GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone Seeking a Refund on 2010 GX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 06:43 PM
yrbender
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Yeah~ go get your money back and get a Land Rover or BMW, and spend most of the time in the shop fixing stuff that under warranty, maybe you will think that worth your 70K.

If you will drive a big SUV like the test, I will hope your family never get on the car when your are in the driver seat; the safety concern will be you, the driver, the the car.
Id rather have my Range Rover in the shop and the LR4 loaner than drive that death trap. JK best of luck take those turns slow. Its all BS man you will be fine.
Old 04-25-10, 07:04 AM
McDonough
Rookie

Originally Posted by rajapavin
Hi Folks,

I'm pretty upset at Lexus, I have owned 10 SUV's from Lexus and in Jan, they suggested I buy the new GX as a pre-order without so much as a test drive - I did so out of trust for the brand and my local Lexus dealer filled their sales pipeline with me as their "first" customer.

In any case I now have a 70K truck sitting in my driveway which I havent driven for 30+ days (I was away on business). it has NO mileage and I want my money back after this awful safety press. I'm not putting my family in a SUV with a safety record I can no longer trust, in a brand I no longer trust.

I find this situation seriously disturbing. Not because the Consumer Reports test was right or wrong, Iv'e heard others argue that the test was at 90MPH blah blah, but because this car is an ASSET for most of us non leasers - and Lexus just turned this vehicle into a very fast depreciating asset. This SUV is going to depreciate like a friggin rock.

Now is the time to act, if we can get some collective intelligence on how to deal with this - it may help our whole community of buyers.

Can anyone guide us here? Please post any specific experience with this. I have a call into my lawyer about this.

Good luck folks - please keep us posted on your specific experiences..

PS if any of you 2010 GX owners are in the New England area, PM me and lets chat about the local situation and how we may help each other..

Cheers,

RP
Drama Queen alert..
Old 04-26-10, 11:01 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctrom
DId they ever figure out your clunking sound? I just purchased an 07 gx470 and when i come to a stop.. feels like someone tapped me from behind a few seconds later which makes a clunk sound. Took it back to MIllers dealership where i purchased it and advised them of this, they said, they checked it out and see nothing wrong. Course that was when it was under the 50k warranty now it is not!

ANyone have this terrible clunking sound? Did any of your mechanics figure it out! THey brag about how wonderful their mechanics are... Why can't they figure it out? THey can hear it and still say nothing wrong?? First time for buying a lexus, Maybe my last! Please Help!!
Go to the First Generation GX board - there is a sticky on the "clunk" issue. The dealer should know about it and know the fix.
Old 04-28-10, 07:47 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rajapavin
Hi Folks,

I'm pretty upset at Lexus, I have owned 10 SUV's from Lexus and in Jan, they suggested I buy the new GX as a pre-order without so much as a test drive - I did so out of trust for the brand and my local Lexus dealer filled their sales pipeline with me as their "first" customer.

In any case I now have a 70K truck sitting in my driveway which I havent driven for 30+ days (I was away on business). it has NO mileage and I want my money back after this awful safety press. I'm not putting my family in a SUV with a safety record I can no longer trust, in a brand I no longer trust.

I find this situation seriously disturbing. Not because the Consumer Reports test was right or wrong, Iv'e heard others argue that the test was at 90MPH blah blah, but because this car is an ASSET for most of us non leasers - and Lexus just turned this vehicle into a very fast depreciating asset. This SUV is going to depreciate like a friggin rock.

Now is the time to act, if we can get some collective intelligence on how to deal with this - it may help our whole community of buyers.

Can anyone guide us here? Please post any specific experience with this. I have a call into my lawyer about this.

Good luck folks - please keep us posted on your specific experiences..

PS if any of you 2010 GX owners are in the New England area, PM me and lets chat about the local situation and how we may help each other..

Cheers,

RP
To consider your GX460 an asset, imo, is silly. Cars are not assets unless you're talking about something like a Lamborghini Muira or something like that. A commonplace car like a gx460 is not an asset as it drops about 20 to 30% right after you signed on the dotted line and drove it off the lot.

As far as the test is concerned, I'm not doubting what happened in the test but the truth of the matter is, most people, say 99% of people driving these trucks will never encounter a situation such as the one from the test in normal everyday driving.

Also, it seems that Lexus will simply need to adjust the calibration of their vsc/vdim to catch the oversteer quicker. That should be an easy reflash.

The bottom line, these are not sports car and obviously can't be driven and expected to handle like sports car. these are high off the ground trucks with high profile tires that require a little more finese to handle emergency or extreme maneuvers at high speeds.

Lexus will not give you anything and shouldn't give you anything. These are great trucks..plain and simple.

The only thing that Lexus should give is probably a slap across the head to the team of engineers that failed to discover this situation during test.
Old 04-28-10, 08:27 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
To consider your GX460 an asset, imo, is silly. Cars are not assets unless you're talking about something like a Lamborghini Muira or something like that. A commonplace car like a gx460 is not an asset as it drops about 20 to 30% right after you signed on the dotted line and drove it off the lot.

The only thing that Lexus should give is probably a slap across the head to the team of engineers that failed to discover this situation during test.
Well said.........
Old 04-28-10, 12:22 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Time to end this thread. The fix is in place. Lexus came to pick my truck from home and left me a loaner and came back couple hours later with software patch applied, full tank of gas and freshly cleaned.

Get your software patch. No reason to complain anymore.
Old 04-28-10, 12:49 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Time to end this thread. The fix is in place. Lexus came to pick my truck from home and left me a loaner and came back couple hours later with software patch applied, full tank of gas and freshly cleaned.

Glad to hear that this is now being fixed as I assumed it would have just been a reflash to make the necessary adjustments to the skid control system.

as for rajapavin being upset and worried about driving the truck. I'd say that you should be more worried about the other millions of vehicles on the road that doesn't have the skid control system at all that are driving on next to bald tires who just turned 16 that just came from a bar that is driving 80 miles an hour while it's raining....hopefully, you get the picture. these are the REAL everyday dangers that we all face whereas this situation was with the GX460 was a controlled test of a particular driving situation that, like I said, 99% of people will never expereince in normal everyday driving.

good luck with pressing the issue but I don't believe you're going to get anywhere except for Lexus corp telling you to go F yourself.
Old 04-28-10, 01:53 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luke27617

Wow!! That's good service!! I don't know how Lexus Canada will deal with this, as I haven't received a letter yet. My feeling is that here the dealers will just treat this like any other recall; fix it if you want to, but we won't hurry you to come in.
Old 04-28-10, 01:57 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
Wow!! That's good service!! I don't know how Lexus Canada will deal with this, as I haven't received a letter yet. My feeling is that here the dealers will just treat this like any other recall; fix it if you want to, but we won't hurry you to come in.
I have not received a letter yet as well, but the local dealer made sure we are aware what is going on and that we are happy. 5-Star Service.
Old 04-28-10, 03:01 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Both of my dealers called me today to say they had the software fix. Selling dealer and the dealer closer to my home. It only takes 15-20 minutes, but I live 120 miles each direction from the dealership...
Old 04-28-10, 06:11 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Both of my dealers called me today to say they had the software fix. Selling dealer and the dealer closer to my home. It only takes 15-20 minutes, but I live 120 miles each direction from the dealership...
Only got one dealer in Vegas, and they are coming to my house to fix it ~ but I'm planning to drop off the car tomorrow for alignment
Old 04-29-10, 03:01 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Only got one dealer in Vegas, and they are coming to my house to fix it ~ but I'm planning to drop off the car tomorrow for alignment
My alignment was off when I took delivery. I turned around and went back to the dealership to have them do an alignment.
Old 04-29-10, 06:06 AM
bturkel1@v
Driver

No fix for me - GX gone - back into a 2010 LS460 Sport - you can have the truck -
Old 04-29-10, 07:46 AM
zpaul
Driver School Candidate

If you noticed the drift occurs only if you drop the gas and turn the steering wheel without applying the breaks?!?!. So if you do the same thing the CR did and apply the breaks all the nannies will kick in!
So where is the problem? My first instinct would be to apply the breaks before I start drifting this awesome machine
For those who still afraid the fix will be in shortly. I plan to keep GX460 for a while, so do not see any concerns to panic.
Check reliability index on Edmunds. Who is ahead of Toyota products? Toyota products are still way more reliable that Gov motors andRrange Rovers.
I think it was just a convenient excuse to get out of GX into a nice LS sport. I would feed the same BS to my wife if I wanted to get one of those

Last edited by zpaul; 04-29-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 08:47 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you got what you wanted in the 1st place. I on the other hand cannot wait to get my truck Good Luck!

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
No fix for me - GX gone - back into a 2010 LS460 Sport - you can have the truck -

Quick Reply: Anyone Seeking a Refund on 2010 GX?