GX 460 Exit Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 07:59 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GX 460 Exit Strategy

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html

The above thread considered the unhappy possibility that the GX 460 may go the way of the SC ... a slow "death march" with trivial or no improvements. Early adopters like me may need an "exit strategy" if the 2014 GX is "more of the same" and certainly if the 2015 GX is also unchanged. What are the alternatives to the GX for no sooner than the 2014 model year and no later than the 2015 model year?

I've already considered and rejected the obvious candidates ... the LX is too large and the RX is a crossover, which means I would have to consider brands other than Lexus. That is not good news, but Lexus may force the issue if they don't continue to invest in the GX. I would not want to continue owning a vehicle that was 'abandoned' by its manufacturer as the potential resale value would plummet.

Which vehicles would you consider as replacements for your GX?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-24-12, 09:24 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would probably consider a Mercedes G-Class. It's about the same size, even better off-road capability, and would still look great 25 years later (that's a bonus)! However, the ride might bother me, as it doesn't have a sophisticated suspension system tuned specially for on-road use like the Lexus GX. Mercedes are known to have quite a few electrical problems, so I would expect more maintenance would be needed; on the plus size though, the G-Class is quite simple mechanically to fix so it should be OK. The only reason I didn't get the G-Class, and got the Lexus GX, is because the Mercedes costs a lot more, and can only be ordered once a year here in Vancouver.
Old 06-24-12, 12:10 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my BMW X5 for the GX. During four years of ownership, I got to know each of the BMW dealer service agents by first name. The X5 was in the shop for myriad electrical problems. I would seriously recommend reading up on X5 problems before considering it as a replacement for your GX.
Old 06-24-12, 04:02 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
I traded my BMW X5 for the GX. During four years of ownership, I got to know each of the BMW dealer service agents by first name. The X5 was in the shop for myriad electrical problems. I would seriously recommend reading up on X5 problems before considering it as a replacement for your GX.
Same here, I traded my X5 for the GX. I also had a lot of electrical problems with my X5. Mine was a lemon from day one. I won't ever purchase another BMW. That was my 4th and last BMW.

Last edited by Craig B; 06-25-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 04:39 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by akfd
I would probably consider a Mercedes G-Class.
Thanks akfd ... I'll start my research on the G-Class!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-24-12, 04:47 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Thanks rockydog and Craig B ... your negative recommendations are even more valuable! I've never owned a BMW, always wanted to own a BMW, but Lexus got to me first and still 'owns' me. Your BMW experiences are like those of other friends and neighbors, which is an inconvenience we can not tolerate as we own only one vehicle. I would have to think long and hard about giving up on what we expect and on what we can rely from Lexus.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-24-12, 05:00 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SaniDel, my Porsche Cayenne is rock solid!
Old 06-24-12, 05:03 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by frank69m
SaniDel, my Porsche Cayenne is rock solid!
Thanks, Frank ... Porsche is another brand I've always admired, but never owned! My understanding is that the Porsche Cayenne is available in several performance levels ... any recommendation there?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-24-12, 05:46 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

why would resale plummet on the gx if it is no longer made? if anything, it will be better as there are no alternatives to consider.

why would you be concerned about resale? these suvs are money sinks really. doesnt matter which one you buy. Last i checked, oil is being consumed hand over fist more than the earth will make it....prices will likely be $6/gallon by end of decade
Old 06-24-12, 06:06 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
why would resale plummet on the gx if it is no longer made? if anything, it will be better as there are no alternatives to consider.

why would you be concerned about resale? these suvs are money sinks really. doesnt matter which one you buy. Last i checked, oil is being consumed hand over fist more than the earth will make it....prices will likely be $6/gallon by end of decade
I hope you are right, T4Fun. Do we have any information about how the SC held its value after it went out of production? Perhaps the GX would become a collectors item ;-)

We're indifferent to the cost of owning an SUV and the price of gasoline will have little, if any impact on our driving. However, our situation is somewhat different than most (all?) members of this forum. Our 2010 GX 460 is our only vehicle and we have owned only one vehicle at a time since 1996. Is it any surprise that they were all Lexus ... all ten of them?

Unlike those who own multiple vehicles, we don't have the option of keeping a "hangar queen" ... whatever vehicle we own has to meet ALL of our driving needs. The GX 460 does that in spades, but would we be willing to keep the GX 460 if there was no obvious next step?

Further, with only one vehicle, issues such as warranty and reliability are paramount. We plan to buy a new Lexus every four years ... sometimes every five years and we have sometimes traded rapidly, but it isn't obvious that Lexus will have anything new for us in 2014 or 2015. Sure ... we could buy a new 2014 or 2015 GX, but why realize the depreciation for an unchanged vehicle?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 06-24-12, 06:36 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

why do you have to get a new car every 4 years? the tax man must love you. we have 3 cars and intend on keeping it that way. buy another toyota and keep the gx. you'll waste more money buying a new lexus. i drive a corolla for day to day use. I like most people dont wish to "drive" my money if you know what i mean. that being said, i didnt buy the gx cause its a lexus or to show it off. I would of been perfectly happy with the 4runner if it had everything on it I wanted or even a venza/highlander. I would be very comfortable taking this gx to 200k miles and i am sure it would last that long given what ive seen from my corolla and the amount of abuse it takes. It will only take me about 38 more years to get to 200K!
Old 06-25-12, 03:29 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I would guess that you will see a complete re-design in 2016 (according to history). I think you guys are reading a little too far into what changes would be made. By 2016 I wouldn’t be surprised if there will be a much more efficient V8 that would get mid to high in the 20 mpg range. Regardless, I do not see the GX being dropped or converted to a crossover. This vehicle is very desirable in Europe and Asia.

Koz
Old 06-25-12, 05:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I cross shopped the X5, the LR4 and Range Rover Sport. I liked all of these but after doing some research the reliability of these had me going back to the GX. I also heard the X5 isn't that great in bad weather. My wife really wants the LR4 or Range Rover Sport so we may go against the reliability factor and get one soon.
Old 06-25-12, 06:30 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
I cross shopped the X5, the LR4 and Range Rover Sport. I liked all of these but after doing some research the reliability of these had me going back to the GX. I also heard the X5 isn't that great in bad weather. My wife really wants the LR4 or Range Rover Sport so we may go against the reliability factor and get one soon.
Reliability is def something important in a vehicle, but if it is something you really desire (love the design, looks, etc.) and can afford it, I say get it. Keep an old beater car (like a Camry or something) on the side also and the daily car.
Old 06-25-12, 06:32 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Thanks, Frank ... Porsche is another brand I've always admired, but never owned! My understanding is that the Porsche Cayenne is available in several performance levels ... any recommendation there?
Regards,

SaniDel
Depends on your price range, the basic v6 with normal options can run you 70k, if you don't mind a little gas guzzling, then you can get a well equipped S series for 85-90k. They even have an off-road kit with underbody protection.

The good thing about the Cayenne, you can option it as you want and like. Bad thing is, it will cost you.

It's def a different vehicle than the GX, but how many of us off-road. You can do light off-road a Cayenne if you want.

Quick Reply: GX 460 Exit Strategy