GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2012 Lexus GX 460 Changes Officially Announced

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 10:17 AM
aristott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another note is why don't Lexus add some nicer trims for the Premium package to see the difference between both models? Fender flares, 20" wheels, LED lights, and better brakes.
Old 08-20-11, 12:34 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest you keep the transmission in Sport mode. The transmission responds more quickly in Sport mode since Drive mode tries to upshift to 6th gear for better mileage. It is hard for the transmission to shift down from 6 fast enough in a passing situation.

The only time I put the transmission in Drive mode is when I expect sustained, high-speed driving ... i.e., the Interstate. It goes into Sport mode when I exit the Interstate and doesn't come out of Sport mode until I've merged with traffic after entering the Interstate.

For maximum response, use the lever as a "shift limiter" ... 1st up or down steep hills, 2nd for parking lots, 3rd for city driving, 4th for country driving, etc. You can quickly get to 6th by pushing the lever forward and holding it there briefly, then you can let it shift for itself. However, for maximum response, you want the transmission only a gear or two away from its optimum.

Try this the next time you want to pass on the highway. Pull the shifter left from Drive into Sport, which will force a non-sequential downshift from 6th to 4th ... then "stand on it". You will be impressed ... I was, and still am!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. When you try this experiment, don't forget to "back off" or push the shift lever forward to 6 or right to Drive ... you will be surprised how quickly the GX will redline in 4th.
Old 08-20-11, 01:01 PM
aristott
Rookie

I know what you are saying but it still feels lazy. I am nit comparing the GX to a sports car but I own a GT-R, owned the IS-F so I know my sports cars. If you drive a GL550 it handles better, quicker, bigger wheels, nice trims, flares, etc. Lexus is uninvolving with their cars and does not offer what the customers want. I am willing to pay for a GX-F if they make one.
I shipped my GT-R from Florida to Germany this summer and enjoyed driving the roads in 6 countries and rarely saw any Lexus. The population there say Lexus cars are boring, good quality, and offers no style. I am a Lexus fan but want them to step up the game and stop listening to the boring US population who drive slow on the fast lane.
My GX460 got Jaos fender flares and 22" COR 3piece wheels but cannot be lowered, what a shame!
Old 08-20-11, 01:27 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear you and I hope Lexus does as well!

The GX 460 is no match for the GL 550, especially "under the hood". We're probably part of the problem as you describe it because we hardly ever drive fast although we do stay out of the fast lane. We haven't yet "run out of power" in our GX, but our idea of a hard drive is the Pennsylvania or the New Jersey Turnpikes, which is more of a demolition derby!

My wife and I love luxury SUVs and Lexus loves us ... the GX is our 10th Lexus. If we could fit it in our garage, we would own the LX and would appreciate the larger engine, plus the ride height adjustments. We haven't heard of the "GX-F" but it might be our 11th Lexus ... whatever it is. ;-)
Old 08-20-11, 05:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aristott
I know what you are saying but it still feels lazy. I am nit comparing the GX to a sports car but I own a GT-R, owned the IS-F so I know my sports cars. If you drive a GL550 it handles better, quicker, bigger wheels, nice trims, flares, etc. Lexus is uninvolving with their cars and does not offer what the customers want. I am willing to pay for a GX-F if they make one.
I shipped my GT-R from Florida to Germany this summer and enjoyed driving the roads in 6 countries and rarely saw any Lexus. The population there say Lexus cars are boring, good quality, and offers no style. I am a Lexus fan but want them to step up the game and stop listening to the boring US population who drive slow on the fast lane.
My GX460 got Jaos fender flares and 22" COR 3piece wheels but cannot be lowered, what a shame!

lexus has its issues. the styling is plain boring, they are way behind on high tech features offered on other luxury models and the quality i feel is off on some things.

now nissan makes better style vehicles that drive better with more bmw like feel..nissan however makes crappy interiors.

i am sure the gl drives better, but the styling is just plain ugly on inside and outside.

i know what you want, and its not gonna happen with lexus anytime soon.
do yourself a favor and get the x6M
Old 08-20-11, 05:04 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You have a picture of your GX? Post er up
Old 08-21-11, 03:25 AM
js45cal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the same in waiting until 2012 model shows up but I wasn't sure when they arrive. I did already negotiated the final price so that will need to be reworked (I got priced 300 above invoice). Also their original reason for special order was because of the rear entertainment system. Don't understand that reasoning but I committed back in March to wait 3 months but now I'm on going on the 6 months and still don't know when. Couple of weeks ago I even thought out purchasing other suv from either acura MDX or MB GL. I really like the GX but..
Old 08-21-11, 01:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by js45cal
Thanks everyone. I was thinking the same in waiting until 2012 model shows up but I wasn't sure when they arrive. I did already negotiated the final price so that will need to be reworked (I got priced 300 above invoice). Also their original reason for special order was because of the rear entertainment system. Don't understand that reasoning but I committed back in March to wait 3 months but now I'm on going on the 6 months and still don't know when. Couple of weeks ago I even thought out purchasing other suv from either acura MDX or MB GL. I really like the GX but..
At this point you are probably going to get a 2012. When I asked in June about a premium the dealer told me they weren't even producing them at that point and I couldn't even order one. Do you know for sure they started building your 2011?
Old 08-21-11, 01:47 PM
aristott
Rookie

I'll post the pics of my GX460 soon, sure. I think the regular GL is ugly but what you see a fully loaded GL550 with the fender flares, LED, trims, and big wheels then you would say the GX is ugly. I bought my 9th Lexus and I'm only 35. I had to customize most of them except the IS-F. I know the dealers well so I stuck with them.
Lexus even shot themselves by releasing the LF-A for the same as the Lambo Aven. Common it's not faster and the dealers don't normally handle that level of client. I was in Monaco a few weeks ago with my GT-R and Lexus don't even blend in that city. They love BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. My GT-R got plenty thumbs up and photos!
Old 08-21-11, 06:34 PM
js45cal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
At this point you are probably going to get a 2012. When I asked in June about a premium the dealer told me they weren't even producing them at that point and I couldn't even order one. Do you know for sure they started building your 2011?
I'm not sure if they even started building my order. I will contact the dealer but the last time I spoke to my dealer late July, he told me that the factories started to produce new orders and only to say mine is in the queue.
Old 08-22-11, 12:48 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll post the pics of my GX460 soon, sure. I think the regular GL is ugly but what you see a fully loaded GL550 with the fender flares, LED, trims, and big wheels then you would say the GX is ugly. I bought my 9th Lexus and I'm only 35. I had to customize most of them except the IS-F. I know the dealers well so I stuck with them.
Lexus even shot themselves by releasing the LF-A for the same as the Lambo Aven. Common it's not faster and the dealers don't normally handle that level of client. I was in Monaco a few weeks ago with my GT-R and Lexus don't even blend in that city. They love BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. My GT-R got plenty thumbs up and photos!
Hm, I'm just curious - why would I care what blends in Mondaco (sic!). Europeans may like their cars, but as far as I'm concerned - they have not learned to make good (and especially well engineered/reliable)cars yet. Still hoping, may be one day. But on the other hand I don't live there anymore, so does not matter.
Old 09-01-11, 09:06 AM
aristott
Rookie

First of all about Monaco and blending in: again I said Lexus is making cars for boring farts or overpricing a great sports car above the Lambo Aventador. When these people have this type of money they will spend on a better performing and a car that has a dealership to support that level of customer. Again in Monaco where were the high end Lexus? People chose to drive a Merc S63, CL63/65, or the BMW M series. The LS460/600 comes very plain looking, no 20" wheels offered or even an LS-F for those customer who can afford a higher end car than a car for old farts. There's no passion in these cars which needs to be changed soon.
About my GX, I like the truck, the quality and finish is very good but just offer a package for those who can afford it. I don't want my GX to be so plain so I had to add 22" Cor wheels and the flare kit. The US is a country where people lease cars and don't care about quality as much because they get a new car in a few years anyway.
Another note! how boring is Lexus by not letting us take our cars to Europe for a tour. They want to void our warranty! It's really nice to take my GT-R in the Swiss alps, cruise at 140mph on the German Autobahn, etc. If I didn't send my car, it's great to buy an Audi who offers a delivery over there. You people only stick to quality?? how about Driving experience, service that caters to lifestyle? Take your car to the Nurburgring??
Monaco:

Zurich:

near the Swiss Alps:

Originally Posted by AKoch
Hm, I'm just curious - why would I care what blends in Mondaco (sic!). Europeans may like their cars, but as far as I'm concerned - they have not learned to make good (and especially well engineered/reliable)cars yet. Still hoping, may be one day. But on the other hand I don't live there anymore, so does not matter.
Old 09-01-11, 09:49 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a pic of your GT-R racing a 911 Turbo on the autobaun :-)
Old 09-01-11, 11:14 AM
aristott
Rookie

Most of the races were instant and no time to video or snap pics. Most were at night anyway but atleast we could legally speed! What does Lexus have to bring excitement to the Autobahns besides the LF-A. Just to inform you Lexus owners who are not worldly as most Lexus owners aren't.
The BMW, Porsche, and many others have clubs who send their cars overseas for touring during the Summer months. The BMW club has classes at the Nurburgring as well. What does Lexus offer you as an owner??? Nothing passionate because most owners are point a to point b owners who are not passionate.
Take your Mercedes over there and get covered under warranty, take your Lexus and they give you the finger. Sorry about being to straight up and not politically correct but it's very true what I have written.

MODENA ITALY @ THE FERRARI FACTORY:

Portofino Italy:

Originally Posted by frank69m
How about a pic of your GT-R racing a 911 Turbo on the autobaun :-)
Old 09-02-11, 05:16 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

aristott,

While I agree that there is no passion with Lexus and I am one owner who just wants to get from point A to point B, I find it hard to understand your point of view since your GTR could be considered the same in terms of passion and plain looking when compared to other sports cars. I love the GTR and its performance is one of the best out there but from a passion standpoint it is also one of the most soulless sports cars out there in that it doesn't take much skill to drive it fast with all the driver assisted nannies on board and it doesn't stand out in a crowd unless you are into cars. If you want a car with soul and passion, Lexus is not your brand.

Quick Reply: 2012 Lexus GX 460 Changes Officially Announced