GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 08:32 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!

Hi everyone. I'll probably be signing off from these forums. I've been on here for 6+ months gathering info for my GX460 purchase. (I do lots of research before I spend this type of money). In the end, I decided not to purchase a GX460.

Here are my reasons and mind you, some of these are just my opinions and you can disagree if you wish:

- Lexus prestige and reputation seems to have gone down over the last couple of years with all the recalls and perceived problems. Remember, some of this is just perception as all cars have issues. In fact, Toyota just did another major steering issue recall the last day or so. I bought a 2003 4runner when it first came out. At 103k, I had a major engine issue and Toyota refused to honor the 100k extended warranty. Come on, 3k? I still have this vehicle.

- From what a lot of forum members have mentioned, Lexus never really addressed the 50-60mph Steering wheel issue that a lot of you have complained about. Sandiel will say all cars have issues. I understand this, but it seems people didn't have good service and feedback from their dealers on this.

- Something about Toyota and Lexus technology has been stagnant:
Examples:
- Why does this 60k $ vehicle only have 300hp from a V8? If you look at other competitors, they have more. In some cases, from a V6 option. Does this say Toyota isn't really putting money into research?
- Why does this car only have an 18" rim option? Rivals have 18", but have 19 and 20 options. Width of rims are thin also.
- Most vehicles in this same class (eg germans) have LED daytime running lights. Lexus has only come out with this on the IS. why? Audi, Mercedes, and even BMW has those cool round circle daytime running lights. Why can't Lexus do the same?
- Why does the vehicle weigh over 5,000lbs? I mean, this was over 1000lbs heavier than my old SUV. I understand all the electronics, etc, but come on. Newer technology with alluminum here?
- With this weight, vehicle was way way too top heavy and tall.

in the end, it was more of a waivering reputation on Lexus' part that I choose not to purchase a vehicle.

I may get some flame because this is a Lexus forum, but I'm just giving you guys my opinion. I still do like the car, but there are better options for my needs.

I really really appreciate all the information I've gotten from all of you. Anyways, take care all and thanks!
Old 11-09-11, 08:43 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what will you be getting? You can always stick around or come back periodically. Some members on here don't own a Lexus or owns other cars in addition to Lexus. It is your choice to come and go but don't let ownership (or lack thereof) make you feel you need to go.
The following users liked this post:
qwertykid0 (11-21-20)
Old 11-09-11, 09:21 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Good luck finding the vehicle that fits your needs, take care. Be sure to let us know that perfect SUV!

Koz
Old 11-09-11, 10:09 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m

- Most vehicles in this same class (eg germans) have LED daytime running lights. Lexus has only come out with this on the IS. why? Audi, Mercedes, and even BMW has those cool round circle daytime running lights. Why can't Lexus do the same?
Daytime running lights on cars became mandatory in Europe.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/103267/d...ory-in-europe/

~ Cap
Old 11-09-11, 11:20 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

What SUV are you going to look at? I am just curious since I was in the same position a month or so ago. I just couldn't find something I liked better or had the reliability of Lexus. Sure they have their issues but most are very small and won't leave you on the side of the road. Just regular oil changes for the most part and that is it (at least for my old GX470 with 50k miles on original tires and brakes). I really liked the technology of the BMW X5 and the looks of the Range Rover Sport but just couldn't get past the reliability issues since it was an SUV for the wife. I liked the Mercedes GL but the price skyrocketed once I added the options I wanted. The Audi Q7 was priced right but I didn't care for the interior or exterior of the truck.
Old 11-09-11, 01:39 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
What SUV are you going to look at? I am just curious since I was in the same position a month or so ago. I just couldn't find something I liked better or had the reliability of Lexus. Sure they have their issues but most are very small and won't leave you on the side of the road. Just regular oil changes for the most part and that is it (at least for my old GX470 with 50k miles on original tires and brakes). I really liked the technology of the BMW X5 and the looks of the Range Rover Sport but just couldn't get past the reliability issues since it was an SUV for the wife. I liked the Mercedes GL but the price skyrocketed once I added the options I wanted. The Audi Q7 was priced right but I didn't care for the interior or exterior of the truck.

patfilm, i PM'd you.

I figured Koz and Neo could probably read that anyways as moderators
Old 11-09-11, 04:30 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

patfilm, i PM'd you.

I figured Koz and Neo could probably read that anyways as moderators
I was trying to figure out what you meant by "read that" but assume you meant the PMs. Actually, at our level, we cannot. For the most part, Private Messaging means private.
Old 11-09-11, 04:57 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the honorable mention in your posting and best wishes on your quest. Like others, I hope you will remain a member of our forum to let us know what you choose and the reasons why.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-09-11, 04:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

- Why does this 60k $ vehicle only have 300hp from a V8? If you look at other competitors, they have more. In some cases, from a V6 option. Does this say Toyota isn't really putting money into research?
!
First off, the 4.6 engine in the GX is from the Tundra powertrain, thus the GX is using a truck based engine. The GX has lower end torque than some others.

Their really is no competition for the GX460 as the GX still uses a frame and solid rear axle design.

- Why does this car only have an 18" rim option? Rivals have 18", but have 19 and 20 options. Width of rims are thin also.
You must remember that the GX460 has off-road heritage thanks to its 4runner/Prado roots, traditionally, off-road buyers want smaller wheels and the GX is a really a Lexus badged Toyota Prado.

- Why does the vehicle weigh over 5,000lbs? I mean, this was over 1000lbs heavier than my old SUV. I understand all the electronics, etc, but come on. Newer technology with alluminum here?
- With this weight, vehicle was way way too top heavy and tall.
Again, body of frame, rear axle design. The GX460 has a truck in its roots.

I still do like the car, but there are better options for my needs.
It appears that a RX350 is what you really need.
Old 11-09-11, 05:14 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

>>>>First off, the 4.6 engine in the GX is from the Tundra powertrain, thus the GX is using a truck based engine. The GX has lower end torque than some others.

Doesn't the LS use the same engine?

>>> Why does this car only have an 18" rim option? Rivals have 18", but have 19 and 20 options. Width of rims are thin also.

What about the Escalade? There are lots of American trucks that have 20" + options including the Tahoe

>>>You must remember that the GX460 has off-road heritage thanks to its 4runner/Prado roots, traditionally, off-road buyers want smaller wheels and the GX is a really a Lexus badged Toyota Prado.

Uh, I still have my 4runner. It weighs a 1000lbs less. And it still weighs a lot more than the old GX 470.

>>>It appears that a RX350 is what you really need.

Nope. If I'm going offroading, I'll do it in my 4runner. My pay 65k for a car and go offroading.
Old 11-09-11, 05:58 PM
Clay
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at a 460 or 08-09 470 without nav. I've driven a few and I love the ride. They're amazing in their handling, but I couldn't get past the rear window and how it doesn't roll down. I come from a line of 4runners, and that's really a must have for me. Ultimately, I think I'm going with the '11 or '12 limited 4runner. I'll have to do a bit of work to it, but I know what I'm getting (I have a '10 SR5 now). Dynamat, tint, change the rims, etc.

The other major deal breaker is the lack of flexibility with the integrated nav units. It's not even remotely feasible to change out the nav to an after market head unit With many platforms (the 4runner included), it's a dash kit and an adapter harness.

Sorry to jump into your thread, but it echoed a bit of the same sentiment I have.
Old 11-10-11, 10:26 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The 460 engine is a truck based engine, the same one as the Toyota Tundra. It's not the same as my LS 460. My LS 460 has 381 HP.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you purchase...
Old 11-10-11, 11:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Same engine, different tuning/parts. Main difference is added direct injection and cam timming. Truck engine is tuned to make its power at lower RPMs.

Koz
Old 11-12-11, 11:51 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I am going through the same situation. Wife drives an 08 RX350.
Bought her the 10 RX450h and She did'nt like it. Sold it to my brother and now She is asking for it again saying She will get used to it.
Even the quality seems to lack in the new model. No leather inserts on the door panels as compared to the 08 RX. For some reason the 08 model seemed more stable and solidly built.
I really like th GX but all this steering vibration and bumpy ride has me waiting on it.
Yesterday we drove the BMW X5. Things we like on it were the top view and the side view cameras, much better navigation that dont lock on us while driving, better sound system, seating position, heated steering wheel, rear heated seats and sunshades and not the least the way it drives.
For the record I drive an 05 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury Pkg with 32000 miles.
Am posting after a very long time. Just want to thank all of the members for their support.
SAD.
Old 11-13-11, 02:41 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
Well I am going through the same situation. Wife drives an 08 RX350.
Bought her the 10 RX450h and She did'nt like it. Sold it to my brother and now She is asking for it again saying She will get used to it.
Even the quality seems to lack in the new model. No leather inserts on the door panels as compared to the 08 RX. For some reason the 08 model seemed more stable and solidly built.
I really like th GX but all this steering vibration and bumpy ride has me waiting on it.
Yesterday we drove the BMW X5. Things we like on it were the top view and the side view cameras, much better navigation that dont lock on us while driving, better sound system, seating position, heated steering wheel, rear heated seats and sunshades and not the least the way it drives.
For the record I drive an 05 Lexus LS430 Ultra Luxury Pkg with 32000 miles.
Am posting after a very long time. Just want to thank all of the members for their support.
SAD.
Prior to the GX we owned a 2006 RX 400h, which we thought was a great vehicle ... fast, quiet and quirky enough to keep us interested. We looked forward to the re-designed 2010 RX450h, but were we ever disappointed! It got fat, slow and ... well, don't get me started on that haptic controller and the screen at the end of a long, black tunnel. To add insult to injury Lexus eliminated those nice storage compartments in the trunk for towels and the security shade.

Fortunately, Lexus released the 2010 GX 460 and we are delighted with what we own. We've test driven BMW X5's after every model revision and although we are impressed with their power, their handling and sporty demeanor that's not what we want to own or drive. According to the Wall Street Journal people like us used to drive Cadillac sedans, but now drive luxury SUVs! We couldn't imagine being seen in a Cadillac anything, but I suspect there's some truth to their claim.

If your other car is a 2005 Lexus LS 430 with the Ultra Luxury Package you don't need a truck that tries to be the same. We owned the same sedan with the same option when it first was released, drove it for 30 months, scared ourselves s#!7less with its power and acceleration, but lived to tell! I've owned Corvettes that would have been put to shame by that sedan ... it weighed less than 4,000 pounds!

Thanks for sharing your story and best wishes on finding your next "car of your dreams" ... we're still looking, but the GX is it for now.
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Signing off. Decided not to purchase GX460. Wanted to thank u all!