GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Which tires came on your gx 460
Bridgestones
43.24%
Michelins
56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 12:20 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Tirerack has the Latitude Tour on the top rating, which one do you guys suggest?
If price is any guide, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ... Tire Rack has them for $249 vs. the Bridgestone Dueler for $165:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe

However, there is more than price to consider. The Michelin's are only recommended for light snow, whereas the Bridgestone's have a more aggressive tread pattern and may be more suitable for winter driving.

Note that Tire Rack lists seven (7) Michelin's for the 2010 GX 460. Presumably, the differences are small, but the prices are not. You may want to consider the following, some of which are priced commensurate with the Bridgestone's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...chelin&tab=All

This begs the question, why would Lexus offer tire choices for the 2010 GX 460 that are so different in price? More to the point ... if given a choice of tires, would anyone choose the Bridgetone's over the Michelin's?
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 08-17-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 02:59 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
If price is any guide, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ... Tire Rack has them for $249 vs. the Bridgestone Dueler for $165:

However, there is more than price to consider. The Michelin's are only recommended for light snow, whereas the Bridgestone's have a more aggressive tread pattern and may be more suitable for winter driving.

Note that Tire Rack lists seven (7) Michelin's for the 2010 GX 460. Presumably, the differences are small, but the prices are not. You may want to consider the following, some of which are priced commensurate with the Bridgestone's:

This begs the question, why would Lexus offer tire choices for the 2010 GX 460 that are so different in price? More to the point ... if given a choice of tires, would anyone choose the Bridgetone's over the Michelin's?
Regards,

Peter
I would go for the Michelin's with the highest tread wear rating. No, I had the Bridgestone Dueller's
on my 2009 BMW X 5 and they were terrible in the snow. I'm a Michelin Man, I don't think the Bridgestone's are even close in quality.

Last edited by Craig B; 08-17-10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 01:09 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Regards,

SaniDel
I live in Las Vegas... so... deep snow is less likely to happen...
I used to like my Bridgestone on IS... but not on SUV, and when I got my car I didn't notice there will be such a difference... sighs
Old 08-22-10, 09:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Regards,

SaniDel
i like most other GXers with the bridgestones feel ripped off. I should of asked the dealer to swap them.

Looks like ive narrowed choice down to Latitude Tour vs LTX M/S2. I will probably go with latitude tour, since there are a heck of a lot more miles reported with a fairly good number rating in all categories. The LTX has few miles reported yet gets a higher rating in ALL categories. The LTX looks like a tire that goes on a semi , or is it just the way i am seeing the tread on the side view?
Old 08-23-10, 09:26 AM
Craig B

If you go with the Latitude's, I would go for the ones with the highest tread wear rating. I had the LTX's on my QX4 and they didn't look like semi tires. They were the old model, not the new model. Ask the rep from tire rack for his opinion. If you drive in deep snow, I would go with the MTX because it's mud and snow rated. Most likely, those are the tires I'm going to put on when mine are worn out.
Old 08-23-10, 09:52 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You should be using higher pressure in these tires, the HPs are max rated for 51psi (44psi for the Bridgestones). 40 psi would be a good starting point and will increase MPG. This is a 5300lbs vehicle.

Koz
Old 08-23-10, 10:02 AM
Koz

Both OEM tires are junk, with the HPs just a little better. I will be putting the LTX m&s2 on ASAP. They have great ratings and seem like something worth trying!

The tires made for Sears are made to Sears specs, they are not the same!

Koz
Old 08-23-10, 10:40 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by Koz
You should be using higher pressure in these tires, the HPs are max rated for 51psi (44psi for the Bridgestones). 40 psi would be a good starting point and will increase MPG. This is a 5300lbs vehicle.

Koz
I'm running 35 PSI in all four tires. I think 40 PSI is too high...
Old 08-23-10, 11:12 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
You should be using higher pressure in these tires, the HPs are max rated for 51psi (44psi for the Bridgestones). 40 psi would be a good starting point and will increase MPG.
Why would we be interested in increasing MPG? Anyone who buys a body-on-frame, V8-powered truck that tips the scale with passengers and cargo at 3+ tons, but worries about MPG, has purchased the wrong vehicle!

Increasing tire pressure by one PSI increases MPG by 0.3% according to:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml

Do the math ... it's not worth anything on a low-mileage vehicle like the GX 460. In exchange for ride harshness, center tread wear, reduced traction and the risk of a road hazard blowout you will save a fraction of a MPG ... maybe one MPG at most.

Sorry, I can buy 93-octane premium for $2.859 per gallon and the price is heading south ... it is not worth my time or money to worry about MPG and certainly not to risk our safety by riding around on dangerously over-inflated tires. Thanks, but no thanks.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-23-10, 04:52 PM
Koz

Why would we be interested in increasing MPG? Anyone who buys a body-on-frame, V8-powered truck that tips the scale with passengers and cargo at 3+ tons, but worries about MPG, has purchased the wrong vehicle!

Increasing tire pressure by one PSI increases MPG by 0.3% according to:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml

Do the math ... it's not worth anything on a low-mileage vehicle like the GX 460. In exchange for ride harshness, center tread wear, reduced traction and the risk of a road hazard blowout you will save a fraction of a MPG ... maybe one MPG at most.

Sorry, I can buy 93-octane premium for $2.859 per gallon and the price is heading south ... it is not worth my time or money to worry about MPG and certainly not to risk our safety by riding around on dangerously over-inflated tires. Thanks, but no thanks.
Regards,

SaniDel
My recommendation to increase tire pressure was not based on saving gas. Better gas mileage is just a fringe benefit. I base my recommendation on past experience with previous mid-sized SUVs, trucks and towing thousands of lbs. The best overall ride will be at the highest pressure you can live with, that is near the max rated pressure. 35psi (In a tire rated for 50psi) on a 3 ton vehicle is never going to give the best ride. Only if you like a soft ride and you do a lot of city driving. Increasing the pressure will improve the steering feel (Especially at low speeds) and tighten the handling on the highway. Of course you have to watch how the tires are wearing. I have never had any abnormal wear using 40psi on a truck.

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 08-23-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 09:29 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i like most other GXers with the bridgestones feel ripped off. I should of asked the dealer to swap them.

Looks like ive narrowed choice down to Latitude Tour vs LTX M/S2. I will probably go with latitude tour, since there are a heck of a lot more miles reported with a fairly good number rating in all categories. The LTX has few miles reported yet gets a higher rating in ALL categories. The LTX looks like a tire that goes on a semi , or is it just the way i am seeing the tread on the side view?
i will go with the Latitudes likely because looks like its a better ride and softer tire than the LTX which ive read makes the ride bumpy and harsh. Unfortunately the Latitudes not rated as high in ice and snow like the LTX.

Why would sears get a differently made michelin tire than one on tirerack?
Old 08-31-10, 11:03 AM
sawoolse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also received the Michelins here in SoCal

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....0&autoModClar=
Old 08-31-10, 07:23 PM
T4Fun
Racer

i am very upset at lexus for putting the bridgestones on. i will be commenting on my disgust with this thru lexus customer service and especially with the survey!
Old 08-31-10, 09:40 PM
bigred88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck still at lexus. they said its a common problem with the gx460. there might be a tsb on this. Not the tires.. something wrong with the steering. 300 miles on my truck and michelin tires. Road force done twice.
Old 09-01-10, 06:37 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by bigred88
My truck still at lexus. they said its a common problem with the gx460. there might be a tsb on this. Not the tires.. something wrong with the steering. 300 miles on my truck and michelin tires. Road force done twice.
did i miss something. what issue with the steering? did you post in another thread previously?

Quick Reply: Which tires came on your gx? R U Changing them?