GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Best After Market Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 08:16 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best After Market Trailer Hitch

What do you recommend for the best trailer hitch for the 2010 GX. I will basically use it to hook my bike rack. I would like something that doesn't show but it's strong and rust free.
Old 10-03-10, 08:49 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...0-2010-32.html

Make sure you create an account first and log in before adding to cart (use your username from here as part of registration). You will get additional discount.

Here it is the same OEM on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Luke27617; 10-03-10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 05:56 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There is no such thing as a rust free hitch! Any powder coated, painted or chrome plated steel will rust. Every couple years you will have to touch it up. You can get away with the lowest tow rated hitch made if all you are going to use it for is a bike rack. You do not need to add a electical connector either. Also, I don't think there is a hitch that doesn't show.

You could use this if you want.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2010303084

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 10-04-10 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 08:03 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Smile

Thanks a lot for the link to the website, it has a lot of neat things I thought I couldn't get anywhere else but the dealer.
Old 10-03-11, 04:56 PM
GXdriver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
There is no such thing as a rust free hitch! Any powder coated, painted or chrome plated steel will rust. Every couple years you will have to touch it up. You can get away with the lowest tow rated hitch made if all you are going to use it for is a bike rack. You do not need to add a electical connector either. Also, I don't think there is a hitch that doesn't show.

Koz

I needed a hitch for some lightweight purposes and ordered this rack a few weeks ago. It is only class III (plenty for me) and took 10 minutes to install.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-03-11, 07:23 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know about this thread but I came to the same conclusion after extensive research. I got the Curt hitch from Amazon a month ago:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZS32CW

Best price I found online.
Old 10-03-11, 07:31 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
try fluid flim for rust free hitch
Old 10-04-11, 10:05 AM
Golferguy
Driver School Candidate

I needed simple hitches for a small cargo rack and a bike carrier. I have had good results with hitches from etrailer.com. They filled my needs nicely, fit good, and easy to install.
Old 10-05-11, 11:55 AM
texaskathy
Driver School Candidate

I really wish I would have seen this thread before ordering my hitch! I ordered the one from Sewell not realizing it would be difficult to install. I also only need to it hold a bike rack. I may try to cut my losses and craig list this one and order the cheaper one rather than pay a dealer to install. They quoted two hours of labor.
Old 10-05-11, 03:57 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texaskathy
I really wish I would have seen this thread before ordering my hitch! I ordered the one from Sewell not realizing it would be difficult to install. I also only need to it hold a bike rack. I may try to cut my losses and craig list this one and order the cheaper one rather than pay a dealer to install. They quoted two hours of labor.
The OEM hitch is easy to install. I also ordered from Sewell. I found it was a 2 person install, but only took 45 mins. The hardest part was holding both sides up while inserting the bolts. It's a quality, perfect fit for the GX 460.
Old 10-05-11, 07:41 PM
rxgxmdx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texaskathy
I also only need to it hold a bike rack. I may try to cut my losses and craig list this one and order the cheaper one rather than pay a dealer to install. They quoted two hours of labor.
Fir st of all, don't go to the dealer! It shouldn't take 2 hours. Call a local garage (e.g. gas station), or a U-Haul shop, or even a small bodyshop and ask for a quote. If you want to cut some corners since you plan to use it for bikes, you can skip the wiring part. But I suspect you can have all installed within an hour's labor.

Instead of selling it on craiglists, you could use CL to hire a handyman to install it for you. He will come to your place with his own tools. I'd probably offer $50 -- you may be overwhelmed by the responses!
Old 10-06-11, 07:26 AM
texaskathy
Driver School Candidate

Great advice guys. The instructions said you needed a special tool to lower the muffler? Thoughts??

Kathy
Old 10-06-11, 10:30 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No special tool required. Like many vehicles, the GX muffler hangs by a rubber sling to isolate vibration. Can be removed without the special tool.

I installed the factory hitch by myself. Took about an hour. Used jack stands and zip ties in lieu of a second person.

The OEM hitch is far superior to the aftermarket hitches in terms of quality and ruggedness. Whereas the aftermarket hitches attach the the frame cross member the OEM hitch also attaches to the frame rails. If you are doing anything but carrying bicycles the OEM is the way to go.
Old 10-06-11, 02:16 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Local U-haul did mine for $30!!
Old 10-12-11, 06:18 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by closenough
No special tool required. Like many vehicles, the GX muffler hangs by a rubber sling to isolate vibration. Can be removed without the special tool.

I installed the factory hitch by myself. Took about an hour. Used jack stands and zip ties in lieu of a second person.

The OEM hitch is far superior to the aftermarket hitches in terms of quality and ruggedness. Whereas the aftermarket hitches attach the the frame cross member the OEM hitch also attaches to the frame rails. If you are doing anything but carrying bicycles the OEM is the way to go.
Good advice!