GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Old 07-20-15, 12:16 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

VERY minimal. Please view this link:

http://www.xenondepot.com/camry-led-...eview-s/50.htm

Steve
Old 07-20-15, 01:06 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Hi,

VERY minimal. Please view this link:

http://www.xenondepot.com/camry-led-...eview-s/50.htm

Steve
While I am far from an expert on LED's I've noticed the lights you are selling are 2500 lumens ea and the ones I have already purchased are 3200 lumens each. I would assume 3200 lumens are brighter than 2500 lumens, correct?
Old 07-22-15, 12:54 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
^^^ LEDs returned and finally got around to placing a bid on a set of COBs today.
Tecman...
Did you get a chance to install & test out the COB LEDs yet?
Old 07-22-15, 01:25 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I do like the look, and I do like the output but all in all the PIAA halogens were brighter at night. I did not like the yellowish color of them and that's why I wanted the LED's. I was not looking for only color and luxurious "Look", I wanted a brighter bulb as I do a lot of night driving in the country with a lot of deer who like to run out on front of me so light output is more important to me than light look.
Your PIAA halogen bulbs are 60W compared to the COB LEDs at 40W so they might be slightly brighter bc of the yellowish color.

You gotta admit that operating 20W lesser on 2 tiny chip on boards that they are still bright. Be sure you aligned the COB LEDs correctly to maximize the full light projection inside the reflective headlight housing.

Have you thought about changing the stock headlights and fog lights to enhance your
night time cross country driving?

I would recommend 5000K D4S for your head lights & 5-6K H11 HID kit with ballasts for your fog lights. You can also adjust the fog lights housing to aim the light projection a little farther. Because the fog light lens doesn't project the light very far, the Fog HID kit will blend the light with the headlights for a brighter visibility.
Old 07-22-15, 01:33 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

I do like the look, and I do like the output but all in all the PIAA halogens were brighter at night. I did not like the yellowish color of them and that's why I wanted the LED's. I was not looking for only color and luxurious "Look", I wanted a brighter bulb as I do a lot of night driving in the country with a lot of deer who like to run out on front of me so light output is more important to me than light look.
Or you can install a bull bar in addition to the two lights for more light output...

Old 07-22-15, 06:54 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
Your PIAA halogen bulbs are 60W compared to the COB LEDs at 40W so they might be slightly brighter bc of the yellowish color.

You gotta admit that operating 20W lesser on 2 tiny chip on boards that they are still bright. Be sure you aligned the COB LEDs correctly to maximize the full light projection inside the reflective headlight housing.

Have you thought about changing the stock headlights and fog lights to enhance your
night time cross country driving?

I would recommend 5000K D4S for your head lights & 5-6K H11 HID kit with ballasts for your fog lights. You can also adjust the fog lights housing to aim the light projection a little farther. Because the fog light lens doesn't project the light very far, the Fog HID kit will blend the light with the headlights for a brighter visibility.
They are a nice bulb, no doubt, work well but you know what I'm trying to accomplish. Until a brighter, higher lumen bulb comes out they will stay.

I have already changed my headlights to the Phillips 5K D4S and my fogs to 5K HID's but I have not tried changing the aiming of the fogs, I'll look in to that over the weekend maybe.

I've run bull / push bars in the past and I just don't like the look on the GX.

Thanks
Old 07-22-15, 07:53 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

@Eppieguy : More lumens does not always translate to brighter/better for several reasons:

(1) If the bulb is not designed properly, or the light is not going where it needs to go then having more lumens just causes more glare.

(2) You're assuming that every vendor accurately rates how many lumens the bulbs put out.

XenonDepot LED headlight bulbs are not going to be the "brightest" LED headlight bulbs available in the market. The goal was to offer customers an LED headlight bulb that provided more lumens then stock, WITHOUT the use of an external fan (that will fail), or a massive heatsink on the back which can cause fitment problems in some vehicles.

Steve
Old 07-22-15, 10:52 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

They are a nice bulb, no doubt, work well but you know what I'm trying to accomplish. Until a brighter, higher lumen bulb comes out they will stay.

I have already changed my headlights to the Phillips 5K D4S and my fogs to 5K HID's but I have not tried changing the aiming of the fogs, I'll look in to that over the weekend maybe.

I've run bull / push bars in the past and I just don't like the look on the GX.

Thanks
Don't forget to check the alignment on your COB LEDs.

The fog lights are easy to remove- just one screw on the top corner. Once taken off, there is a screw underneath for the adjustment. Use a white wall or your garage door to aim your fog lights.
Old 07-22-15, 04:11 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
Tecman...
Did you get a chance to install & test out the COB LEDs yet?
Yes, at least I can tell a difference between high and DRL with these LEDs. The returned LEDs showed no difference. I can't get away from street lights and oncoming cars in my area so high is not an option for me.

Same price and the option for high beam output if needed
Old 07-27-15, 09:17 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a set of LED 9005 for my high beams and DRL's and they are amazing! Super bright, and it gives my truck a different look. For me it was a definite win!
Old 07-28-15, 06:47 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I just got a set of LED 9005 for my high beams and DRL's and they are amazing! Super bright, and it gives my truck a different look. For me it was a definite win!
Did you get the COB LEDs 9005 that I recommended to everyone?
Old 08-04-15, 08:26 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

These are the ones I purchased from xenon depot

Old 08-05-15, 08:16 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MickeyS
These are the ones I purchased from xenon depot

Glad you're enjoying the XenonDepot 9005 LED headlight bulbs.

Steve
Old 08-24-15, 12:44 PM
knownbliss
Driver School Candidate

great info! thanks
Old 02-16-16, 07:35 PM
pikenp
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered these from XenonDepot and they came in quick....
These are the ones I got for 2016 GX 460
http://www.xenondepot.com/H9-LED-hea.../h9-led-hl.htm

Definitely looks nicer...didn't notice any flickering and now the High beam lights match rest of the lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!