GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-10, 10:43 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires

In NJ we are looking at a foot by tomorrow. Should be a good test for the new GX! This is my Christmas present, can't wait till I can go play. Some kids never grow up!

Koz
Old 12-26-10, 11:09 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take some pictures or videos!! Lucky you're getting all that snow. I hear it's snowing there now and VA (at least near DC) hasn't seen much yet!
Old 12-26-10, 11:09 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
In NJ we are looking at a foot by tomorrow. Should be a good test for the new GX! This is my Christmas present, can't wait till I can go play. Some kids never grow up!

Koz
Should be as good or better than the GX470, which means you shall have a lot of fun! Stay safe.
Old 12-26-10, 11:57 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

We had 4.5" of snow here and I had no problems. The heated wipers worked well...
Old 12-26-10, 06:24 PM
Koz

Could not wait till all the snow is down, gotta go to work in the morning. Anyway, the GX is amazing in the snow, it just bites in and is very smooth. I didn't slip anywhere and didn't have to lock the diff at all. I'd love to get it in some deep snow.
Attached Thumbnails Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-img_5632b.jpg  
Old 12-26-10, 08:11 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

darn i dont have my gx! Wife took it to North Jersey...
Old 12-27-10, 05:15 AM
Koz

I woke up (5 am) to 14" of snow and drifts of a several feet. Just for the hell of it, I cleared the snow from just the door, to get in the vehicle and see if I could just drive out of the spot (I didn't expect to get out without digging). I locked the center diff and backed up until it stopped, put it in drive and pulled right out of the spot. I can't believe how easy it pulled out. The snow was half way up the side of the vehicle from the plowing. I think it was so easy because the snow was fresh and powdery, but it was over 2 feet. Needless to say the ride to work was a walk in the park! So far the GX is proving to be amazing in the snow with just OEM Michelins.

Note: The Husky floor liners/mats held every bit of the snow/water and filled the liner without the carpet getting wet. It is so nice to just get in the vehicle without having to worry about how much snow is on your boots.

Koz
Old 01-07-11, 09:03 AM
vparmar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences

Hello,

I Locked Differentials and put DAC on, but still car was Skidding while going downhill .

Any one faced this issue? do i have to select any other options that will help with this skidding issue?

Thanks,
VJ
Old 01-07-11, 10:26 AM
Koz

Locking the diff does nothing going downhill (It may even have disabled VSC). I think for DAC to work you need to use 4LO.

Koz
Old 01-07-11, 11:27 AM
vparmar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Koz. I will try 4LO option.
Old 01-07-11, 12:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vparmar
Thanks Koz. I will try 4LO option.
Koz is correct that DAC only works when the four-wheel drive control switch is in the L4 position. Page 328 of the GX 460 Owners Manual is appended, which introduces the DAC system.

However, the problem you reported (skidding while driving downhill) is caused by loss of traction due to snow. My understanding of DAC is it is a another way of controlling vehicle speed on steep downhill grades, but it can't help with a traction problem caused by snow. In particular, on page 330 the manual warns NOT to use DAC on slippery or icy surfaces or on unpaved roads. It also warns that DAC "... does not extend the vehicles performance limitations."

It seems that if you can drive the same section of road in clear and dry weather without DAC you should be able to do the same when it snows, although you may need to lower your speed. Save the DAC for an extremely steep section of paved road, which begs the question ... where is there a need for DAC ... other than a parking garage ramp? ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-downhill-assist-control.jpg   Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires-downhill-assist-control-.jpg  
Old 01-07-11, 06:16 PM
vparmar
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank You

Thanks SaniDel for taking time and sharing this info.. I will not use any options on Icy/downhill section.

VJ
Old 01-07-11, 08:20 PM
JsGX460
Driver

It's lack of traction as explained more than anything else.

Have folks with the stock tires considered siping them to provide an extra level of traction? it also extends tire life...

might be worth the couple of bucks.
Old 01-08-11, 07:35 PM
Koz

If icy roads are the norm I would recommend,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Crawl control could help with the right tires. After getting about 2ft of snow I've been experimenting with it and system does help in deep snow. The GX is amazing in the snow even with the OEM tires.
Old 01-09-11, 11:41 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...&AID=10398365&

It appears these tires are heavily 'siped' ... is that the reason they work so well or is it the tread pattern?
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Snow or Ice Driving Questions/Concerns/Experiences /Tires