GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 06:21 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
^^^ yeah, I was thinking about that when I did not see any difference between DRL and high beams. I rarely get the chance to use high so I will probably stick with them for the nice white DRL.

Can you return them or are they in the garbage now?
Tecman
Can you return your DRL LEDs? Just request a RMA # and you probably incur 10% restocking fee.
Use the difference to purchase the COB LEDs- you will definitely be satisfied with them! Hi-beam mode will function.
Old 06-21-15, 06:39 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ yeah, I was thinking about that when I did not see any difference between DRL and high beams. I rarely get the chance to use high so I will probably stick with them for the nice white DRL.

Can you return them or are they in the garbage now?
It was a ebay purchase, probably could but probably won't. I just need to find a better LED bulb. I had a set once that did ok for the high beam but the light output was very odd at night, not focused at all. Back to looking for a good LED bulb once again.
Old 06-21-15, 11:15 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
It was a ebay purchase, probably could but probably won't. I just need to find a better LED bulb. I had a set once that did ok for the high beam but the light output was very odd at night, not focused at all. Back to looking for a good LED bulb once again.
You don't have to search anymore. Take my advice, I researched and tested out a dozen LED lights. The COB LEDs outperform the majority of them. Do you need a link to purchase them? Price is around $80.
Old 06-21-15, 04:33 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

RMA request submitted this morning. Why not have the high beam option, my remark for return was "no high beam, only good for DRL".

I don't recall what packaging it came in, but I think it was simple. Hopefully no complications with the return.

Eppieguy,
Why eat the $, send it back. It is labeled "high beam DRL"... Give me a high beam for DRL, but don't give me a low output for both.

Semantics

Old 06-21-15, 06:53 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
You don't have to search anymore. Take my advice, I researched and tested out a dozen LED lights. The COB LEDs outperform the majority of them. Do you need a link to purchase them? Price is around $80.
I'm game, link me please.
Old 06-26-15, 09:10 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Sorry for the late response...
Here's the link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171835858788?nav=SEARCH

Search for US sellers and avoid Hong Kong and overseas sellers due to shipping timeframe and warranty issues.

There is a US Seller starting the price @ $67 if you're lucky to win the auction. Save $13 if you have a few days to wait.
Link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171835858788?nav=SEARCH

Old 06-26-15, 09:16 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Make sure to specify 9005 COB LEDs with your order. Let me know how you like them once installed.

Old 06-27-15, 07:03 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Make sure to specify 9005 COB LEDs with your order. Let me know how you like them once installed.
Yes. Please update us on your opinion of the lights. Let us know if others on the road are high-beaming you due to the extreme brightness, etc. I might be interested in upgrading my lights as well. Ugh, the things we do for vanity...
Old 06-27-15, 07:55 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Ok, so here's the next question, I see they are the equivalent to a 40w bulb if I'm reading it correctly, I'm currently running PIAA 60w bulbs. I guess they will not be as bright as my PIAA bulbs or are the LED's a higher performing light at less wattage? Thoughts?
Old 06-27-15, 08:10 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Ok, so here's the next question, I see they are the equivalent to a 40w bulb if I'm reading it correctly, I'm currently running PIAA 60w bulbs. I guess they will not be as bright as my PIAA bulbs or are the LED's a higher performing light at less wattage? Thoughts?
Please post an image of your PIAA 60W bulbs. Are they halogen bulbs???Personally, I have seen some halogen bulbs using 100W but I wouldn't recommend them bc the bulbs run hotter and tend to melt the headlight housing or create future headlight condensation issues.

Of course, the COB LEDs are high powered light panels using just 40W (save energy & longer lifespan) and producing 3200 lumens- brightness (don't know the lumens on your halogen bulbs but brighter than the majority of HID kits using ballasts). I only compared lumens not watts.

I have been using them in my GX460 for over 2 years and I'm extremely satisfied with them- no major concerns. Like I said in another post, I tested a dozen light sets before deciding on the COB LEDs. In DRL mode, the COB LEDs use less power to light up the light panels. The low beam mode is not available in the GX460. The high beam mode is extremely bright. I was skeptical at first on the brightness of the 2 small light panels but testing them @ night certainly surprise me. They projected a 6000K Xenon HID white color for an exotic and stylish look compared to the yellow stock halogen bulbs. Check out my images from a previous reply.

As for other drivers on the road, they don't high beamed you unless you constantly use the high beam mode. Believe me they are extremely bright. You can return them to the Sellers if you are unsatisfied.

My goal was to match the similar color output of my MTEC HID D4S bulbs, side marker bulbs, COB LEDs, Phillips Daylight 8 DRLs, and HID Fog lights. Although they doesn't match exactly, I am pleased with the similar color output of all of them. No yellow color!!!

Last edited by GX460PREM; 06-27-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 09:04 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

L
Please post an image of your PIAA 60W bulbs. Are they halogen bulbs???Personally, I have seen some halogen bulbs using 100W but I wouldn't recommend them bc the bulbs are hotter and tend to melt the headlight housing or create future headlight condensation issues.

Of course, the COB LEDs are high powered light panels using just 40W (save energy & last longer) and producing 3200 lumens- brightness (don't know the lumens on your halogen bulbs but brighter than the majority of HID kits using ballasts). I only compared lumens not watts.

I have been using them in my GX460 for over 2 years and I'm extremely satisfied with them. Like I said in another post, I tested a dozen sets before deciding on the COB LEDs. In DRL mode, the COB LEDs use less power to light up the light panels. The low beam mode is not available in the GX460. The high beam mode is extremely bright. I was skeptical at first on the brightness of the small light panels but testing them @ night surprise me. They projected a 6000K Xenon HID white color for an exotic look compared to the yellow stock halogen bulbs.

As for other drivers on the road, they don't high beamed you unless you constantly use the high beam mode. Believe me they are extremely bright.

My goal was to match the color output of my HID
I'm not doubting anything you say, I'm just trying to learn the differences of halogen compared to LED when it comes to wattage. I guess I need to find a chart of some type that compares wattage to lumens. My PIAA lights are shot and look nasty but still are super bright at night. I'll be buying the lights you suggested and I'm looking forward to seeing them since I hate the yellow DRL lights so much that I just turn them off.
Attached Thumbnails Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!-image.jpg  
Old 06-27-15, 09:30 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

L

I'm not doubting anything you say, I'm just trying to learn the differences of halogen compared to LED when it comes to wattage. I guess I need to find a chart of some type that compares wattage to lumens. My PIAA lights are shot and look nasty but still are super bright at night. I'll be buying the lights you suggested and I'm looking forward to seeing them since I hate the yellow DRL lights so much that I just turn them off.
Please review previous reply for edited changes.

Wattage is basically power consumed. Halogen bulbs are "out of dated" bulbs and LED bulbs are the "modern" versions. With technology improving, they can outperform & outlast the halogen bulbs and use less wattage which help your battery and alternator last longer too!!!

Kinda of like these days, all the newer technology from cars to tvs are using LEDs.

By the way, LED bulbs don't melt like your PIAA halogen bulbs.
Old 06-27-15, 09:47 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

RMA request submitted this morning. Why not have the high beam option, my remark for return was "no high beam, only good for DRL".

I don't recall what packaging it came in, but I think it was simple. Hopefully no complications with the return.

Eppieguy,
Why eat the $, send it back. It is labeled "high beam DRL"... Give me a high beam for DRL, but don't give me a low output for both.

Semantics

Tecman...
I see you r MIA!
R u onboard with the COB LEDs?

Also, give me an update on your quad exhaust system (from another reply).
Old 06-27-15, 11:13 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I am waiting for approval for the return. I m not really concerned with highbeam so if they dispute the return I will just keep these

The above is my reply to the below email.

because no matter how bright the LED bulbs are, it may not be as bright as your stock high beam bulbs

The exhaust system

Built by an idiot at a Meineke shop.

Partially rebuilt by another Meineke shop to fix the uneven look from the rear and to get the chrome tips OFF of the painted bumper and they were sticking out to far.

I returned to the last shop when I noticed the pipes would shift. I was informed that the brackets were in the wrong place so I paid to have that done.

I now sometimes have a rattle when stopped and in gear. Oh and I have had it for along time and thought it was probably there when I bought the truck, if I hit a bump hard there is a loud clunk from the rear (it took a while for me to consider it being the exhaust).

$350 install
$196 pipe repair
$134 bracket/hanger repair

$680 invested and it rattles and clunks if I hit a bump and I lost my spare.

Last edited by tecman; 06-27-15 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 01:22 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

They approved my return, they are going back on Minday

Quick Reply: Official 2nd Gen GX Modification (DIY) Thread!!