Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This is approaching the driver’s seat.
Attached Thumbnails My Ship Has Come In-sill-and-ground.jpg  
Old 12-04-10, 07:39 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
There is a big difference between a flashlight and auto lights.

Koz
Not really. The hella drls and philips drls use the same leds as the flashlights.

Also, HID has much higher lumen output than any led.

Until leds start approaching the lumen output of a basic halogen headlight, they shouldnt be used on a fog or head lamp. Have you noticed, lexus stopped putting those led headlights on the LS?
Old 12-05-10, 06:04 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Not really. The hella drls and philips drls use the same leds as the flashlights.

Also, HID has much higher lumen output than any led.

Until leds start approaching the lumen output of a basic halogen headlight, they shouldnt be used on a fog or head lamp. Have you noticed, lexus stopped putting those led headlights on the LS?
Again, there is no reason to use brighter interior bulbs. I had to use the 360 degree M-SMTs because the forward facing bulbs were way too bright. I agree LEDs don't work well as headlight but I feel they work perfect for the fogs. These 28 M-SMTs are brighter and look way better then the OEM 55w H11s. They are not as bright as the HID but they work great, they're plug & play, draw less then half the amps, no ballasts, less expensive, and are maintenance free.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 12-06-10 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 05:47 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice Koz!

Thanks for posting the pics.
Old 12-06-10, 06:28 AM
Koz

I'm thinking about changing the running board bulbs (4 forward firing) to the 360 degree bulbs because the forward firing bulbs throw the light in two spots straight down (plenty of light) and not so much on the running boards. I will post the results.

Koz
Old 12-06-10, 06:30 AM
Koz

I also used the forward firing bulbs (194s) for the reverse lights. Looks very good but will also try the 360 bulbs. Again I will post the results.

Koz
Old 12-06-10, 04:57 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
I'm thinking about changing the running board bulbs (4 forward firing) to the 360 degree bulbs because the forward firing bulbs throw the light in two spots straight down (plenty of light) and not so much on the running boards. I will post the results.

Koz
I tried both.

You'll get more light on the running boards with the 360 degree bulbs, but significantly less light on the ground.
Old 12-06-10, 05:21 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by antonio98
I tried both.

You'll get more light on the running boards with the 360 degree bulbs, but significantly less light on the ground.
Which do you prefer?

Koz
Old 05-01-11, 03:22 PM
JDUBYA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
This is all very helpful to me. I can not believe that Lexus is still using bulbs that give off this yellow color on a SUV in this price range. We just got rid of our Audi Q7 for this GX and I love everything except for these bulbs. I did speak with a technician and he told me that if I replaced the running board lights with LED lights they would flicker instead of dimming due to LED's not being able to handle the diming function. Have you found this to be true?
Old 05-01-11, 03:56 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDUBYA
This is all very helpful to me. I can not believe that Lexus is still using bulbs that give off this yellow color on a SUV in this price range. We just got rid of our Audi Q7 for this GX and I love everything except for these bulbs. I did speak with a technician and he told me that if I replaced the running board lights with LED lights they would flicker instead of dimming due to LED's not being able to handle the diming function. Have you found this to be true?
That is absolutely not true.

The modern LED bulbs also dim.

The best quality bulbs I've found are from VLEDs as listed on the DIY thread.
Old 05-01-11, 05:31 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The modern LED bulbs also dim.
It depends on how the dimming circuit was designed. If it is a DC (constant voltage) circuit you are correct ... reducing the voltage will dim the LEDs.

However, if it is an AC (varying voltage) circuit ... well, it depends on how it was designed. A simple AC circuit will probably work, but one that is controlled by digital logic that varies the waveform may not. In particular, digital logic that turns the circuit off and on for varying duty cycles will likely flicker. Incandescent bulbs are largely immune to flicker as their response is so slow, but LED's can turn on and off very quickly ... think about the blinking LEDs on modern electronics ... they can blink many times per second, which our eye perceives as flicker.

Bottom line ... lacking the details of how the circuit works, test it with one LED before investing in wholesale replacement.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-01-11, 07:26 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SaniDel
It depends on how the dimming circuit was designed. If it is a DC (constant voltage) circuit you are correct ... reducing the voltage will dim the LEDs.

However, if it is an AC (varying voltage) circuit ... well, it depends on how it was designed. A simple AC circuit will probably work, but one that is controlled by digital logic that varies the waveform may not. In particular, digital logic that turns the circuit off and on for varying duty cycles will likely flicker. Incandescent bulbs are largely immune to flicker as their response is so slow, but LED's can turn on and off very quickly ... think about the blinking LEDs on modern electronics ... they can blink many times per second, which our eye perceives as flicker.

Bottom line ... lacking the details of how the circuit works, test it with one LED before investing in wholesale replacement.
Regards,

SaniDel
If you go VLEDs as suggested, you don't have to worry about all of that.
Old 05-02-11, 08:09 AM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you go VLEDs as suggested, you don't have to worry about all of that.
Agree! All dim very nicely and work perfectly from v-leds DIY section has plenty of pictures and suggestions which bulbs to buy.
Old 05-02-11, 09:22 AM
JDUBYA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Agree! All dim very nicely and work perfectly from v-leds DIY section has plenty of pictures and suggestions which bulbs to buy.
So someone has replaced these running board lights with LED's and can verify that they dont flicker? Also I would like to know the outcome of KOZ's 360 degree led's as opposed to the downfiring ones for the running boards. Are these hard to install?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Ship Has Come In