Old 08-15-10, 07:37 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The first oil change is free...
Old 08-15-10, 01:52 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Turn the wheels to the right. Looking from passenger side front wheel (3 o'clock) look toward engine compartment. You will see it there toward middle of the truck. Not the easiest way to get there and change it.
I don't have the GX yet (It's on special order). I just wanted to know were on the engine it is located (left or right side, front or back, top or bottom). Does anything have to be removed? I do know it uses the cartridge type filter. My previous V8 4Runner had the filter located on the bottom in the front of the engine and a skid plate had to be removed.

Koz
Old 08-15-10, 03:18 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
The first oil change is free...
It is free but at 10k miles. Interesting that oil change warning just came up at 5k. Also when I have changed the oil 500 miles back it was completely black. For sure don't wait until 10k. Maybe the oil was black already as it was not synthetic to start with. Check and if it is black, don't wait until 10k.
Old 08-15-10, 03:21 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I don't have the GX yet (It's on special order). I just wanted to know were on the engine it is located (left or right side, front or back, top or bottom). Does anything have to be removed? I do know it uses the cartridge type filter. My previous V8 4Runner had the filter located on the bottom in the front of the engine and a skid plate had to be removed.

Koz
Didn't see a way to access it differently than the way I have described. Not the easiest way and a little messy. Key is to put a towel under neat before unscrewing the filter.
Old 08-31-10, 11:09 AM
sawoolse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the oil filter location. after I take the freebies from the stealer, i'll be changing my own oil with high grade synthetic/blends for about 25k miles. then i'll switch to Royal Purple.

I actually noticed a slight increase in MPG (almost 2MPG HWY) on my 06 GX-470 after switching to Royal Purple.

(No, I do not work for them ;-) )
Old 08-31-10, 02:41 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by sawoolse
Thanks for the info on the oil filter location. after I take the freebies from the stealer, i'll be changing my own oil with high grade synthetic/blends for about 25k miles. then i'll switch to Royal Purple.

I actually noticed a slight increase in MPG (almost 2MPG HWY) on my 06 GX-470 after switching to Royal Purple.

(No, I do not work for them ;-) )
There is no need to wait untill 25K miles. You can use synthetic after the freebe.

Koz
Old 08-31-10, 03:57 PM
Craig B

It comes factory filled with 0W20 full synthetic...
Old 08-31-10, 04:29 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Those who bought their 2010 GX 460 early in the first year of production received this letter. It is not as well written as it could be so I asked the Service Manager at a recent reception at the dealership for new Lexus owners. He explained several details, which the letter does not make clear:

1. The GX 460 is delivered with synthetic motor oil. There is no need to replace the original motor oil with synthetic motor oil.

2. The complimentary 6 month/5,000 mile service will check, but not change the motor oil. In addition, they will rotate the tires, inspect the brakes, etc.

3. The 12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary and the motor oil will be changed ... with synthetic motor oil, as well as the oil filter and other service items will be performed.

In summary, your Lexus dealer needs to see your vehicle every 6 months/5,000 miles, they will replace your motor oil less often, i.e., only every other service and the first two services are complimentary. So, for the first 12 months/10,000 miles it will cost you nothing other than two scheduled service visits to keep your GX 460 in warranty. If your Lexus dealer is like ours, you can have them pick up your vehicle and return it when done or use a loaner if you take your vehicle to the dealership, plus your vehicle will be washed and filled with gas.

After these two services, the cost of service is the owner's responsibility so they could be done at any Lexus dealer, another car service company or by the owner. However, for warranty purposes, keep good records ... especially if you do the service yourself. Which begs the question ... if you do your own service, how do you prove that you did the service ... and when?

Be aware that using conventional motor oil or a grade other than SAE 0W-20 could be construed as a warranty violation. More to the point, if several years from now your GX develops a problem while still under warranty, but the dealer claims the motor oil is "the wrong color" ... well, saving a little money on maintenance may have been false economy!
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion-synthetic-lubricant.jpg  

Last edited by SaniDel; 11-05-10 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 05:34 PM
Craig B

I never received that letter...
Old 09-01-10, 01:48 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

I never received that letter...
This letter was included with an Updated Maintenance Manual, which superseded the manual shipped with the vehicle. Lexus may have needed to do this with the earliest GX 460 units, but later units may have come with the updated manual. Note that the letter was dated March 2010 ... presumably, units produced after that date already had the updated manual and no letter was mailed.

It seems that the decision to 'qualify' the GX 460 for synthetic motor oil was made recently ... late enough in the design process so that the earliest unit required this manual update. Presumably, the early design of the GX 460 did not anticipate the use of synthetic motor oil so the manuals and service intervals were established for conventional motor oil.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-01-10, 02:59 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by SaniDel
This letter was included with an Updated Maintenance Manual, which superseded the manual shipped with the vehicle. Lexus may have needed to do this with the earliest GX 460 units, but later units may have come with the updated manual. Note that the letter was dated March 2010 ... presumably, units produced after that date already had the updated manual and no letter was mailed.

It seems that the decision to 'qualify' the GX 460 for synthetic motor oil was made recently ... late enough in the design process so that the earliest unit required this manual update. Presumably, the early design of the GX 460 did not anticipate the use of synthetic motor oil so the manuals and service intervals were established for conventional motor oil.
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks, I picked mine up Feb. 24th. The oil cap shows 0W20 on it.
Old 09-01-10, 08:28 AM
Koz

Very interesting info, thanks.

I'm a motor oil fanatic and have always used Amsoil 0w-20 and 0w-30 in all my vehicles (Motorcycle - 0w-40).

Koz
Old 09-01-10, 04:12 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Thanks, I picked mine up Feb. 24th. The oil cap shows 0W20 on it.
So does our oil filler cap ... SAE 0W-20. The build date on the driver's door is November 2009 and it arrived at our dealership in late-December although our Date of First Use (DoFU) for warranty purposes is February 9, 2010 ... it took us that long to be sure! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-01-10, 04:42 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by SaniDel
So does our oil filler cap ... SAE 0W-20. The build date on the driver's door is November 2009 and it arrived at our dealership in late-December although our Date of First Use (DoFU) for warranty purposes is February 9, 2010 ... it took us that long to be sure! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks for the info. Mine was built January 2010. I took delivery 2/24/2010.
Old 10-16-10, 05:18 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change

Well, I took my GX in for it's first oil change at 5,000 miles. Just bothered the heck out of me to have to wait till 10,000. Serviceman tried to talk me out of it.

I also took it in at 1,000, not knowing that the process had changed.

I feel better now.

I plan to change the oil in the future at about 7,500 mile intervals.

~ Cap

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion