GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

rear seat dvd

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 02:17 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear seat dvd

I need some advice, i am having difficulty finding the exact gx that I want and I really didnt want to budge on my options or colors, I have found a car that meets all my wants except does not have rear seat DVD, the dealership says that they can install an aftermarket rear seat dvd system, from my limited knowledge I think they just swap out the lexus headrests for generic headrest with monitors. What are the limitations to this system since its basically the same price as if it was factory. I am really torn because I love the look of the factory monitors.
Old 02-15-12, 03:54 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

great question as I just bought one today that won't arrive for a couple of weeks and we had the same issue.... paying nearly $3000 for the "dealer installed DVD players" and hoping I didn't make a mistake....
Old 02-15-12, 04:30 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Did you get any specs on the new dvd system and who makes the system, I have seen aftermarket headrest systems form $350-$2500 online. Really confusing and didnt want to be foreced into a decision by the dealership. I just dont want it to look cheesy its an expensive car and I have seen the replacement headrests not match the leather exactly and look horrible. Also im not sure if they would have all of the same features as factory
Old 02-15-12, 06:27 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

didn't get the specs but I remember seeing them in the parts area in the past when previously when waiting for a car service.... not sure if I should have just "gone with" the $3k "lexus" dealer aftermarket install job... I think I'll be researching this as much as possible for the next few days and see if i can/should strike this from the "deal"...
Old 02-15-12, 08:16 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

For some reason a lot of the new GX's don't come with the RES, I had to order mine the way I wanted it because of this. All of the dealers I went to wanted to put their aftermarket monitors in but I wanted to be able to control it with the factory head unit and hear it through the ML system. They all try and say the aftermarket is better because you can watch different videos on each monitor and there are advantages but unless it is hard wired into the system you will have to tune your radio to a certain station to listen to it which I find unacceptable. Plus the price is the nearly the same since invoice on the factory RES is $2,400. I had a 2008 GX and it wasn't that hard to find one with the RES, not sure why it is so hard now. When I buy a new car I want what I want especially at this price point without compromise.
Old 02-15-12, 10:09 PM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

After market players will need to change the headrest and many aftermarket headrests are very uncomfortable.
Old 02-16-12, 10:26 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an aftermarket dvd set up like you describe on my 2010 when it first came out and they were HORRIBLE. So bad I made them take it out right away. They made the front headrests extremely uncomfortable. Not sure what brand they are recommending but just keep the issues in mind.

Don't know how to post a link to the thread but I'll try:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...vd-system.html

Just do a search for headrest in the second generation GX forum and you'll find it.

Last edited by wannaGX; 02-16-12 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 10:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

^^^ Those look horrible. The one's from Sewell look better if you have to go aftermarket:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2012/4617.html
Old 02-16-12, 10:58 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
^^^ Those look horrible. The one's from Sewell look better if you have to go aftermarket:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2012/4617.html
ahm, mine were from Sewell, so. . . . guess they changed their supplier. Good for Ronnie.
Old 02-16-12, 06:07 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

I went back to the stealership today and looked at the Invision 7" Headrest DVD players they had installed on a floor model GX.... The design of the headrest looks different/smaller and doesn't stick out forward like the ones on the link above. They also said the "electronics" part is a "brand new model" just released in the last 30 days and that these are much better and can stream audio/video from an ipod/pad/phone..... I think for now I'm just going to have them install it when my GX arrives and have them take it out if I'm not satisfied.