting used to....again should not be a big deal. My biggest surprise was an apparent lack of power compared to our existing one. The shift points appeared to be at a slightly higher rpms. Is this common? The 2010 just had 29k and supposedly had been maintained well. But, one never knows! What other differences you all noticed when you first drove the second gen coming from the first?

Admittedly, I have been spoiled by the "magic ride" of the current GX with what appears to have "monster power". I have never once felt that my current truck could not deliver when I wanted it to....Is this a thing of the past? I would very much want to move on to the next truck as this one just rolled over 75k. However, I want to hear from you all about your experiences. I am hoping that it was our bad luck and we got a poorly maintained truck with 87 octane (?) to test drive!

I know you all are die-hards Lexus fans....however, what other similar SUVs you recommend to test drive? Q7, GL450. anything else?

Thanks.
Cheers.
Old 07-03-12, 06:21 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a 4th gen 4.7 V8 4Runner (which is slightly quicker then the 1st gen GX) and the 2nd gen GX is a little quicker then my V8 4Runner (and gets better gas mileage). The 4.6 V8 is smoother/quieter then the 4.7 which makes it feel slower, it's not.

Koz
Old 07-03-12, 07:02 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you leave the transmission in D(rive) the 2010 GX 460 will aggressively upshift to stay in the highest gear for the speed. That makes the vehicle seem sluggish as the engine is turning so slowly ... not much more than idling, but the fuel mileage on the highway is impressive:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

For better performance, slide the shift lever left into S(port) mode and use the gear indicator on the dashboard as a "shift limiter". You can leave it in 6 all day long and it will perform the same as in D, but the lower the gear the better the performance. I use 5 around town, 4 when slowing or in residential areas, 3 in parking lots and 2 for downhill or manuevering ... 1 is just too low for anything I've encountered.

The 2010 GX 460 transmission will execute non-sequential shifts. For example, while driving on the highway in D, pull the shift lever left into S ... the transmission will go directly from 6 to 4 without a 'bump' at 5. Likewise, if you are in 4 or lower, push and hold the shift lever forward for more than one second ... the transmission will go directly into 6 without intermediate gears.

One more trick ... in D on a downhill run you can force a downshift by tapping the brake pedal. Here in flat Delaware we've gotten it to downshift twice by tapping the brakes, but in the hills of West Texas you will likely get more downshifts! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-03-12, 07:56 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
If you leave the transmission in D(rive) the 2010 GX 460 will aggressively upshift to stay in the highest gear for the speed. That makes the vehicle seem sluggish as the engine is turning so slowly ... not much more than idling, but the fuel mileage on the highway is impressive:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

For better performance, slide the shift lever left into S(port) mode and use the gear indicator on the dashboard as a "shift limiter". You can leave it in 6 all day long and it will perform the same as in D, but the lower the gear the better the performance. I use 5 around town, 4 when slowing or in residential areas, 3 in parking lots and 2 for downhill or manuevering ... 1 is just too low for anything I've encountered.

The 2010 GX 460 transmission will execute non-sequential shifts. For example, while driving on the highway in D, pull the shift lever left into S ... the transmission will go directly from 6 to 4 without a 'bump' at 5. Likewise, if you are in 4 or lower, push and hold the shift lever forward for more than one second ... the transmission will go directly into 6 without intermediate gears.

One more trick ... in D on a downhill run you can force a downshift by tapping the brake pedal. Here in flat Delaware we've gotten it to downshift twice by tapping the brakes, but in the hills of West Texas you will likely get more downshifts! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks SaniDel for the tips. This sounds like my SC to me as I can get a much better and smoother acceleration from dead stop in the "S" mode. Let's see how the new GX works out. We have decided to take another look at other dealerships.

Any significant differences between 2010 and 2011. There are some 2011 available now in my price range. Also, what are some of the main differences between the "base model" and a "premium model". Best I can tell is that the base does not come with ML but has NAV/rear cam. KDSS is now standard.

I went back and read some of the older posts and came across one by Koz. "The difference between the premium and base model is; 3 zone climate control, power folding side mirrors, illuminated frond door sills, cargo cover, semi-aniline leather, heated wood and leather steering wheel, heated/ventilated front seats, heated middle row seats, rear A/C, HID/adaptive/auto leveling headlights with washers, more chrome trim on rear quarter glass, AVS (adaptive variable susp) and EMRAS (auto leveling rear air susp)."

What does AVS do? Similarly, what is EMRAS? Is EMRAS similar to the rear air suspension that my current, first Gen GX has.....the back goes down after a complete stop by letting air out of the rear suspension bags? I like the ride from this feature. However, is it only available in the second gen premium model?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Cheers.

Last edited by Options2k; 07-03-12 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 10:23 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
We currently own a 2006 GX, fully loaded with the sports package including KDSS. Today, we went out to test drive the second generation 2010 GX. I liked the interior especially the third row seats. However, there is hardly any room left with the seats up as compared to the first gen....no big deal. The exterior can take a little bit of getting used to....again should not be a big deal. My biggest surprise was an apparent lack of power compared to our existing one. The shift points appeared to be at a slightly higher rpms. Is this common? The 2010 just had 29k and supposedly had been maintained well. But, one never knows! What other differences you all noticed when you first drove the second gen coming from the first?

Admittedly, I have been spoiled by the "magic ride" of the current GX with what appears to have "monster power". I have never once felt that my current truck could not deliver when I wanted it to....Is this a thing of the past? I would very much want to move on to the next truck as this one just rolled over 75k. However, I want to hear from you all about your experiences. I am hoping that it was our bad luck and we got a poorly maintained truck with 87 octane (?) to test drive!

I know you all are die-hards Lexus fans....however, what other similar SUVs you recommend to test drive? Q7, GL450. anything else?

Thanks.
Cheers.
I bet they put regular fuel in instead of premium. Mine has plenty of power. You might also test drive the Infiniti QX 56. I traded my BMW X5 for the GX. I wouldn't look at an X5.
Old 07-03-12, 10:56 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k
Thanks SaniDel for the tips. This sounds like my SC to me as I can get a much better and smoother acceleration from dead stop in the "S" mode. Let's see how the new GX works out. We have decided to take another look at other dealerships.

Any significant differences between 2010 and 2011. There are some 2011 available now in my price range. Also, what are some of the main differences between the "base model" and a "premium model". Best I can tell is that the base does not come with ML but has NAV/rear cam. KDSS is now standard.

I went back and read some of the older posts and came across one by Koz. "The difference between the premium and base model is; 3 zone climate control, power folding side mirrors, illuminated frond door sills, cargo cover, semi-aniline leather, heated wood and leather steering wheel, heated/ventilated front seats, heated middle row seats, rear A/C, HID/adaptive/auto leveling headlights with washers, more chrome trim on rear quarter glass, AVS (adaptive variable susp) and EMRAS (auto leveling rear air susp)."

What does AVS do? Similarly, what is EMRAS? Is EMRAS similar to the rear air suspension that my current, first Gen GX has.....the back goes down after a complete stop by letting air out of the rear suspension bags? I like the ride from this feature. However, is it only available in the second gen premium model?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Cheers.
You are welcome, Options2k ... happy to help.

There are no significant differences between the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 model years of the GX 460 ... you would have to pour over the specifications and compare vehicles from different model years side-by-side to spot those few differences in trim and chrome which keep each model year from being identical to the next.

The "real deal" is the difference between the base and premium versions and it has to do with the suspension. A base version can be optioned-up and a premium version can be optioned-down, but their fundamental difference is immutable, having to do with the suspension. For example, my base unit (early production November 2000) is optioned up with some of the standard features on the premium version, such as the 3 zone climate control, navigation and rear-view camera. However, there is no way that a base unit will be available with the "suspension tricks" that you enjoy with your GX 470 ... those are only available in the premium.

It seems you should confine your shopping to premium versions of the GX 460 to get the features with which you are familiar. Koz and others who own premium versions would know more than me about their features ... let me know if you find a base unit at the right price if you are willing to forgo premium features.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 07-03-12 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 05:31 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
You are welcome, Options2k ... happy to help.

There are no significant differences between the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 model years of the GX 460 ... you would have to pour over the specifications and compare vehicles from different model years side-by-side to spot those few differences in trim and chrome which keep each model year from being identical to the next.

The "real deal" is the difference between the base and premium versions and it has to do with the suspension. A base version can be optioned-up and a premium version can be optioned-down, but their fundamental difference is immutable, having to do with the suspension. For example, my base unit (early production November 2000) is optioned up with some of the standard features on the premium version, such as the 3 zone climate control, navigation and rear-view camera. However, there is no way that a base unit will be available with the "suspension tricks" that you enjoy with your GX 470 ... those are only available in the premium.

It seems you should confine your shopping to premium versions of the GX 460 to get the features with which you are familiar. Koz and others who own premium versions would know more than me about their features ... let me know if you find a base unit at the right price if you are willing to forgo premium features.
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks SaniDel. I appreciate your response. My current GX is my wife's daily driver. She has often remarked that she has the "height advantage" of a truck but the ride quality of a sedan (in terms of smoothness)! She does not want a car....she wants another SUV like the GX. If the second gen, base model does not have the air suspension similar to my current GX then I am afraid I will have to confine my search to the premium models.

Another question: What search term I can use for the side cameras? What is this option called?

Cheers.
Old 07-03-12, 05:40 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craig B
I bet they put regular fuel in instead of premium. Mine has plenty of power.
I bet something like this. I looked at the picture of your truck. My wife wants a silver/Tungsten pearl with the dark interior, similar to yours. Probably, now need to narrow the search in the premium trim based on what I am learning about the suspension system differences between the two trims. I know the height level switches, the air bags and the air compressor could be quite expensive to maintain but what a difference in ride quality. It's all worth it!

Thanks.
Cheers.
Old 07-05-12, 08:29 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Update

We test drove a 2010 base model (with 30k miles) and a new 2012 premium model. Both accelerated smoothly and had plenty of power thus the initial experience at the MB dealer was probably due to a poorly maintained car or it had regular gas! However, there is a difference in the ride quality. The base model felt like a "sportier suspension" but the premium model had a more "comfortable" ride (it was in comfort mode). When I switched to the sport mode in the premium it felt almost like the base model. My wife commented that the premium GX (in comfort mode) drove like her first gen truck. She liked it

She also liked the Tungsten pearl in ECRU interior. The chrome looks fantastic in this color. Now the search begins. Also, need to figure out what is best for her first gen truck

Thanks for your help.
Cheers.
Old 07-06-12, 06:18 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't think our Lexus dealer does this but when I was looking at a BMW X5 the sales guy offered to loan me a X5 for a couple days over the weekend to see if I liked it. Sometimes it is hard to get to know a car from a short test drive. I wonder if your Lexus dealer would loan you a GX? Probably not but it would be nice.
Old 07-06-12, 09:42 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I don't think our Lexus dealer does this but when I was looking at a BMW X5 the sales guy offered to loan me a X5 for a couple days over the weekend to see if I liked it. Sometimes it is hard to get to know a car from a short test drive. I wonder if your Lexus dealer would loan you a GX? Probably not but it would be nice.
They would if they had a demo.
Old 07-06-12, 09:49 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My Lexus dealer WOULD allow me to take any cars home for extended period. I agree that a short test drive wouldn't say a lot about the car.

Just ask your dealer to see what they say.