Lexus GX vs. Mercedes GL- Safety

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 07:16 PM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GX vs. Mercedes GL- Safety

Hi everyone,
As a previous owner of the first generation GX owner, I was left very happy throughout my lease. Thankfully, I never had to find out how safe the car was nor at that time was I as inquisitive. However, having been in two accidents over the past year in my Nissan Armada, I am more concerned with the safety of my vehicles. My Armada is due to come off lease towards the beginning of the next year.

I am considering the Lexus GX and Mercedes GL/R-class as potential replacements. All cars satisfy my main requirements (parking sonar, rearview camera, etc.)...I am also aware that the GX has gotten the stability control update. However, my co-workers keep on saying how safe Mercedes is as they have heard of numerous horror stories where people escaped death just by being in a Mercedes. They attribute this to some "safety cage"

I am sure the Lexus also has to be pretty safe. But when comparing the two, which is the better choice just for the safety aspect? Does the GX have the "safety cage" and pretty comparable to the Mercedes products in that regard?

I know it is hard to get a completely biased answer being on a Lexus forum, and I'm not trying to start a heated debate...I just want to know which car will do the best job at protecting my loved ones and I in an accident. I swear drivers in Orange County are getting more and more erratic as the days pass (too many drunk drivers!)

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-10, 10:51 AM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The Lexus has 10 airbags and all of the saftey features that are standard in a luxury vehicle. On the upside is the reputation of realibility of Lexus versus Mercedes Benz. Lexus is the winner hands down. This year has seen alot of negative reports about Lexus/Toyota acceleration. The results will show that almost all of those reports were driver error, except for floor mats that stuck pedals. My father and sister had Mercedes Benz cars and they are extermly disappointed with the cars. The realibility was awful. I feel very safe in the Lexus and for the last 4 months there has been no issues at all with the car. Lexus over Mercedes any day.
Old 10-24-10, 10:56 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure both are safe vehicles. One thing benz has always been known for is safety. Although reliability suffered in the past 08+ benz's are pretty reliable.
Old 10-24-10, 12:23 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The GX has more air bags, including full lenth (all three rows) side curtain and knee air bags. As far as reliability;

Not only was the GX460 rated the MOST reliable premium mid sized SUV it also has the best mileage rating.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...sover-and-suv/

Koz
Old 10-24-10, 01:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

honestly, safety is the last thing you need to worry about with both of these vehicles. I mean we are talking about expensive brand name luxury vehicles here, and they will both likely provide the same levels of safety. It will solely depends on how bad the accident is and not how each car was designed.

Regarding the safety cage, I believe it was just a term that Mercedes coined as they basically invented most of the safety aspects we see in vehicles today, from airbags, to seat belt pretensioners, to abs, to vehicle stability control. Of course, all of these things are present in all luxury and mainstream cars. All cars have a safety cage, its the area that the passengers are kept, and its the area that needs to remain untouched in an accident. Mercedes did a great job with it on the SMART car.

Just some general advice: The GL has been out for more than a few years now, and its getting a bit long in the tooth in terms of tech. However, the GL looks better IMO. Plus you have already driven a GX for awhile, so maybe you want to try something new? I wouldn't worry about Benz reliability, they are back on track.

Perhaps this other thread we are having in the car chat forum can lend you some advice.
That OP is also talking about the GL.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-help-out.html
Old 10-24-10, 03:35 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SilvahGX
... I just want to know which car will do the best job at protecting my loved ones and I in an accident.
None of the above. If safety is your paramount concern, don't buy any SUV as they are inherently unstable and prone to roll-over. That problem can be 'managed' with electronic stability control, which as you know was extensively publicized and revised shortly after the GX 460 was released. Nonetheless, all SUV's compare poorly to sedans:

http://www.automoblog.net/2010/10/06...fest-vehicles/

The one advantage that large SUVs offer is obvious ... size does matter! In a head-on or side-on collision, the occupants of larger vehicles and especially SUV's fare 'better' than the occupants of smaller vehicles. So, if "protecting your loved ones" means that in an accident they live ... but the people in the other vehicle die ... well, that is one way of measuring vehicle safety, but it is "cold comfort".

As your concern seems more being run into rather than flipping over, perhaps the advantage of size vs. the risk of rollover justifies an SUV for your family. In which case, the GX 460 is not only a new design, but also that specific risk has been thoroughly evaluated and in a very public manner. It is comforting to know that Consumer Reports rescinded their "Do Not Buy" and now considers the GX 460 handling "... ultimately secure."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...#roadtestvideo

Watch their road test video, which is a lot more interesting ... especially since they concede most of their complaints ... because the GX 460 is a truck!
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 10-24-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 03:54 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

State Farm gave my GX 460 a higher safety rating than my LS 460. Check with your insurance agent as far as safety rating on both vehicles. The GL Mercedes doesn't have 4 low. It's not meant for off road use...
Old 10-24-10, 04:25 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good suggestion, Craig!

Here are State Farm's vehicle ratings for Lexus and Mercedes-Benz:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/a...ting/lexus.asp

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/a...cedes-benz.asp

In general, the bigger sedans and SUVs had the biggest safety discount and the smaller sedans had the smallest safety discount. In particular, the Mercedes-Benz diminutive C Class sedans get no discount for safety whereas all Lexus vehicles receive some discount for safety ... even the IS sedans.

Unfortunately, these tables are not yet updated with the GX 460 although they do include the GX 470. The Vehicle Safety Discount (VSD) is 40% for the GX 470 as it is for the three GL models. Presuming the Lexus GX 460 will receive the same safety discount as the 470, in a comparison between the two vehicles on the basis of safety, State Farm says they are the same.

In summary, there is no justification for selecting one over the other solely on the basis of safety.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Notice that the Lexus GX 470 has a Damage and Theft Index rating of 'A' (charged significantly lower-than-standard premium) vs. 'B' (charged somewhat lower-than-standard premium) for the three GL models.

Last edited by SaniDel; 10-24-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 05:17 PM
Koz

The GX uses advanced dual stage air bags, seat mounted side air bags for the front and middle seats, driver and passenger knee air bags, again full air curtain air bags, active headrests, all seats have 3 point seat belts, auto locking retractor/emergency locking retractor seatbelts, child restraint seat anchors, front and rear body crumple zones and a collapsible steering wheel.

The GX has the following available; lane departure alert, wide-view front/rear/side monitor system, dynamic radar cruise control, pre-collision system W/driver attention monitor, intelligent high beam headlights which are also adaptive HID headlights.

The GX also has a 2 speed gear box with full time 4WD and a limited slip center diff that can be locked, stabilty control, ABS, A-TRAC, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution, hill start assist, downhill assist and crawl control, safety connect w/automatic collision notifcation, stolen vehicle locator, an emergency assistance button with enhanced roadside assistance and a first aid kit.

Koz
Old 10-25-10, 06:50 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

imho, if in a rollover, i would rather be in a mercedes. where are the roof strength tests people? I doubt lexus excels in that area.
Old 10-25-10, 08:00 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by T4Fun
imho, if in a rollover, i would rather be in a mercedes. where are the roof strength tests people? I doubt lexus excels in that area.
Since you feel this is so important, what info/data do you have that makes you feel safer in the Benz.

Koz
Old 12-30-10, 12:55 AM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately if I don't buy an SUV, the only other option would be R350 for MB or Minivan...don't want to look at those at the moment.

However the GX with PCS does seem to make for a safer vehicle than the MB GL

Thanks for responses!