GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake Issues/Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 04:02 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to worry! This is normal. After a short time you will not even hear it.

Koz
Old 10-25-12, 09:18 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
Yes you are correct. Unless the guy saying something about live cobras hissing is correct. Then there might be a reason to worry.

Ok it's a good laugh, but for anyone seriously asking about the noise when you press the brake pedal..........I'm seriously glad you are in tune with your cars enough to notice that noise. Most people don't. But it really is normal. If it were me, I'd ask if it was a normal noise too. So yes, it is.

So time to talk about something else. How about the engine breaking in on a GX460????? GX470 can just about pop a wheelie from a dead stop. but GX460 doesn't like to move from a dead stop at all........ WHEN IT'S NEW. It takes at least 30k for that motor to be fully broken in. Then it's happy to move. Huge difference. Why don't GX460 owners talk about that. or maybe they do. I don't read every thread. Well actually, I don't read many at all. sorry if someone already brought that up
Old 10-25-12, 09:52 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be the only one that enjoys that hissing noise
Old 10-26-12, 06:07 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
So time to talk about something else. How about the engine breaking in on a GX460????? GX470 can just about pop a wheelie from a dead stop. but GX460 doesn't like to move from a dead stop at all........ WHEN IT'S NEW. It takes at least 30k for that motor to be fully broken in. Then it's happy to move. Huge difference. Why don't GX460 owners talk about that. or maybe they do. I don't read every thread. Well actually, I don't read many at all. sorry if someone already brought that up
It takes less then 1K miles for the 4.6 to break-in (more like a couple hundred). It may take several oil changes to get the break-in debris removed. As far as moving from a dead stop, I find the 4.6 to be more responsive, quicker and more efficient then the 4.7. This is pretty amazing considering there is an approx 500 lbs weight difference. This has a lot to do with the engine tune, 6 speed trans and gearing. I pull a trailer and the 4.6/6 speed/3.9 final gear ratio combo provides more torque sooner and longer then the 4.7/5 speed. If you are experiencing any hesitation there may be something wrong. You are using at least 91 octane fuel?

Koz
Old 10-26-12, 06:15 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure out of the 500 or more GX's I've driven, at least some of them were using 91 octane fuel.

And since i'm not an owner, I don't get accustomed to a gradual change as the engine breaks in. When I drive one car that has 1000 miles on and then jump in another that has 30k on it, there is a very noticeable difference.

And trust me, I'm not trying to insult the UR motor. I have a very love/hate relationship with it. (mostly LS460 which has the same basic motor with some minor differences). It's far more advanced then the 2UZ....which is why you have more power and better fuel economy. But a GX470 with premium fuel does jump off the line (0-5 mph)better than pretty much any other Lexus. except the LF-A.
Old 10-27-12, 11:48 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure out of the 500 or more GX's I've driven, at least some of them were using 91 octane fuel.

And since i'm not an owner, I don't get accustomed to a gradual change as the engine breaks in. When I drive one car that has 1000 miles on and then jump in another that has 30k on it, there is a very noticeable difference.

And trust me, I'm not trying to insult the UR motor. I have a very love/hate relationship with it. (mostly LS460 which has the same basic motor with some minor differences). It's far more advanced then the 2UZ....which is why you have more power and better fuel economy. But a GX470 with premium fuel does jump off the line (0-5 mph)better than pretty much any other Lexus. except the LF-A.
I was surprised that my previous 2004 GX470 with 235 HP on regular gas seemed to have more power from a standing start than my current GX.
Old 01-18-13, 08:37 AM
Teddyofind
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
is it just me? I can hear the noise even when the radio and fan are on. Is it my GX making lounder noise than others when braking?
Old 01-18-13, 02:46 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have an LS 460 and a GX 460. The GX 460 is really sluggish compared to the LS. Merging into fast moving traffic on the GX is not very pleasant. The LS on the other hand merges effortlessly into fast moving traffic. I know the GX is heavier, but if it's a very similar engine why is there such a big difference?
Old 01-18-13, 03:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I have an LS 460 and a GX 460. The GX 460 is really sluggish compared to the LS. Merging into fast moving traffic on the GX is not very pleasant. The LS on the other hand merges effortlessly into fast moving traffic. I know the GX is heavier, but if it's a very similar engine why is there such a big difference?
It's the GX transmission trying to improve mileage by shifting into the highest possible gear. If you want your GX to be more responsive, you'll have to shift into 'S' and anticipate what gear you want to use. Think of it as a "shift limiter" ... the number on the display is the "not to exceed" gear.

Pulling the shift lever left from 'D' into 'S' selects 4th gear, but you could be in 3rd or less if you are going very slowly. Do this before you merge into traffic and leave it in '4' as you merge. Push the shift lever forward before you red-line, but release it quickly to select 5 or hold it for a second or more to select 6. When you see everyone you passed in your rear-view mirror, push it back into 'D'!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-18-13, 07:25 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I would do a bunch of jack rabbit starts in the GX to at least 50 MPH, so it remembers you prefer faster acceleration. It seems to have worked for me. Also, consider the fact that the LS has a "few" more HP than the GX. There's a big difference in gearing and the GX is full time 4 wheel drive, which is not favorable for the best acceleration. I just drive the two cars accordingly I get a kick out of being at 60 MPH in M3 with 5 gears left in the LS.
Old 08-17-13, 12:28 PM
DShanks
Driver School Candidate

Angry Lexus GX460 Break problems

I purchased my 2012 GX2012 in Nov 2012 and immediately noticed that the brakes were different than any other Lexus I owned (since 1990). I have to push much farther on the brake pedal before the car even begins to stop which gives us cause for some anxiety at each stop, especially a quick stop. The car also creeps forward after it is stopped. I did some tests on the creeping and found that if the AC compressor is not running and you stop the car the idle speed reading is 600 rpm. If while stopped the compressor starts the idle speed increases to about 850 rpm after which the car begins to creep (sometimes rapidly). On the other had if the compressor is running at the time you stop the car (idle speed 850 rpm) it will not creep when the compressor stops (idle speed reduces to 600 rpm) and then increases again when the compressor starts. This may be due to the need for increased foot pressure to stop the car when the compressor is running. Not sure. The fact is I believe this is a dangerous condition that needs to be repaired before someone unknowingly creeps into the car in front of them. I also believe that that extended pedal travel is dangerous in that it takes longer to stop the car than it should thus creating a possible accident scenario. I have complained about this to our Dealer (Lexus of Naperville) but they say it is normal. Having nearly had 3 accidents because of the brakes on this car and having had other Lexus SUV’s in the past for comparison, I don’t agree with "normal". Who do I contact to get this info to someone at Lexus who cares?

Last edited by DShanks; 08-19-13 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-17-13, 04:24 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DShanks
I purchased my 2012 GX2012 in Nov 2012 and immediately noticed that the breaks were different than any other Lexus I owned (since 1990). I have to push much farther on the break pedal before the car even begins to stop which gives us cause for some anxiety at each stop, especially a quick stop. The car also creeps forward after it is stopped. I did some tests on the creeping and found that if the AC compressor is not running and you stop the car the idle speed reading is 600 rpm. If while stopped the compressor starts the idle speed increases to about 850 rpm after which the car begins to creep (sometimes rapidly). On the other had if the compressor is running at the time you stop the car (idle speed 850 rpm) it will not creep when the compressor stops (idle speed reduces to 600 rpm) and then increases again when the compressor starts. This may be due to the need for increased foot pressure to stop the car when the compressor is running. Not sure. The fact is I believe this is a dangerous condition that needs to be repaired before someone unknowingly creeps into the car in front of them. I also believe that that extended pedal travel is dangerous in that it takes longer to stop the car than it should thus creating a possible accident scenario. I have complained about this to our Dealer (Lexus of Naperville) but they say it is normal. Having nearly had 3 accidents because of the breaks on this car and having had other Lexus SUV’s in the past for comparison, I don’t agree with "normal". Who do I contact to get this info to someone at Lexus who cares?
You could ask for a Lexus district service manager to inspect your vehicle. You can also call 1-800-25-Lexus and ask them to send someone to inspect your vehicle. It would be great if you could make an appt. and be there when it's inspected.
Old 08-17-13, 06:10 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
You could ask for a Lexus district service manager to inspect your vehicle. You can also call 1-800-25-Lexus and ask them to send someone to inspect your vehicle. It would be great if you could make an appt. and be there when it's inspected.
I agree with Craig's advice about how to deal with a problem, but I don't believe that there is a problem.

This is another "beat a dead horse" thread that we have discussed since 2010 and the consensus, although not unanimous ... is "get used to it" as that is how the GX 460 was designed. We've all experienced that uneasy feeling at a stop that our vehicle is creeping, but it's simple to ... well, stop ... stand on the brake pedal! One of our forum members reported what happens if you put a GX 460 in gear and take your foot off the brake on level ground ... if I recall right it accelerated, upshifted and eventually reached about 20MPH!

If that is unacceptable to you, then you bought the wrong vehicle, but as it isn't a defect there is no reason why you should feel stuck with your choice. Our dealership is pleading for GX 460s to have on their lot for the winter and will offer 120% of "blue book value".
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. If you have any doubt of the GX's ability to stop quickly, stand on the brakes while it is moving ...
Old 08-17-13, 08:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

While it may not be a defect it is definitely a nuisance and since it is my wife's truck and she is all of a buck ten, it is hard for her at lights and in traffic every day. We definitely bought the right truck for us and our 08 GX470 did not have this issue so not sure why the GX460 has to be this way. We have been looking at other SUVs because of this but none offer what the GX does in spite of the brake issue. If the '14 does not have this issue we will trade ours in in a heartbeat.

With all that said, we just went on vacation today and drove three hours and the GX was so smooth and quiet, it was great.
Old 08-18-13, 03:16 PM
DShanks
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 break problem

I am convinced we bought the wrong vehicle and I have told my dealer just that. My problem is we bought the vehicle based on owning a 2005 GX470 that was probably the best car I have ever owned. Since it did not have the brake problem and the dealer never mentioned that the GX460 did, we trusted that an upgrade to the Lexus GX series would be just that, an upgrade. I have nothing bad to say about the GX460 other than the brakes. It rides well, is quiet, the features are great, etc but the brakes in my mind, after owning it for 8000 miles, are dangerous. I have had the car in 3 times for this problem and as you say the dealer says it is normal. I made sure that Lexus has this documented. I see now that I am not the only one that is concerned over this "normal" problem. Lexus had a good thing going with the GX470 not sure what the reason was for messing it up. If Lexus would offer me a full rebate less 8000 miles for the car I would take it in a shot. Since they won't I am stuck with it for a while. I am a victim of buyer beware on this one. Live and learn. At least now when I go to another dealer for my next car I will know to test the brakes before I buy.

Last edited by DShanks; 08-19-13 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Issues/Problems/Questions