GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Bridgestone vs Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 06:33 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
It's been hot here as well, but I've been driiving on Michelin's a long time and never had a problem. I have had problems with Bridgestone tires. On one of my LS's, I almost slid off the road in the rain and they had plenty of tread. They were Turanza;s and were one of the worst tires I've ever purchased from Tire Rack. I also had Bridgestone tires on my 2009 BMW X5 and in 2" of snow, I was going slow, couldn't make a turn. Bridgestone tires just suck in my opinion. Heat or no heat, they suck!
we had bridgestone turanza on our g35x and they didnt seem that bad. then we got the potenza g019 grid bridestones, and with only about 20K miles, they rumble and slide around in the rain and snow. The awd car actually got stuck in the snow once and we used the lexus gx to nudge it out.

bridgestones suck no doubt about it.

as for the LR tire blowing out, just be glad it wasnt one of the front tires on the highway. I think the suv would flip over if that happened.

as a side note, i checked the bridgestone phamlet that came with my leather packet. good info, but crappy tires. heres some stuff i thought important.
you lose 1 psi per month. you lose 1 psi for each 10 F drop in temp.
underinflated tires also create excess heat, overloading, and risk of failure too.

Last edited by T4Fun; 09-08-11 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 09:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The Turanza are some of the worst tires out there, but that's just one batch from Bridgestone. They also make tires that are some of the best out there.

You've got your crappy Toyota Paseo and you've got your great Toyota Supra. Michelin has a few sets of tires that are just as bad as the Turanza, which is why I buy tires based on the performance rather than what the label says. Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama,.. I avoid all of their lower-end junk.
Old 09-08-11, 09:52 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun

we had bridgestone turanza on our g35x and they didnt seem that bad. then we got the potenza g019 grid bridestones, and with only about 20K miles, they rumble and slide around in the rain and snow. The awd car actually got stuck in the snow once and we used the lexus gx to nudge it out.

bridgestones suck no doubt about it.

as for the LR tire blowing out, just be glad it wasnt one of the front tires on the highway. I think the suv would flip over if that happened.

as a side note, i checked the bridgestone phamlet that came with my leather packet. good info, but crappy tires. heres some stuff i thought important.
you lose 1 psi per month. you lose 1 psi for each 10 F drop in temp.
underinflated tires also create excess heat, overloading, and risk of failure too.
I have been debating on what to do since my Left Rear tire went flat. The truck has only 13,000 miles on it. Thinking of buying just one Bridgestone tire and waiting another year or so to replace them all with Michelins. Or biting the bullet and buying a new set of Michelins now.

~ Cap
Old 09-08-11, 09:59 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might I recommend Michelin LTX M/S2 if you choose to go that route.
The following users liked this post:
DJJJ (11-08-19)
Old 09-08-11, 11:10 PM
Alaska
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
The truck has only 13,000 miles on it. Thinking of buying just one Bridgestone tire and waiting another year or so to replace them all with Michelins
You can probably use the tire warranty to get you a good discount on your replacement Bridgestone.
Old 09-10-11, 10:48 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Might I recommend Michelin LTX M/S2 if you choose to go that route.
I agree, those are the tires I would replace them with. You might also think about using your spare tire instead of buying a new tire. Repair the flat and use if for the spare tire.
Old 09-10-11, 11:03 AM
Capirato
Racer

Talking

I agree, those are the tires I would replace them with. You might also think about using your spare tire instead of buying a new tire. Repair the flat and use if for the spare tire.
Craig, I would fix the flat if I could. Look at #1 to see why.

~ Cap
Old 09-10-11, 12:34 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Okay, that's not a flat, that's a blowout. I think I would get those tires off your vehicle. Have you asked your dealer to see if either your dealer, or Lexus would goodwill a new set of tires?
I would replace them with the Michelin LTX M/S2. I doesn't hurt to ask for goodwill. They might pay for the whole set, or maybe 1/2.

Good luck,
Old 09-10-11, 06:28 PM
Capirato
Racer

Smile

Okay, that's not a flat, that's a blowout. I think I would get those tires off your vehicle. Have you asked your dealer to see if either your dealer, or Lexus would goodwill a new set of tires?
I would replace them with the Michelin LTX M/S2. I doesn't hurt to ask for goodwill. They might pay for the whole set, or maybe 1/2.

Good luck,
Craig, it was my stupidity that caused me to keep driving when I heard the rumble as I got on the freeway. Didn't occur to me that it was a tire problem as the truck kept tracking normally, even as I changed lanes looking for a smoother surface. I must have driven 3 or 4 miles at freeway speeds before I stopped.

I don't think it was blow-out. It must have been a puncture that caused a quick release of tire pressure. I had only driven about a mile or two before I got on the freeway. If the tire had been low in pressure before I started out, I'm sure I would have noticed it.

Anyway, I plan to get a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 next week at Costco.

~ Cap
Old 09-10-11, 06:51 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Cap ... do you have tire pressure monitoring on your GX and did you observe any indication of low tire pressure?

Also, were you able to save the wheel? The picture shows a continuous strip of rubber on the top side, but did the metal rim contact the road surface at any point? Presumably, a scuffed wheel rim would not make a good seal with the bead of a new tire.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-10-11, 09:29 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

~ Cap

$70 bucks off 4 just came in the mail
Old 09-10-11, 11:53 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by SaniDel

Cap ... do you have tire pressure monitoring on your GX and did you observe any indication of low tire pressure?

Also, were you able to save the wheel? The picture shows a continuous strip of rubber on the top side, but did the metal rim contact the road surface at any point? Presumably, a scuffed wheel rim would not make a good seal with the bead of a new tire.
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDel.....

Yes, there is a Tire Pressure Monitor in the truck, but it didn't occur that I had a tire problem. The icon is not very bright. In fact it comes on now, but I don't even notice it unless I look for it.

The wheel did not make any contact with the road, to my surprise. Not even a scratch. The bulk of the tire must have fallen off just as I came to a stop.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 09-11-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-11-11, 12:00 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by frank69m

$70 bucks off 4 just came in the mail
Frank, I'm going Monday to order the tires. They don't have them in stock, but will have them by the 15th when the sale starts.

~ Cap
Old 09-11-11, 11:06 AM
Golferguy
Driver School Candidate

I can't compare the Bridgestone to Michelin but I had 2 sets of the Bridgestone Dueller on a Nissan Pathfinder. They both gave very good performance an wear. My new GX 460 has Bridgestones with 1800 miles and no issues so far! ;-)

Bob

Last edited by Golferguy; 09-12-11 at 05:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-11, 01:23 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

[SIZE=2]

~ Cap
Ran a set of these on my GX470, awesome. Just put a set on my new T4R LE, awesome as well. If you are primarily a pavement driver, I think you'll find there is no better tire.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone vs Michelin