GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Water Leaks - Interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 08:18 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Water Leaks - Interior

So I go to this fancy laser carwash and notice the back of my head getting wet. Seems the back of the moon roof is letting in water when the high pressure jet passes over, it's not a lot but, this never happened to my other vehicles at the same wash.

I have noticed when the roof opens, it compresses further prior to sliding open. I wonder if it's somehow out of adjustment?

I am not getting an "Open Moon Roof" notice on the dash.
Old 04-09-12, 09:28 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I always wash mine by hand, but I would take it to the dealer and see what they can do. This is the first time I've heard of this on the GX 460...
Old 04-09-12, 11:41 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If you touch the button for a split second the glass doesn't seat properly and is slightly open, with no indication. Also, crud can build up in the seal area and cause a tiny gap and leak. Just some things to check before you go to the stealer.

Koz
Old 05-29-12, 12:01 PM
Tnorling
Rookie

Update* Just finished with my 10K service, the technician looked at the moon roof and found nothing wrong, claimed they spend a good deal of time looking at the seals and suggested I try a different carwash. I guess I'm satisfied.
Old 05-29-12, 07:45 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the lcd cluster will say "moonroof open" when left open
Old 06-04-12, 05:15 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

the lcd cluster will say "moonroof open" when left open

This message was not showing
Old 01-29-13, 09:34 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I understand all moonroofs which can be tilted up leak by design and have drain tubes to drain water out of the moonroof tray assembly.

If you tilt the moonroof up there is a seal on the outside but there is also one more seal (curved up) inside the cabin. Whatever water gets through the outside seal should be stopped by the inside seal and then drained down the tubes.

What I've noticed is that sometimes a blow dryer on a car wash can force enough air through the seals as to carry a couple of drips of water into the inside of a vehicle with the air but it only happens under very narrow circumstances.
Old 01-29-13, 09:45 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you told me it's a land rover ... maybe wouldn't be surprised even though the newer generation are leak free ... but

still own a 1996 Land Cruiser, 2003 Prado both with moon-roofs .. and none of these would leak while in a auto-car wash ..
Old 01-29-13, 09:50 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The water isn't supposed to be inside the cabin of course. But the outside seal is not water tight, otherwise why there would be drain tubes inside the moonroof?
Old 01-30-13, 12:08 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
The water isn't supposed to be inside the cabin of course. But the outside seal is not water tight, otherwise why there would be drain tubes inside the moonroof?
Well said, Quadro! The problem is more likely that the drain tubes are clogged. May I suggest opening the sun roof, clearing the drain holes of any debris, then carefully pouring water into the 'trough' that catches the water that inevitably leaks around the moonroof?

Confirm that the trough drains, that water runs out onto the ground and that eventually all the water drains away. That should solve the problem ... but open and close the moonroof just before entering the car wash to be sure it closes fully. For good measure, open and close all the windows as well.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Our 2010 GX is always "power washed" and usually once per week. After more than a hundred times through the car wash it has never leaked a drop.
Old 01-30-13, 01:36 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Sanidel,

With all the power washes in a car wash do you find yourself waxing the car every 2 months?
Old 01-30-13, 04:19 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Sanidel,

With all the power washes in a car wash do you find yourself waxing the car every 2 months?
Thanks for asking, nsaldanh!

We have our GX detailed at the dealer twice a year, concurrent with its semi-annual service. Our dealership keeps our GX two days, one to do the maintenance and one to do the detail and we use their loaner for both days. So, in three years of ownership we've likely had it power washed over a hundred times and detailed five times.

The power car wash does a good job and it is only about two miles away, but when I get it home I like to take a clean towel and wipe any water drops, go around the door edges and in general "put my hands and eyes" on every exterior surface. In my opinion, the exterior appearance is the same as when it was new.

Granted, Starfire Pearl ... a.k.a. white may be an easier exterior color to maintain than darker colors and especially black. I've never owned a black car, but I've heard they are hard to maintain ... are they?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-31-13, 05:38 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Granted, Starfire Pearl ... a.k.a. white may be an easier exterior color to maintain than darker colors and especially black. I've never owned a black car, but I've heard they are hard to maintain ... are they?
Regards,

SaniDel
For a daily driver white is way easier to maintain. I love black cars but after having one for a daily driver I won't do it again. Surface scratches, dings, etc. show up easily where white or silver hides them better. Also, while black looks better than any color when clean, it looks dirty quicker and white or silver can hide that better as well. That is really the only reason I got white for my daily drivers and the fact that I personally like starfire pearl.
Old 01-31-13, 06:20 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

NEVER black again!

Koz
Old 09-12-17, 02:03 PM
nucleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof drain clog causing electrical problems?

Hello, all! I've got a 2010 GX 460 that just turned 70,000 miles. It was functioning PERFECTLY yesterday, but this morning I got the Check Engine, 4LO, and Traction control warning, and the car would not accelerate at all. (I'm told it went into Wussie mode!)

Had it towed to the dealer. First, they said secondary air pump was at fault, before looking at it. Then they said voltage readings were low, and the battery was bad. Changed the battery, and now they are telling me there was "water all in the electrical system from a clogged sunroof drain." Anyone heard of this? Is it legitimate or am I getting ripped off?

Thanks!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by nucleon:
Mbooth (12-11-19), tgervacio (02-09-24)

Quick Reply: Water Leaks - Interior