GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Bumpers - check out the color

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 07:13 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Bumpers - check out the color

just noticed today my suv has slightly different color bumpers than the rest of the body. Color is starfire pearl. The bumpers look a tad yellowish compared to rest of body. Anyone else with this issue? Probably will report it to lexus. The color variation is very subtle, but its there. If i noticed it, how many others would? Guys technically are blind, and i noticed
Old 09-09-10, 07:24 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
just noticed today my suv has slightly different color bumpers than the rest of the body. Color is starfire pearl. The bumpers look a tad yellowish compared to rest of body. Anyone else with this issue? Probably will report it to lexus. The color variation is very subtle, but its there. If i noticed it, how many others would? Guys technically are blind, and i noticed
I have seen this before on 2006 4runner I had and it is noticable on some colors more. I have been told that car and bumpers are not painted in the same location where the final assembly happens.

Also it may happened as well, that you truck was repaired at destination port to factory specs. When I got my BMW in Munich (European delivery program), I have spoke with the shipping company and they have mentioned that a % of cars get damaged during shippment and get repaired at the port.

I think you may be dealing with the first scenerio since you have a more complex color.
Old 09-10-10, 06:15 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Color variations happen on every vehicle made and Lexus is no exception when crossing substrates. It's more noticeable on some colors than others but basically speaking, the same color mix will appear different on plastic (the bumper) than metal (the body). Metallic paints help or accentuate the variations.

Manufacturers will try and limit the cross over points as much as possible and also try to not have flush meeting points where substrates change. This helps somewhat hide the visual differences that will naturally occur.

Old 09-10-10, 11:01 AM
cannysage
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Color variations happen on every vehicle made and Lexus is no exception when crossing substrates. It's more noticeable on some colors than others but basically speaking, the same color mix will appear different on plastic (the bumper) than metal (the body). Metallic paints help or accentuate the variations.

Manufacturers will try and limit the cross over points as much as possible and also try to not have flush meeting points where substrates change. This helps somewhat hide the visual differences that will naturally occur.

^ true. this is not limited to Lexus. I own and have owned many vehicles and this goes all across the board. colors will appear slightly different depending on the surface, whether it's metal or plastic.