GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 02:51 PM
scanxike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought 2011 GX460 a week ago, but the steering wheel shaking real bad. Just like Ms. Risa said. Not so happy about this problem.
Old 10-07-11, 07:45 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all these complaints on this board, I'm wondering why Lexus hasn't done some sort of recall or are they so idiotic that they don't know this is a problem?
Old 10-08-11, 12:15 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
With all these complaints on this board, I'm wondering why Lexus hasn't done some sort of recall or are they so idiotic that they don't know this is a problem?
This isn't a problem for every GX as numerous members of this forum have made clear, hence a recall is unwarranted. What seems apparent is that those who have the problem and bring it to Lexus' attention ... in a reasonable manner, without drama and threats ... are taken seriously. Several members of this forum have reported offers to buy back or replace their GX although at least one member reported the same problem in their replacement GX.

What would be 'idiotic' is for Lexus to offer to buy back or replace vehicles if they did NOT recognize there is a problem. Obviously there is ... obviously Lexus knows it, but they are neither ignoring it nor issuing a recall for all vehicles when only some of them have the problem. What is your Lexus dealer telling you about your vehicle?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-09-11, 10:08 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
This isn't a problem for every GX as numerous members of this forum have made clear, hence a recall is unwarranted. What seems apparent is that those who have the problem and bring it to Lexus' attention ... in a reasonable manner, without drama and threats ... are taken seriously. Several members of this forum have reported offers to buy back or replace their GX although at least one member reported the same problem in their replacement GX.

What would be 'idiotic' is for Lexus to offer to buy back or replace vehicles if they did NOT recognize there is a problem. Obviously there is ... obviously Lexus knows it, but they are neither ignoring it nor issuing a recall for all vehicles when only some of them have the problem. What is your Lexus dealer telling you about your vehicle?
Regards,

SaniDel
agreed. they repainted my rear axle without any issues!
My next issue is the sagging right rear end and also condensation insided left tail light that needs to be fixed.
Old 10-09-11, 06:37 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... those who have the problem and bring it to Lexus' attention ... in a reasonable manner, without drama and threats ... are taken seriously ...
I find it hard to understand this, and I must disagree. A problem is a problem. If you take care of one customer's problem, you take care of another customer's problem. I don't think that Lexus should decide how they handle customers based on their perceived "customer attitude".

I have the chance to handle customer service issues occasionally in my line of work. Most people are reasonable, but sometimes I get to face the screaming ones. However, they are taken through the same process regardless (for some with more efforts, no doubt). I'd expect the same if not higher level of professionalism from Lexus.
Old 10-10-11, 06:54 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

I'll try again. A recall is appropriate when a defect is likely to affect most if not all of a product. The Lexus GX 460 recall for the VSC re-programming was appropriate, effective and presumably complete ... although some owners may not have complied. Our dealer made it 'compelling' by offering a loaner vehicle, a free car wash, a full tank of gas and replacement floor mats ... who wouldn't take their offer?

The problem we are discussing is vehicle specific, it is not pervasive and it is subtle ... some owners' complaint about vibration are other owners' expectation of how a truck-based SUV should drive. We have some on this forum who are adamant about the former and we have the latter ... myself included. Our early-production 2010 GX 460 with over 17 thousand miles has not exhibited vibration at any speed.

I applaud your description of the customer service process and believe that is what Lexus is doing ... responding in a consistent manner to owners who present with this problem ... even the screaming ones. My point is that not all owners have the problem and the only way for Lexus to know is to wait until those who have the problem make themselves known. Hence, we have not received a "Do you have this problem?" query from Lexus, much less a recall notification.

Wouldn't you agree that those who have received buy-back offers or replacement vehicles from Lexus are receiving a high level of professional customer service?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-11-11, 04:34 PM
Risa
Driver School Candidate

Default vibrating gx 460

I'll try again. A recall is appropriate when a defect is likely to affect most if not all of a product. The Lexus GX 460 recall for the VSC re-programming was appropriate, effective and presumably complete ... although some owners may not have complied. Our dealer made it 'compelling' by offering a loaner vehicle, a free car wash, a full tank of gas and replacement floor mats ... who wouldn't take their offer?

The problem we are discussing is vehicle specific, it is not pervasive and it is subtle ... some owners' complaint about vibration are other owners' expectation of how a truck-based SUV should drive. We have some on this forum who are adamant about the former and we have the latter ... myself included. Our early-production 2010 GX 460 with over 17 thousand miles has not exhibited vibration at any speed.

I applaud your description of the customer service process and believe that is what Lexus is doing ... responding in a consistent manner to owners who present with this problem ... even the screaming ones. My point is that not all owners have the problem and the only way for Lexus to know is to wait until those who have the problem make themselves known. Hence, we have not received a "Do you have this problem?" query from Lexus, much less a recall notification.

Wouldn't you agree that those who have received buy-back offers or replacement vehicles from Lexus are receiving a high level of professional customer service?
Regards,

SaniDel

thanks for your input
I have met with regional rep and spoke to the top corporate office about this
they said it is"just road noise" and gave no other options
without any dramatics or screaming so that is what Lexus did.....nothing
didn't want a buy back just wanted the problem fixed
they don't want to admit that there is a problem
looks like they have lowered their customer care standards
Old 10-11-11, 05:01 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

It seems that Lexus doesn't understand the problem, which is why some, but not all GX 460 vehicles exhibit this vibration, hence Lexus can't fix the problem. More to the point ... you would not want them to attempt to fix a problem they don't understand on your vehicle! No one on this forum has reported a solution although a lot of time, effort and money has been spent on replacement tires, alignment and other repairs ... why go through that with no benefit?

So, although they can't fix their problem, Lexus can fix their customers' problem! Several who have posted on this thread have had their vehicles replaced or re-purchased ... why would you not want a replacement or a re-purchase? If getting a new GX 460 isn't enough customer care, I can't imagine what is.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-11-11, 09:32 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Originally Posted by Risa
they said it is"just road noise" and gave no other options
didn't want a buy back just wanted the problem fixed
they don't want to admit that there is a problem
Did they actually offer a buy-back, if they didn't acknowledge the problem in the first place?

I'd imagine one can tell "shaking" from "road noise" pretty easily. Is the shaking visible or is it just a feeling by the driver?
Old 10-11-11, 09:48 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

I do. That's absolutely a high-level customer care. However my point is the offer of buy-back, or the acknowledge of such a problem if there is, shouldn't be based upon how a customer approaches it.

My own truck is perfect, exhibiting no shaking or vibration. I took an interest in this thread because by buying a GX I invested in not only the vehicle but also the Lexus brand. So it is in our best interest to see Lexus does whatever it can to protect the brand reputation.

Cheers.
Old 10-12-11, 06:00 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Do you have aftermarket wheels on the truck? Toyota uses a lug-centric wheel that requires a special adapter to balance them. This is a very old "problem" that goes back to both the GX470 and 4Runners. KDSS has nothing to do with the problem. What you might be feeling is a true truck that has a torsen differential and locking transfer box.

Honestly, you picked a medium duty landcruiser that is meant for offduty use in most 3rd world countries; basically, it's pretty beefy to take on that role. You should expect some vibration through the steering wheel, which is made of wood that helps distribute vibrations rather than a polymer composite with dampening properties...I always hated that wooden wheel.

Finally, check your air pressure. With the standard wheels (i.e., not 19+"), I found 32 psig to give the best ride.
Old 10-12-11, 06:11 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Speed specific vibration (through the front wheels) is common in many truck/SUV vehicles. Most of the time it is caused by the wheels and/or tires balance. This is why there are several special wheel/tire balancing machines such as this one, http://www.gsp9700.com/ . What is also important is that the operator of these special machines have the knowledge/experience to successfully corrected problem vehicles. I have seen problem vehicles put on several of these machines and not until the right operator was the problem corrected (including Dealer). There also has been cases where these machines were not able to correct the problem. Sometimes steering/suspension parts were replaced which corrected the problem and sometimes not. What is really good about Lexus is that if all else fails they have bought the vehicle back. I personally have been lucky with the Lexus/Toyota vehicles I have owned. My GX is silky smooth at all speeds.

I would take it to the Dealer and let them try to fix it. Do NOT except them telling you it is normal. Before trying to make the Dealer buy the vehicle I would find a proven 4WD shop/operator with a road force machine and let them try to fix it. If they are successful I would insist on the Dealer paying for the work.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 10-12-11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 02:25 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 4runner for 9 years and never had this vibration problem. Must have went to Big-O and costco 4-5 times for new tires and I don't recall a special balancing machine. Never had 1 vibe.
Old 10-12-11, 03:50 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
I had a 4runner for 9 years and never had this vibration problem. Must have went to Big-O and costco 4-5 times for new tires and I don't recall a special balancing machine. Never had 1 vibe.
I had a V8 05 Limited 4Runner (great vehicle) and never had this issue but there were other 4Runner owners who did. Most were able to correct the problem.

Koz
Old 12-03-11, 02:43 PM
dblake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Risa
have had 2 gx470's perfect - new 2011 gx460 constantly vibrating when driving
michelin tires perfect not the tires they are saying this is the way they feel
now impossible - constantly feeling the road and all shaking
anybody else have this problem any way to fix
lexus says no don't believe they could ruin a wonderful vehicle
can someone please help miserable
i have the vibration problem as well. I had a 2010 with the same problem. The dealership couldn't fish it. So, they made me a good deal on a new 2011. Guess what.....same problem. They are escalating it now.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues