GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Which tires came on your gx 460
Bridgestones
43.24%
Michelins
56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 12:24 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sudhs
Hmmm.. guess i'll just have to wait for the vehicle to get here. If they have more brand new 2011s (i know they do) with them, I'll ask them to switch the wheel or else the tires. Don't wanna switch the wheels with a demo or already driven car. I know its a silly thing but that just gives me staisfaction on my end. all I'm hoping is that the dealer does not make it a big thing and 1. either not do it at all OR 2. levy a heavy charge on me for something as basic as wheel/tire change.

Per the tirerack.com the LTX MS2 is of lower value than Latitude HP Tour but the former has better reviews than the latter.
There is more than one model of the Latitude. The LTX MS2 is mud and snow rated. The Latitude isn't. Also, you want to go with the highest tread wear rating. The tires will last longer... The OEM Latitude tires are the ones with a much lower tread wear rating. I wouldn't put that same tire back on once they wear out. I will go with the LTX MS2...
Old 10-14-10, 10:46 AM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just talked to the dealer and they said that mine has Michelin on them. So I guess it would be Michelin Latitude Tour XP. I compared them with Michelin LTX MS/2. Tour XP has tread depth of 10/32" and width of 8.5" where MS/2 has tread depth of 12/32" and width of 7.3".. No wonder the Tour XP seems to wear out much faster 'coz of the contact surface area to road being more by 1.2" on the tread rubber and the tread rubber itself being approx 2/32" less than LTX MS/2. But all this comes at a cost of grip to the road. I'm very positive that the Tour XP would have more road-hugging-index as compared to LTX MS/2. Just called Costco tire shop and they sell Tour XP for $265 and LTX MS/2 for $240. I'm not taking sides as to which tire is good or bad, i'm just letting people know the difference between the two. Gotta pick up my vehicle tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-14-10, 11:37 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sudhs
No wonder the Tour XP seems to wear out much faster 'coz of the contact surface area to road being more by 1.2" on the tread rubber and the tread rubber itself being approx 2/32" less than LTX MS/2.
Ahhh ... but what is the Treadwear Rating? On the Michelin Latitude Tour XP tires that came on our vehicle the rating is 440, which means they should last over four times as long as an 'average' tire ... whatever that is.

Whathever Michelin tires you get should be good tires. Let us know which.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-14-10, 02:34 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Ahhh ... but what is the Treadwear Rating? On the Michelin Latitude Tour XP tires that came on our vehicle the rating is 440, which means they should last over four times as long as an 'average' tire ... whatever that is.
The O.E. tire for the GX 460 is the Michelin Lattitude Tour HP. It has a Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG) of 440 A A whereas the Michelin LTX M/S2 has at UTQG of 720 A A.
Old 10-14-10, 05:00 PM
Craig B

There are other Michelin Lattitude tires at tire rack with a higher tread wear rating. Most likely, I will go with the LTX M/S2 when my original Michelin's wear out... The OEM Michelin's have the lowest tread wear rating from looking at Tire Rack as far as Michelin's go.
Old 10-16-10, 07:19 AM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

A'right guys.. picked up my car yesterday.. All looks good. Tires are Michelin Tour XP. These are the only OEMs from Michelin that are factory installed. Lexus does not install any other model of Michelin it seems. So now I've officially joined the Lexus club. Slid under the truck to check out the real thing. The torque converter seems massive and the control arms look solid. The variable suspension machinery could also be seen down below. Things under the hood seem to be well arranged. Lotta covers to remove to get to the real thing but major components like waterpump, thermostat, belts etc.. seem to be in easy reach. Will explore some more and post some pics on the main GX 460 thread. Thanks to all for the tire advice and all the help extended for my new buying.
Old 10-16-10, 12:21 PM
Craig B

Congratulations!

Enjoy...
Old 10-16-10, 03:59 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Enjoy your new vehicle!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 10-17-10, 02:51 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Craig and SD and to all the people who supported with their comments and IMs in all the threads. Pics coming soon.
Old 11-13-10, 07:16 PM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got our 2011 GX Premium last month and it came with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Based on Tirerack.com they are the most expensive of the group. However, expensive doesn't equal the best as I've learned.
Old 11-14-10, 03:43 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GXOwner
Got our 2011 GX Premium last month and it came with Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Based on Tirerack.com they are the most expensive of the group. However, expensive doesn't equal the best as I've learned.
There is a reason the OEM tires are so expensive. The average person will leave the OEM tires on and will like them enough to replace with the same tires. Some people only use the original tires. The OEM tire has the shortest life.

Let’s see, A tire that wears out twice as fast, has less performance in ALL categories (including snow/ice/wet/dry) and cost more!

I will get whatever credit I can and get the LTX2, ASAP.

Koz
Old 11-20-10, 08:27 AM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIne came with the Michelin tour latitudes. I've had these tires before on my '06 Landcruiser, and they have a nice ride, and are ok in snow, but not superb. On my previous '96 Landcruiser I had the LTXs several times and they were a stiff sidewall, high mileage tire, with a truck-like feel. They were also terrific in snow. When the oems wear out, I'm going to the LTXs. I was always disappointed that Micheling didn't make them in the right size for the 100 series Landcruiser, so at costco I was stuck buying the latitude tours.
Old 12-01-10, 10:09 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Took delivery yesterday and it came with the Michelins. Since there is no vibration at any speed I think I will ware these out and then get the LTX2s or whatever proves to be superior.

Koz