GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX Rated # 1 for 2011

Old 06-27-11, 12:50 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
If you can't deal with someone that has the same vehicle criticizing it, you shouldn't be on the boards. Internet forums aren't the place to come if you're seeking validation. If you like your GX and think it's the second coming, good on you. I personally expected better of Lexus. I think they failed on their market research, competitive intelligence and requirements process this time around.

Matrix the GX against the competition, take a few test drives and see if you feel the same way. Bottom line is that they could have done a much better job. I wouldn't say it's invented and as mentioned I drive the vehicle in different conditions than you do or our friend in DE (lived in Greenville and am intimately familiar with the terrain, almost bought a house at highest point in the state 450' above sea level) which shapes perception. I'm certain the GX does great where you guys live.

To answer your question... reliability. Vehicle doesn't really have have any standout qualities or excel in anything in particular. Tech in the car is so-so, engine is on the low side for the class, room so-so, third row so-so, towing at the bottom of the competition, performance so-so, ride quality so-so, ergonomics so-so etc....

As mentioned this is my 6th Lexus. I currently own 2010 and 2011 RX and GX. I'm not new to the brand nor am I new to luxury vehicles. If anything I have a better perspective of the brand than many here because I have 2 newly redesigned vehicles and can compare features/execution having driven thousands of miles in both.
I have to agree with you about the mirrors, cruise control and rear window. Put some Rain-X on your rear window and it will help a lot. I think you should have purchased the QX56. If it was available before I purchased my GX, I would have taken one for a test drive. I can't use the cruise control going up hills on the highway...
Old 06-27-11, 01:21 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I have to agree with you about the mirrors, cruise control and rear window. Put some Rain-X on your rear window and it will help a lot. I think you should have purchased the QX56. If it was available before I purchased my GX, I would have taken one for a test drive. I can't use the cruise control going up hills on the highway...
Craig, good suggestion to put Rain-X on the rear window ... thanks. Why can't you use cruise control going up hills on the highway ... what happens when you try?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. The QX56 is more than a match for the LX570 ... I'm afraid that the GX would be out of its league!

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...son/index.html
Old 06-27-11, 04:06 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The QX was my second choice (good towing ability). What knocked it down to second was its guzzling and its bling (too big). I prefer the subtle look of the GX.

Koz
Old 06-27-11, 06:21 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone needs to calm down. We are really passionate about cars and it is surfacing. To put things into perspective the GX 460 is a clone of a cheaper vehicle called the Toyota land cruiser prado. Most people in the U.S. do not know this fact. The prado is a very capable off road vehicle and is second only to the FJ. The Prado has locking center and rear differentials, the only Toyota vehicle that has this feature. Many features of the prado did not make it to the GX, like rear diff. lock, TV, and the hard disk drive. I hope to add some of these feature to my GX in the future. Every vehicle owner is going to be unhappy with some of the features of their vehicle. I have spent time on the forums of the QX and GL and the amount of problems that they have is shocking. Eventually, the GX will fall off this list as time goes by and problems arise. Believe me problems will arise. The first generation GX has a huge issue with cracking dashboards, transmission clunk, and sagging suspension.

I drove my GX on a highway trip with 6 adults and a baby. The GX did well and the 2 adults in the third row did not really complain. I moved the second row forward a bit and they were very comfortable.

I am not going to give up the GX but Lexus should have done better. The leather is only single stitched and the switches next to the transmission lever is in the wrong possible location. The driver cannot see all the switches when the leaver is in drive.
Old 06-28-11, 08:30 AM
Koz

I'm not sure how the Prado got involved but there is a HUGE difference between the two. First the Prado is way more expensive ($89K compared to $56K) and is nowhere near as refined as the GX. The GX has more features and uses better materials. There is no V8 or auto 6 speed trans available in the Prado. Prado has a diesel and a 5 speed auto (6 speed manual). The interior of the GX is far more refined and uses better materials. What I find really cool about the Prado is you can get a 3 door model.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails GX Rated # 1 for 2011-gx-int.jpg   GX Rated # 1 for 2011-prado-int.jpg  
Old 06-28-11, 08:55 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
I'm not sure how the Prado got involved but there is a HUGE difference between the two. First the Prado is way more expensive ($89K compared to $56K) and is nowhere near as refined as the GX.
The Prado's available in North America?
Old 06-28-11, 11:07 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by akfd
The Prado's available in North America?
Not in the US.

Koz
Old 06-28-11, 05:04 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Craig, good suggestion to put Rain-X on the rear window ... thanks. Why can't you use cruise control going up hills on the highway ... what happens when you try?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. The QX56 is more than a match for the LX570 ... I'm afraid that the GX would be out of its league!

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...son/index.html
It kicks down at least two gears and races the engine . I find it unacceptable and unsafe to use the cruise control going up hills on the highway...
Old 06-28-11, 05:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the gx does lack some high tech features. Aside from the rust on axle issue i have no major gripes. there is no other body on frame suv i would want.
Old 06-29-11, 01:17 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The QX was my second choice (good towing ability). What knocked it down to second was its guzzling and its bling (too big). I prefer the subtle look of the GX.

Koz
Gas mileage for the QX is nearly identical to the GX.

GX460 = 4.6L V8 : 301 hp : 329 torque : 6,500 lb towing : 15/20 mpg
QX 56 = 5.6L V8 : 400 hp : 413 torque : 8,500 lb towing : 14/20 mpg
Old 06-29-11, 05:59 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio98

So the car company says. Let's talk real-life here. Do you think my Suburban really gets 17mpg
Old 06-29-11, 07:23 AM
ShawShank
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

advisory board? So we have you to blame for our under engineered, under powered, weird shifting, erratic behaving, no power door having GX. Maybe Jeep or Land Rover would benefit from your extensive knowledge of.... nothing. Do us and yourself a favor and trade that rig in on a nice LR4 and enjoy that loaner car they give you as your new "car" will be in the shop more than your driveway. Did we forget the Indians and building these cars? How long have they been building luxury vehicles? And the GC... a Jeep, enough said. I personally bought the GX for 3 reasons; reliability, engineering and safety. If you buy a vehicle because the GPS is cool - to each their own. If you buy a vehicle because the wood grain is pretty - to each their own.

10 years from now, which I know the typical Lexus owner doesn't keep their vehicle that long, the GX will out shine all of its competition. Oh wait - it already does.

Last edited by ShawShank; 06-29-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-29-11, 08:57 AM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawShank
Do us and yourself a favor and trade that rig in on a nice LR4 and enjoy that loaner car they give you as your new "car" will be in the shop more than your driveway
A friend of mine bought a Range Rover Autobiography last month (special order, of course). After a few weeks of driving, the car is now at the dealer, sitting in the service bay for a week already, trying to fix some electrical problem. I'm glad that I didn't get a Range Rover in the first place!
Old 06-29-11, 10:20 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawShank
advisory board? So we have you to blame for our under engineered, under powered, weird shifting, erratic behaving, no power door having GX.
Be careful... I don't think we are allowed to speak to "advisory board members" like that. A little respect please.
Old 06-29-11, 04:21 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Real-World Highway Mileage ... Try It Yourself in Your GX 460

Originally Posted by antonio98

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX Rated # 1 for 2011