GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Question for the gx460 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 08:26 AM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the gx460 owners?

Alright guys i got them to replace it after talking to the GM. They said they don't have 2010 anymore so they will swap it with a 2011 but said i will have to pay a difference in price cause of price increase on the 2011 and being a 2011 that i will have to a little more. So how much you guys think i should accept on paying them? I am only willing to pay $1000 max. for the exchange difference. What do you guys think? Please give me your opinion ASAP.
Old 10-15-10, 08:58 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Why is it being replaced?

Koz
Old 10-15-10, 09:01 AM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
Why is it being replaced?

Koz
because i have to keep taking it in to get the problems fix and they have not had luck doing it. So i pushed them to replace a new one for me.
Old 10-15-10, 12:28 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gx460
Alright guys i got them to replace it after talking to the GM. They said they don't have 2010 anymore so they will swap it with a 2011 but said i will have to pay a difference in price cause of price increase on the 2011 and being a 2011 that i will have to a little more. So how much you guys think i should accept on paying them? I am only willing to pay $1000 max. for the exchange difference. What do you guys think? Please give me your opinion ASAP.
Let me be sure I understand this correctly. You bought a new 2010 GX 460, had the use of the vehicle other than for the time it was in for service and now you are doing a trade-in on a new 2011 GX 460.

I realize you had problems with your 2010, which your dealer did not resolve, but which is the more valuable choice?

1. A used 2010 with problems that could eventually be made right if you persist, or

2. A new 2011?

Quite frankly, I would jump at the second choice ... and for a lot more than $1,000!

Maybe a better question to ask is what is the trade-in difference on a used 2010 for a new 2011, assuming there are no problems? I imagine it is a lot more than $1,000, right? Has anyone already done that and how much did it cost them?

The way I view this transaction is that the dealer is offering you a "screaming deal" on a trade-in for a newer vehicle in consideration of your troubles. You are bargaining from a position of strength ... the dealer concedes your problems and there are no more 2010's to be had. Don't lose this deal over a trivial amount of money!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. The "price increase" claimed by your dealer is an illusion ... the real difference between the two vehicles is the model year and you are trading a used vehicle for a new vehicle ... and the dealer is asking only $1,000!

P.P.S. There are situations where you can reasonably expect a "zero cost" exchange of a used vehicle for a new vehicle. It happened to us as explained here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5747992-post27.html

Last edited by SaniDel; 10-15-10 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added second postscript for zero cost exchange situation
Old 10-15-10, 02:54 PM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Let me be sure I understand this correctly. You bought a new 2010 GX 460, had the use of the vehicle other than for the time it was in for service and now you are doing a trade-in on a new 2011 GX 460.

I realize you had problems with your 2010, which your dealer did not resolve, but which is the more valuable choice?

1. A used 2010 with problems that could eventually be made right if you persist, or

2. A new 2011?

Quite frankly, I would jump at the second choice ... and for a lot more than $1,000!

Maybe a better question to ask is what is the trade-in difference on a used 2010 for a new 2011, assuming there are no problems? I imagine it is a lot more than $1,000, right? Has anyone already done that and how much did it cost them?

The way I view this transaction is that the dealer is offering you a "screaming deal" on a trade-in for a newer vehicle in consideration of your troubles. You are bargaining from a position of strength ... the dealer concedes your problems and there are no more 2010's to be had. Don't lose this deal over a trivial amount of money!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. The "price increase" claimed by your dealer is an illusion ... the real difference between the two vehicles is the model year and you are trading a used vehicle for a new vehicle ... and the dealer is asking only $1,000!

P.P.S. There are situations where you can reasonably expect a "zero cost" exchange of a used vehicle for a new vehicle. It happened to us as explained here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5747992-post27.html
I guess you can call it trade-in or exchange. The reason why is because i am tired of going back and fourth trying to fix the gx, so i pushed them to exchange it due to the problems the gx is having. There is a price increase on the 2011 model but its only $449. I did see the sticker price myself. My 2010 MRSP is $62,246 and the 2011 is $62,695 and it has the same options. So i will have to pay the difference of $449. Paying $449 is not much considering i am getting the 2011 gx. I really do not wanna pay anything but i just wanna get it over with, if i want i could just keep the 2010 gx and keep on taking in the dealer enough times so that it can meet the lemon law requirement then get an exchange then. I don't want to go that way cause it will take up a lot of my time and i know that my time is worth more then $449.
Old 10-15-10, 02:56 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like a great resolution to your problem.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-10, 03:02 PM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antonio98
That sounds like a great resolution to your problem.

Good luck!
Thanks thats what i think too.
Old 10-15-10, 05:23 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gx460
... Paying $449 is not much considering i am getting the 2011 gx. I really do not wanna pay anything but i just wanna get it over with, if i want i could just keep the 2010 gx and keep on taking in the dealer enough times so that it can meet the lemon law requirement then get an exchange then. I don't want to go that way cause it will take up a lot of my time and i know that my time is worth more then $449.

Congratulations! For $449 you will get a new vehicle and also a new model year. That will make it more valuable when you eventually trade or sell for your next vehicle. You will presumably not have the same problems although you will eventually have new problems. You also have the convenience of continuing to drive your 2010 until the new 2011 arrives ... as you said, your time is worth more than the money it will cost.

Your dealer has generously 'overlooked' the depreciation of your used 2010, which is a "soft number" but is often estimated as 25% of the purchase price. One way to estimate depreciation is the "blue book" value of your used 2010 with whatever mileage it has accumulated. Imagine if instead of working with your dealer you had tried to sell your used 2010 directly!

Your good experience reinforces the advice we received from our lawyer when we were in your situation ... be nice, but be firm and continue to work with the dealer rather than to "burn our bridges" and walk away in anger. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-16-10, 08:29 AM
gx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Congratulations! For $449 you will get a new vehicle and also a new model year. That will make it more valuable when you eventually trade or sell for your next vehicle. You will presumably not have the same problems although you will eventually have new problems. You also have the convenience of continuing to drive your 2010 until the new 2011 arrives ... as you said, your time is worth more than the money it will cost.

Your dealer has generously 'overlooked' the depreciation of your used 2010, which is a "soft number" but is often estimated as 25% of the purchase price. One way to estimate depreciation is the "blue book" value of your used 2010 with whatever mileage it has accumulated. Imagine if instead of working with your dealer you had tried to sell your used 2010 directly!

Your good experience reinforces the advice we received from our lawyer when we were in your situation ... be nice, but be firm and continue to work with the dealer rather than to "burn our bridges" and walk away in anger. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks to everyone on this forum for there opinions. This is a great forum to get info and share info for which everyone is helping one another. I am relieved now that everything is done and behind me. I am still driving my gx until the new one gets here by the first week of Nov. The paper work was signed yesterday. I hope no else has to go through this kind of matters cause it does took a toll on you.

Once again Thanks everyone!!
Old 10-16-10, 09:23 AM
Eurosport
Rookie

not sure why you even asked the question, for 449 like others have said, it's a no brainer...

enjoy the new one in good health