GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 11:28 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rxgxmdx
One thing I don't like the OEM system is that you cannot search POIs while driving. I understand it is a safety/liability thing. But it is extremely inconvenient. When traveling I often need to figure out which exit to take off the highway, based on gas stations, stores, or restaurants.
I only use Shell V-Power (because it is top tier gas and I get 5% off w/Shell plat card) What I have done is set the Shell POI icons (only Shell) to display (while stopped and you only have to do this once) all the time and where ever I go all Shells show on the map. You can do this with whatever icons you need. You also can use the voice commands to display them while moving, you just have to practice using voice commands. You also can use eDestination if you have it.

Koz
Old 10-14-11, 12:48 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know what version # is the latest map software release?
Old 10-14-11, 04:47 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When we took delivery of our early-production 2010 GX 460 we received the appended letter from XM with our new vehicle. Three months of complimentary service were provided and the satellite radio service had already been activated. By the time the complimentary service period expired we were comfortable making a decision on whether to continue the service.

I suspect your problem is 'political' rather than technical ... XM Satellite Radio may not have extended this program to Lexus dealers outside the United States. It may be necessary for you to become their subscriber first, then to activate their service in your new vehicle.
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates-xm-satellite-radio-letter.jpg  
Old 10-14-11, 06:40 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I only use Shell V-Power (because it is top tier gas and I get 5% off w/Shell plat card) What I have done is set the Shell POI icons (only Shell) to display (while stopped and you only have to do this once) all the time and where ever I go all Shells show on the map. You can do this with whatever icons you need. You also can use the voice commands to display them while moving, you just have to practice using voice commands. You also can use eDestination if you have it.

Koz
i wish we had shell here, i am stuck using sunoco
Old 10-14-11, 06:59 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That override unit is impressive. Thanks.

We don't have many Shell stations here either. I usually don't stick with a particular brand. Some independently owned gas stations have the best prices.
Old 10-15-11, 06:43 AM
dcurcio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have upgraded my 2007 GX with v10.1 which I believe is the latest. I am very happy with it...though it does seem to be a little slower than my previous version.
Old 10-15-11, 07:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
Does anyone know what version # is the latest map software release?
11.1 is coming out now.
Old 10-15-11, 07:53 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i wish we had shell here, i am stuck using sunoco
off topic, but you do realize that all gas is exactly the same except for the cleaning additives they add at the rack. . . . ? It's all commingled in the pipeline (usually, anyway unless you're close to a refinery and it's trucked straight to the station). the no name brands are selling the same crap for cheaper. Just sayin.
The following users liked this post:
Oldmanb777 (05-01-17)
Old 10-15-11, 01:31 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I would bet the 170.00 doesn't include labor charges...
Old 10-15-11, 04:45 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by wannaGX
off topic, but you do realize that all gas is exactly the same except for the cleaning additives they add at the rack. . . . ? It's all commingled in the pipeline (usually, anyway unless you're close to a refinery and it's trucked straight to the station). the no name brands are selling the same crap for cheaper. Just sayin.
Not all are the same!

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Koz
Old 10-16-11, 07:35 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
Not all are the same!

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Koz
I'll say it again - they're exactly the same except for the cleaning additives. If you believe the hype (marketing) about the difference the additives make then that's good marketing. Half the time the no name brand has the same additives. But as with any marketing, if you believe it and you feel better buying a certain brand then go for it!

I was just pointing this out to the people who mistakenly think that buying Exxon gas means it was refined by Exxon bc it's likely not. Even the refiners admit you simply can't know who refined the gas.
Oldmanb777 (05-01-17)
Old 10-16-11, 10:15 AM
Koz

I'll say it again - they're exactly the same except for the cleaning additives. If you believe the hype (marketing) about the difference the additives make then that's good marketing. Half the time the no name brand has the same additives. But as with any marketing, if you believe it and you feel better buying a certain brand then go for it!

I was just pointing this out to the people who mistakenly think that buying Exxon gas means it was refined by Exxon bc it's likely not. Even the refiners admit you simply can't know who refined the gas.
This subject is like several others such as; is synthetic better then petro motor oil, which are the best tires, etc. Everyone has their opinion which can be based on many different factors (hearsay, personal opinion, testing, technical data, etc.). The fact is there are only a few oil companies that actually refine gas, therefor many no-name gas stations are getting there gas from the same place, but there is absolutely a difference between top tier fuel and non-top tier fuel because of its specific additive package, which is formulated on strict standards and testing. Top Tier standards in detergents additives far exceed the EPA's standards. These are the top tier technical standards and testing requirements (if interested);

1.1 Retail Gasoline Performance Standards. The deposit control performance of unleaded gasoline conforming to section 1 of this document shall be met at the retail level in all grades of gasoline sold by a fuel company in all marketing areas of a selected nation. In addition, conformance to the standards shall mean gasoline sold in the selected nation shall not contain metallic additives, including methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).

1.2 Deposit Control Additive Requirements. The deposit control additive used to meet the performance Standards described in 1.3 shall meet the substantially similar definition under Section 211(f) of the Clean Air Act. Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79.

1.3 Deposit Control Initial Performance Standards. Initial deposit control performance shall be demonstrated using the tests shown below.

1.3.1 Intake Valve Keep Clean Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.1.1 Test Method. Intake valve deposit (IVD) keep clean performance shall be demonstrated using ASTM D 6201, Standard Test Method for Dynamometer Evaluation of Unleaded Spark-lgnition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation. Tests demonstrating base fuel minimum deposit level (1.3.1.2) and additive performance (1.3.1.3) shall be conducted using the same engine block and cylinder head. All results shall be derived from operationally valid tests in accordance with the test validation criteria of ASTM D 6201. IVD results shall be reported for individual valves and as an average of all valves.

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
Contain no less than 28 volume percent aromatics.
Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
Produce a 90% evaporation distillation temperature no less than 290°F.
Produce IVD no less than 500 mg averaged over all intake valves.

1.3.1.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 shall contain enough deposit control additive such the IVD is no more than 50 mg averaged over all intake valves. Results for individual valves and an average shall be reported. The unwashed gum level of the fuel containing deposit control additive shall be determined according to ASTM D 381 and reported.

1.3.2 Combustion Chamber Deposit Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.2.1 Test Method. Combustion chamber deposits (CCD) shall be collected and weighed along with IVD using ASTM D 6201, Standard Test Method for Dynamometer Evaluation of Unleaded Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel for Intake Valve Deposit Formation. ASTM D 6201 does not contain a procedure for collecting and measuring CCD. Adapting a scrape and weigh procedure developed by CARB is recommended (see referenced test method dated March 12, 1999). Results for individual cylinders and an average shall be reported.

1.3.2.2 Base Fuel. Combustion chamber deposits shall be measured for the base fuel from 1.3.1.2.

1.3.2.3 Demonstration of Performance. The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 treated with additive at the concentration meeting the standard found in 1.3.1.3 shall not result in more than 140% of the average CCD weight for the base fuel without additive.

1.3.3 Fuel Injector Fouling Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.3.1 Test Method. Fuel injector fouling shall be measured using the TOP TIER fuel injector fouling vehicle test available from GM. GM will run the test on a first-come-first-served basis and shall make the method available to those who wish to run the test on their own.

1.3.3.2 Base Fuel. Two options for base fuel are available:

1.3.3.2.1 Option 1. A full boiling range hydrocarbon gasoline or gasoline blending component, without oxygenates and without deposit control additives, that results in at least five inoperative injectors when tested by the method in 1.3.3.1.

1.3.3.2.2 Option 2. Federal emissions test gasoline specified in DFR 86.113-04, into which 4-methylbenzenethiol (WARNING: Flammable solid; irritant) has been blended at a concentration of 56 mg/L. The blended fuel must result in at least four inoperative injectors when tested by the method in 1.3.3.1. the Federal emissions gasoline, without deposit control additives, available from Haltermann Products (1201 South Sheldon Road, Channelview, TX 77530; tel.: 800-969-2542) has been found to be satisfactory.

1.3.3.3 Demonstration of Performance. A demonstration of injector fouling shall be done first. At least five out of six injectors (with Option 1) or at least four out of six injectors (with Option 2) shall be inoperative for the test to be valid. A demonstration of additive performance shall be done after the fouling tendency demonstration; no other test shall be conducted on the vehicle in the interim. A demonstration of additive performance shall be conducted using the same vehicle (including the fuel drain and flush procedures and installing new injectors) with the same batch of base fuel, but now containing the same amount of deposit control additive as in 1.3.1.3. A pass is defined as no more than one inoperative injector.

1.3.4 Determination of Deposit Control Additive Performance Concentration.

1.3.4.1 Methodology. The concentration of deposit control additive needed to meet the standards in 1.3.1.3 and 1.3.3.3 should be equivalent. However, if the concentration of deposit control additive in 1.3.3.3 is grater than in 1.3.1.3m the higher value shall be regarded as meeting both standards. Also, if the difference between the two concentrations is grater than 15%, 1.3.2.3 shall be repeated using the higher concentration.

1.3.5 Intake Valve Sticking Initial Performance Standard.

1.3.5.1 Test Method. Intake valve sticking tendency shall be determined using either the 1.9 L Volkswagen engine (Wasserboxer according to CEC F-16-T-96) or the 5.0 L 1990-95 General Motors V-8 engine (SWRI IVS test). Two options are available for demonstrating intake valve sticking tendency.

1.3.5.2 Option 1. The valve-sticking tendency of the test fuel by itself will not have to be demonstrated prior to testing the candidate additive. The following shall be required of all tests:

Test fuel shall be either the same as in 1.3.1.2 or CEC valve sticking reference fuel.
Concentration of deposit control additive in the test fuel shall be at least twice the amount determined in 1.3.4.1.
Test temperature shall be -20°C.
Three 16-hr cold soak cycles, each followed by a compression pressure check, shall constitute a complete test.

1.3.5.2.1 Demonstration of Performance. A pass shall result in no stuck valves during any of the three cold starts. A stuck valve is defined as one in which the cylinder pressure is less than 80% of the normal average cylinder compression pressure.

1.3.5.3 Option 2. The valve-sticking tendency of the test fuel together with an additive known to cause valve sticking shall be demonstrated prior to testing the candidate additive. The following shall be required of all tests:

Test fuel shall be either the same as in 1.3.1.2 or CEC valve sticking test reference fuel.
An additive known to cause valve sticking shall be selected, and, when blended into test fuel, shall demonstrate valve sticking tendency as follows: (a) for the Volkswagen engine, at least two valves shall be stuck; (b) for the GM engine, at least three valves shall be stuck.
Test demonstrating performance of the candidate additive shall be conducted at a concentration that is at least three times the amount determined in

Test temperature shall be -20°C.
One 16-hr cold soak cycle followed by a compression pressure check shall constitute a complete test.

1.3.5.3.1 Demonstration of Performance. A pass shall result in no stuck valves during the cold start. A stuck valve is defined as one in which cylinder compression is less than 80% of the normal average cylinder compression pressure.

As you can see the standards and testing is very specific and far exceed the EPA's standards, which non-top tier gas doesn't use. The only criteria the no-name stations use is the cheapest price and can/does not guarantee it meet top tier standards.

Koz
GXHutto (08-31-22)
Old 10-16-11, 11:01 AM
wannaGX
Driver

Show me the INDEPENDENT(Ii.e., not paid for by this group of companies that came together to develop this "top tier" marketing strategy) study that says that there has been RANDOM testing at non affiliated stations where the additive does not meet this "top tier standard." Then show me the INDEPENDENT study that this somehow makes a difference to our vehicles when driven the way we normally drive our vehicles and then I'll start paying attention. Until then it's just unadulterated marketing.

All gasoline has to have additives. Do you think joe blow gas station owner develops its own additive package? No, it buys gas already with the additives from the major refiner down the street. Name brand jobber pulls up to the rack with his truck and adds name brand refiner's additive package and then goes and fills the name brand tanks and then goes next door to no name brand and fills his tank with the same crap, just cheaper.

Moreover, I read all the legal mumbo jumbo, and I see nothing that says the "Top tier standard" has to be any better or different than the federal requirements for additives. Here's what it says "Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79. " It must meet minimum standards. Ok, so. . . .??

"The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 shall contain enough deposit control additive such the IVD is no more than 50 mg averaged over all intake valves." How does this compare to the minimum standard?

"The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 treated with additive at the concentration meeting the standard found in 1.3.1.3 shall not result in more than 140% of the average CCD weight for the base fuel without additive." again, same q. and so on.

You state "As you can see the standards and testing is very specific and far exceed the EPA's standards, which non-top tier gas doesn't use." No, I can't see bc I admittedly don't know what the EPA's standards are, I just can read what this "top tier" definition is and I have no clue how they compare.

Unless you show me something - anything, I remain unconvinced. The website you showed me looks like pure marketing that is clearly working. I see it time and time and time again.

Please prove me wrong. Show me there's a difference and that it actually MAKES a difference.
Old 10-16-11, 01:56 PM
Koz

Show me the INDEPENDENT(Ii.e., not paid for by this group of companies that came together to develop this "top tier" marketing strategy) study that says that there has been RANDOM testing at non affiliated stations where the additive does not meet this "top tier standard." Then show me the INDEPENDENT study that this somehow makes a difference to our vehicles when driven the way we normally drive our vehicles and then I'll start paying attention. Until then it's just unadulterated marketing.

All gasoline has to have additives. Do you think joe blow gas station owner develops its own additive package? No, it buys gas already with the additives from the major refiner down the street. Name brand jobber pulls up to the rack with his truck and adds name brand refiner's additive package and then goes and fills the name brand tanks and then goes next door to no name brand and fills his tank with the same crap, just cheaper.

Moreover, I read all the legal mumbo jumbo, and I see nothing that says the "Top tier standard" has to be any better or different than the federal requirements for additives. Here's what it says "Also, the additive shall be certified to have met the minimum deposit control requirements established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 40 CFR Part 80. Lastly, the additive shall be registered with the EPA in accordance with 40 CFR Part 79. " It must meet minimum standards. Ok, so. . . .??

"The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 shall contain enough deposit control additive such the IVD is no more than 50 mg averaged over all intake valves." How does this compare to the minimum standard?

"The base fuel from 1.3.1.2 treated with additive at the concentration meeting the standard found in 1.3.1.3 shall not result in more than 140% of the average CCD weight for the base fuel without additive." again, same q. and so on.

You state "As you can see the standards and testing is very specific and far exceed the EPA's standards, which non-top tier gas doesn't use." No, I can't see bc I admittedly don't know what the EPA's standards are, I just can read what this "top tier" definition is and I have no clue how they compare.

Unless you show me something - anything, I remain unconvinced. The website you showed me looks like pure marketing that is clearly working. I see it time and time and time again.

Please prove me wrong. Show me there's a difference and that it actually MAKES a difference.
I don't think we can change each other's mind so lets just leave it at "we agree to disagree".

Koz
Old 10-16-11, 02:30 PM
Koz

Here is a picture of valves that came out of two brand new engines (exact same engines) with only 5000 miles on each. One used top tier gas and the other used non top tier. Guess which valves came out of the engine that used top tier gas? The picture with just two valves is at 10,000 miles.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates-top-tier-1.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates