GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Next Generation GX May Go Unibody??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 02:19 AM
Calvous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts about the possibility of Lexus offering an option of rear (like the 4 Runner) or front and rear LOCKING differentials?
Old 02-11-13, 04:23 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They already have a locking differential on the GX 460 Premium that I own.
Old 02-11-13, 06:13 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by emaratee
I think it's inevitable that both LX & GX would move to the a uniboday platform, I have experienced that right hand with my Range Rover, built on unibody platform which made the car solid performer on-road and taken nothing of its off-road pros. Introduced in 2002, Dynamically speaking the Range Rover is miles ahead both on-road & off-road compared to the current LX & GX.
Don't take this the wrong way but the GX is every bit as good or better then any Range Rover, on or off road. The Range Rover has its advantages, like more power, but it also is one of the worst reliable vehicles made!

Koz
Old 02-11-13, 06:19 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Calvous
I will be very happy if Lexus would eliminate that horrible rear hatch. Lexus, wake up, everyone hates that rear hatch.
Not everyone dislikes the barn door. I've had both (Limited 4Runner with lift hatch) and I prefer the barn door. My (5'3") wife hated the lift hatch (PITA closing it). Now if it were a powered lift hatch!

Koz
Old 02-11-13, 06:38 AM
Koz

Any thoughts about the possibility of Lexus offering an option of rear (like the 4 Runner) or front and rear LOCKING differentials?
With the full time 4WD, KDSS and the locking center diff (and all the nannies) there is no real need for lockers, unless you plan on very difficult off-roading. In that case the lockers could be added. The GX in stock form is an amazingly capable off-road vehicle.

Koz
Old 02-11-13, 09:52 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Very true, it's simply amazing to handle and drive with confidence. On our fall trip we managed to take a remote road and later it turned into a unpaved road for 50 miles. Never once was i scared to take the GX onto it as i was confident that the truck will not fail me.
Old 02-11-13, 11:36 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Don't take this the wrong way but the GX is every bit as good or better then any Range Rover, on or off road. The Range Rover has its advantages, like more power, but it also is one of the worst reliable vehicles made!

Koz
koz,

Agree with you on the reliability part, eventhough is not as bad as many think (at least for my kind of use) my case re-sell value that made make the move to Lexus .. however, having owned both cars (RR + GX) on-road manners (power aside) the GX is no match for Range Rovers particaurly on high speeds ( +70 mph) ... way too much vertical movement + overly unsettled with a hint of wind + Break is not even close + ZFs gearbox on RR is far smother even in it's 5 speed spec (2005 YM) . That's why I could assure you the GX is not as good as RR on-road.
Old 02-12-13, 05:55 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by emaratee
koz,

Agree with you on the reliability part, eventhough is not as bad as many think (at least for my kind of use) my case re-sell value that made make the move to Lexus .. however, having owned both cars (RR + GX) on-road manners (power aside) the GX is no match for Range Rovers particaurly on high speeds ( +70 mph) ... way too much vertical movement + overly unsettled with a hint of wind + Break is not even close + ZFs gearbox on RR is far smother even in it's 5 speed spec (2005 YM) . That's why I could assure you the GX is not as good as RR on-road.
I respect your opinion/experience with these vehicles but the issues you mention about the GX (460) are not what I have experienced. I see that you are located in Dubai and I'm wondering if the GX is equipped the same as the US vehicle. I can tell you that with the KDSS, AVS (set on sport) and rear air springs my GX does not exhibit any vertical movement an ANY speed (and I have hit the speed limiter). Also, not to bad mouth the OEM tires but changing to LTX MS2's has made a HUGE difference in all aspects of the driving dynamic of the GX. I also tow with my GX and do not even need any type of weight distribution or sway control. Not to trigger the "Tow Police" but I have towed at high speeds (when it was safe on empty interstates) and the GX was always ROCK solid. The only mod I had to do was upgrade the brakes (pads and rotors); because my trailer's electric brakes are not very strong.

BTW - I would think that the RR should have better on road behavior, due to its crossover car like feel and HP advantage. Also, according to recent reliability data, RR's still have serious problems! I'm sure this has negative affect on its resale value.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 03-18-13 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-12-13, 09:00 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Koz
I respect your opinion/experience with these vehicles but the issues you mention about the GX (460) are not what I have experienced. I see that you are located in Dubai and I'm wondering if the GX is equipped the same as the US vehicle. I can tell you that with the KDSS, AVS (set on sport) and rear air springs my GX does not exhibit any vertical movement an ANY speed (and I have hit the speed limiter). Also, not to bad mouth the OEM tires but changing to LTX MS2's has made a HUGE difference in all aspects of the driving dynamic of the GX. I also tow with my GX and do not even need any type of weight distribution or sway control. Not be trigger the "Tow Police" but I have towed at high speeds (when it was safe on empty interstates) and the GX was always ROCK solid. The only mod I had to do was upgrade the brakes (pads and rotors); because my trailer's electric brakes are not very strong.

BTW - I would think that the RR should have better on road behavior, due to its crossover car like feel and HP advantage. Also, according to recent reliability data, RR's still have serious problems! I'm sure this has negative affect on its resale value.

Koz
GXs in Dubai are fully equipped, at least mine .. having lived in the U.S for 5 years
( Virgina/Washington D.C.), roads in Dubai are of "A" grade .. GXs for a Ladder chassis are simply great no questions about it ... but still the RR's unibody, independent front & rear air suspension are things to experience on-road & Off-road; remember their chassis are BMW's piece of work.

My current 2005 RR is a running a 282 hp BMW 4.4 engine .. this ancient engine is stunningly silky smooth and torquy !!

On the tires subject, even though we world a part, most Dubai owner will right off the showroom floor swap their oem dunlops for the much softer Michelins !! .. this seem to be a trend with all Toyota/Lexus suv owners !! .. which I'll be doning very soon.

So if Land Rover been particularly successful with their switch to the unibody, I don't see why Toyota/Lexus won't do it.

I guess the next generations of GXs & LXs will tell.
Old 02-12-13, 11:43 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

MotorTrend SUV of the year is the big and mighty Mercedes GL which is unibody. I think unibody can package easier than BOF.
Old 02-18-13, 06:43 AM
Calvous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
They already have a locking differential on the GX 460 Premium that I own.
Craig
Are you referring to the center locking diff? I am referring to true locking front and/or rear diff. If the Prem package has true locking rear or front diff, I didn't know but that would be great. I have a 2003 LX 470 and I am considering putting ARB lockers on the front and rear.
Cal
Old 02-18-13, 08:40 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Craig
Are you referring to the center locking diff? I am referring to true locking front and/or rear diff. If the Prem package has true locking rear or front diff, I didn't know but that would be great. I have a 2003 LX 470 and I am considering putting ARB lockers on the front and rear.
Cal
It's a center locking, not front and rear...
Old 02-19-13, 07:18 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Craig
Cal
Fully optioned Prados come with locking rear and center. I guess Lexus decided that having a locking center with torsen+A-TRAC is enough for vehicle's target audience.
Old 03-17-13, 09:08 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
Being that I am an actual Land Rover Range Rover owner I feel as if I should chime in. I bought my Range Rover new in 2011. The vehicle has been fantastic in every way. We have had no issues other than needing to replace the dvd player for the rear seat entertainment. I think people who do not own a Land Rover do not have the experience to truthfully say what the reliability actually is. Yes, Land Rover was known to have poor reliability at one time, but the brand as a whole and especially the Range Rover has been solid for the past few years. On another note, the Land Rover Range Rover is more inline with competitors like the Lexus LX, and the Land Rover LR4 is a more direct competitor to the Lexus GX. As far as resale goes, Land Rover does not discount Range Rovers. It is very hard to get more than $1,000 off msrp, with many buyers paying full retail. Due to this, resale value on late model Land Rovers is fairy good and comparable to that of Lexus.

As a die hard Lexus fan (we have owned multiple Lexus's, countless Toyotas), my wife and I will be ordering our second Land Rover (13 LR4) in the next month.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 03-17-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 06:08 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Being that I am an actual Land Rover Range Rover owner I feel as if I should chime in. I bought my Range Rover new in 2011. The vehicle has been fantastic in every way. We have had no issues other than needing to replace the dvd player for the rear seat entertainment. I think people who do not own a Land Rover do not have the experience to truthfully say what the reliability actually is. Yes, Land Rover was known to have poor reliability at one time, but the brand as a whole and especially the Range Rover has been solid for the past few years. On another note, the Land Rover Range Rover is more inline with competitors like the Lexus LX, and the Land Rover LR4 is a more direct competitor to the Lexus GX. As far as resale goes, Land Rover does not discount Range Rovers. It is very hard to get more than $1,000 off msrp, with many buyers paying full retail. Due to this, resale value on late model Land Rovers is fairy good and comparable to that of Lexus.

As a die hard Lexus fan (we have owned multiple Lexus's, countless Toyotas), my wife and I will be ordering our second Land Rover (13 LR4) in the next month.
Don't take this the wrong way, but anecdotal evidence really isn't meaningful at all which is why you need to look at a larger population to come to any conclusion regarding reliability. This is why consumer reports or any other rating agency means so much since they take a much larger population to determine their ratings. Fact is Land Rover, as much as I like them, is considered less reliable than almost any other manufacturer based on statistics. That isn't to say it is not a great truck, just that they have a much better chance of having issues. When I test drove a LR at least the salesperson was honest and said that their reliability is getting better and didn't say that they were great.

Quick Reply: Next Generation GX May Go Unibody??