GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Do you see rust under your GX 460?
Yes
49.36%
No
50.64%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rust

Old 09-01-11, 08:27 AM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per the poll result, 44% people reported some kind of rust. Even if not a big issue, it is something to watch out for, I guess.

My car is brand new so now would be the best time to do the undercoating.

Has anyone had experience with POR15, Rust Oleum or Fluidfilm?
Old 09-01-11, 08:34 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sanidel, if there isn't a rust problem, why does the poll reveal about 1/2 the GX owners having the rust problem...and only 2 years old at the most!
Old 09-28-11, 05:59 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

well got the gx back today after driving the rx for a week (not that great of a ride imho).

lexus did the honorable thing and repainted the axle and all. kudos to the dealer and thank you lexus for fixing the issue. i will post up pics when i get a chance.
Old 09-29-11, 05:29 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
well got the gx back today after driving the rx for a week (not that great of a ride imho).

lexus did the honorable thing and repainted the axle and all. kudos to the dealer and thank you lexus for fixing the issue. i will post up pics when i get a chance.
]]

repainted? how does that get rid of rust? they just painted over the rust?
Old 09-29-11, 08:20 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by frank69m
]]

repainted? how does that get rid of rust? they just painted over the rust?

they removed the rust and body shop put new bolts everything. even painted the hub.
Old 10-19-11, 08:35 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they removed the rust and body shop put new bolts everything. even painted the hub.
lets see some updated pics
Old 12-10-12, 07:20 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So was the rust issue addressed? What do people see on theirs 2012? I'm also curious whether people who had rust have other contributing factors, like keeping a car in a heated garage during the winter?
Old 12-28-12, 11:38 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I use to live in the Midwest where they use that salt on roads in the winter. All you need to do every spring is clean the bottom of the Lexus and spray any rust with rustoliuem. Problem is solved. The paint stops the rust because it seals out the oxygen, no oxygen no further rust.
Old 12-30-12, 09:06 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Max707
I use to live in the Midwest where they use that salt on roads in the winter. All you need to do every spring is clean the bottom of the Lexus and spray any rust with rustoliuem. Problem is solved. The paint stops the rust because it seals out the oxygen, no oxygen no further rust.
lol paint just covers it up, not true at all...

if you have an issue with this, tell your dealer. They took care of the issue for me
Old 04-29-13, 12:41 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

So here is what I see under mine after 6 months. The car is washed every week on a touchless car wash with undercarriage spray.

Old 04-29-13, 12:55 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the rust in the same places on the same parts.
Old 04-29-13, 01:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

You guys have piqued my interest so I had to go out and look under my truck. I don't have any rust in the front or rear which surprises me because our truck is used everyday, rain, snow, sunshine or whatever. I don't take it to any car wash places with the exception of Lexus' car wash when it is in for service which has been only three time so far. I also don't wash underneath it much and when I do I just spray it with water.

Last edited by patgilm; 04-29-13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-05-13, 04:44 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

lol paint just covers it up, not true at all...

if you have an issue with this, tell your dealer. They took care of the issue for me
So I guess you will continue to have a rust problem since your dealer painted your axle . I've owned several Lexus SUV's when I lived in the KC Missouri area. They use salt on steroids now in ice and snow prone area's of the country. When metal is exposed to the elements and salt, etc. it will rust. Your GX will rust, if you clean it up every spring and cover any exposed metal with some rustoliuem you will never have any major rust issues. I did this for years in KC and my LX's looked like new. You could move to Nevada or Arizona where it does not snow and the moisture content is low then rust won't be an issue. I once owned a 1999 Landcruiser that was 9 years old and lived its life in Arizona and the bottom of that rig was totally rust free. I also remember looking at a 2 year old Landcruiser that had been through 2 Chicago winters and it had bad rust on the frame and axles and all the aluminum parts were corroded. Check your warranty and the warranty of every other car company, they warrant against rust "through" not rust. Your dealer was just being nice. Based on where you live the rust will be back and if you don't want it clean it off and paint it. Tons of threads on rust, go to www.ih8mud.com, these are owners that use their rig's and know how to maintain them.
Old 12-03-13, 10:32 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

The front of the rear axle (especially diff housing) seems to be constantly hit by a road debris which in turn chips the protective paint and results in rust. If you live anywhere where roads are salted during winter then you'll get rust no matter what though it does looks like a superficial cosmetic rust for now.

When the spring comes and I'll have nothing better to do I might test two products on the front of the diff housing:

Rust Encapsulator -- sprays directly on top of existing rust and converts it into inert permanent primer which can later be painted with Chassis Black or similar product. Note that I don't think there is any need to do any of this but I would be curious how this will hold up on the front of the diff housing in case I'll need to do something about rust couple years down the road.
Old 12-03-13, 03:41 PM
T4Fun
Racer

lexus removed all the rust and repainted my axle. it was much worse than yours and unacceptable with only 3k miles and barely driven.

i have sprayed the whole bottom yearly with fluid film and it has no issues with corrosion now and protected from salt and water

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust