GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Finally Ordering a 2012 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 07:09 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
You hold down a button on your remote to start the vehicle. I would guess the car would stay locked, but once you open the door, the engine shuts off. That's what my salesman told me, so I didn't have it installed at the port. Dealers can also add this option at the dealership. The port charge for this option was 450.00
Indeed, you press the lock button - one, two, three - and the third time, you hold it until the engine start. The vehicle does remain locked, and the engine does shut off once you open the door. The particular LX that was allocated to our dealer for us had it installed at port, so it's a nice feature to have, but we wouldn't have requested it.

MSRP for this option is $375, and Invoice is $225.
Old 07-31-11, 11:05 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Indeed, you press the lock button - one, two, three - and the third time, you hold it until the engine start. The vehicle does remain locked, and the engine does shut off once you open the door. The particular LX that was allocated to our dealer for us had it installed at port, so it's a nice feature to have, but we wouldn't have requested it.

MSRP for this option is $375, and Invoice is $225.
Thanks for the instructions, which allowed me to confirm that we do not have this option on our GX.

Not that I would want it ... the whole purpose of remote start would be to give the HVAC a head start in severe weather before climbing on board. Having the engine die when the door gets opened would be a downer ... not to mention defeating the purpose of remote starting. I've noticed several non-Lexus vehicles in parking lots start as their owners approached ... none of them required restarting ... the owners got in and drove off immediately.

It seems that Lexus has "missed the boat" on this one ... another one! :-(
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-01-11, 06:08 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Thanks for the instructions, which allowed me to confirm that we do not have this option on our GX.

Not that I would want it ... the whole purpose of remote start would be to give the HVAC a head start in severe weather before climbing on board. Having the engine die when the door gets opened would be a downer ... not to mention defeating the purpose of remote starting. I've noticed several non-Lexus vehicles in parking lots start as their owners approached ... none of them required restarting ... the owners got in and drove off immediately.

It seems that Lexus has "missed the boat" on this one ... another one! :-(
Regards,

SaniDel
I would think the engine shutting off when the door is opened is a theft safety feature purposely designed in so when the vehicle is unattended and someone can get the door open they can't drive off.

Koz
Old 08-01-11, 06:45 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I would think the engine shutting off when the door is opened is a theft safety feature purposely designed in so when the vehicle is unattended and someone can get the door open they can't drive off.

Koz
No doubt, but couldn't Lexus have solved the problem a better way? For example, if the doors are properly unlocked using the electronic key, why stop the engine? Certainly, if someone can open the door of an unattended and running vehicle, that would be a valuable theft safety feature, but how real is that risk?

It seems that remote start is a way to "start the start process" a few seconds earlier as you are approaching your vehicle ... the engine starts, the headlights turn on in a dark environment, the "puddle lights" illuminate the ground and you are in and off in less time. Hard for me to imagine someone remote starting their vehicle out of sight or of walking away from a running vehicle, but maybe they do ... I never would.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-10-11, 07:30 PM
victob47
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone heard of what changes from the 2011 GX460, if any, the 2012 will have?
Old 08-11-11, 07:33 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by victob47
Anyone heard of what changes from the 2011 GX460, if any, the 2012 will have?
One of my magazines said minor trim changes, but it didn't say what the changes are.
Old 08-12-11, 04:52 AM
jikamil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
One of my magazines said minor trim changes, but it didn't say what the changes are.
Here's a link to the specs for the 2012 GX: http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...+info.download
Old 08-12-11, 06:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Not many changes. Body side molding is standard and a new color. Premium gets high gloss wheel finish whatever that means. Anything else I missed? I noticed it says auto folding mirrors. Not sure if that is new but I thought one of the complaints was that you had to push a button for them to fold and hat they didn't fold when you put it in park.
Old 08-12-11, 05:34 PM
jikamil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
I noticed it says auto folding mirrors. Not sure if that is new but I thought one of the complaints was that you had to push a button for them to fold and hat they didn't fold when you put it in park.
"Electrochromic outer mirrors with auto retract"

Yes, that would be new. By contrast, the 2011 brochure describes the mirror as: "Electrochromic (auto-dimming), power-folding outside mirrors (GX460 Premium)". Not that I care too much about this. But, as you said, the updates are very minor. It would be interesting to see by how much the asking price will change.
Old 08-14-11, 05:52 PM
Doc H
Driver School Candidate

I notice it mentions "parking brake handgrip"; no floor brake now?
Old 08-16-11, 02:57 AM
jikamil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doc H
I notice it mentions "parking brake handgrip"; no floor brake now?
Yeah, that's an interesting change. I personally like the floor brake better, since it doesn't need to eat up any space on the center console.
Old 08-28-11, 02:20 PM
jamesmil
Driver School Candidate

My dealer mentioned the 2012s increased in price approximately $1600.
Old 08-28-11, 07:51 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesmil
My dealer mentioned the 2012s increased in price approximately $1600.

really, just goes to show DONT TRUST THE DEALER...
Old 09-02-11, 04:29 PM
VWAudi2012
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
really, just goes to show DONT TRUST THE DEALER...
Price increase is $200 for 2012. Here is Toyota price sheet for all Toyota and Lexus 2012 models.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/lexus+prices+2012+models.htm
Old 10-31-11, 07:51 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Well after three months of waiting my GX460 finally came in and of course since it was Halloween, I wasn't able to pick it up. The paperwork is all done and I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow night.

Originally Posted by Koz
Without a contract I don't see any Stealer special ordering a vehicle for you. They will be looking for one that has what you want (or close) that is on its way to another Stealer.

Good Luck!

Koz
Like I said earlier, I have a very good connection at the dealer and even though I didn't have a contract and didn't put a deposit down, I got the exact same deal as promised with every single option I ordered.

However, since I was getting impatient, I priced the same truck out at another dealer in Virginia since it was taking so long and was quoted $1,500 over invoice so some dealers are willing to deal right now even though demand for these trucks are pretty high. This was at one of the top Lexus dealers in the nation and they work on volume so they were allocated way more GX's than any other dealer in my area.

Last edited by patgilm; 10-31-11 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally Ordering a 2012 GX460