Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 12:45 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two months long impressions

Hi, Everyone!

I bought my GX in January.
I would like to share with you my impression about my GX 460 Premium.
Well, I really impressed! But..

1.Rear trunk area with 3rd row seats folded might be a little bit larger. Plastic panels easily can be scratched by about everything. They made of really soft plastic. Carpet upholstery on the sides would really help.
2.Be careful when exiting/entering vehicle. Doors’ plastic panels, also plastic under glove box, and where pedals are, very soft as well. Scratches appear even because of slight touch of tennis shoes, leather bag zipper, etc. I moved front passenger seat max rearwards and warned my wife.
3.Keep your windows closed. Especially rear ones. I have driven for some time with open windows and noticed black dirty spots on both sides, and they are on very light headliner. The places where spots are: near seat belt, and above the rear window on both sides. May be, it’s my bad luck.
4.And eventually, I installed Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Very satisfied!!! It’s the only tire available with Michelin for 265/60-18 and speed rating H. Michelin assured me, and I hope that it will be adequate for High Sierra area (California). With these tires truck runs like , I mean close to sedan. It also produces not much noise then sedan.

That is all, for now.
Old 03-20-10, 12:58 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident
Hi, Everyone!

I bought my GX in January.
I would like to share with you my impression about my GX 460 Premium.
Well, I really impressed! But..

1.Rear trunk area with 3rd row seats folded might be a little bit larger. Plastic panels easily can be scratched by about everything. They made of really soft plastic. Carpet upholstery on the sides would really help.
2.Be careful when exiting/entering vehicle. Doors’ plastic panels, also plastic under glove box, and where pedals are, very soft as well. Scratches appear even because of slight touch of tennis shoes, leather bag zipper, etc. I moved front passenger seat max rearwards and warned my wife.
3.Keep your windows closed. Especially rear ones. I have driven for some time with open windows and noticed black dirty spots on both sides, and they are on very light headliner. The places where spots are: near seat belt, and above the rear window on both sides. May be, it’s my bad luck.
4.And eventually, I installed Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Very satisfied!!! It’s the only tire available with Michelin for 265/60-18 and speed rating H. Michelin assured me, and I hope that it will be adequate for High Sierra area (California). With these tires truck runs like , I mean close to sedan. It also produces not much noise then sedan.

That is all, for now.
Black spot on headliner will just need to clean it off with Windex if you see it.
And cargo space... that's why I always keep the 3rd row seat fold down lol
Old 03-20-10, 01:22 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! That's what I already did, Windex. Regarding, cargo space, I meant with 3rd row already folded. This morning on car wash, I compared it with ACURA MDX. GX is respectively big truck. But Acura has more space for, let say, kids and beach, camping stuff. Unless you travel only two and fold the second row...
Old 03-20-10, 02:56 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! That's what I already did, Windex. Regarding, cargo space, I meant with 3rd row already folded. This morning on car wash, I compared it with ACURA MDX. GX is respectively big truck. But Acura has more space for, let say, kids and beach, camping stuff. Unless you travel only two and fold the second row...
That's the downside of a truck based SUV compared to a car based CUV
Old 03-20-10, 06:34 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And eventually, I installed Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Very satisfied!!! It’s the only tire available with Michelin for 265/60-18 and speed rating H. Michelin assured me, and I hope that it will be adequate for High Sierra area (California). With these tires truck runs like , I mean close to sedan. It also produces not much noise then sedan.

That is all, for now.
Are you saying you changed your tires to Michelin Latitude Tour HP's? My GX came with these from the factory.

If you changed them, what were your original tires, and how long did you have them?
Old 03-20-10, 10:09 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just a week, but here are first few impressions

I just had the track for a week and have noticed some things:
BAD
1. Agree with earlier post, that plastics are soft and cheap.
2. Passenger and 2nd row seat vibrate over uneven road
3. Hood is made from a thin metal. It vibrates at highway speeds (look at middle section). Wonder if this will have an impact on any thing with paint or hood itself
4. Black cheap seatbelts (completely don't fit the interior)
5. Feel light vibrations from engine when accelrating in the gas pedal and steering wheel
GOOD
1. Handling when corneing is great (thanks to KDSS)
2. Navigation a great improvement overr Gen 5 (can anyone tell if there is a way to upload songs to the hard drive and play from it?)
3. Seats are great (also cool and heat very well) - a huge improvement from my 08 GS350
4. Remote start included is very nice
5. 100% build in Japan (hopefully no quality issues we see with American build Toyotas.
BETWEEN
The truck doesn't feel as luxuries as the previous GX470 (Lexus doing cost cutting in visible places like cheap plastics to supposly make it more modern). I like the modern look which is a plus, but Lexus use chrome finish or something. If you take a look at the new 4Runner, the plastic around dash is identical including the color. In quality the new GX460 reminds the 06 4Runner I had (maybe nicer leather). Since the new 4Runner looks really cheap comparing to the previous 4runner inside, we can call the GX460 an nice upgrade.
Old 03-20-10, 11:23 PM
ybing
Intermediate

I wipe down every part that feet will step at every time if some one seat at the back 2 rows, even I have black interior, that is my way to keep it clean

I don't have problem with black seat belt, match my interior and I do prefer black, my IS was light color, and when it get old, dirt will get on it and make it worse

The seat will always vibrate a little if you made a car seat to fold down, as long as it don't make rattle, I can live with that

I will say the best seating will be 6 people in the car, 2+2+2, although the two person at the 3rd row have to be really small, the biggest problem is if someone seat in the 2nd row middle seat, it will just block that rear mirror completely, unless he/she is a kid, anyone tall as 5 feet will block everything, annoying...
Old 03-21-10, 08:57 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
I wipe down every part that feet will step at every time if some one seat at the back 2 rows, even I have black interior, that is my way to keep it clean

I don't have problem with black seat belt, match my interior and I do prefer black, my IS was light color, and when it get old, dirt will get on it and make it worse
Yes, the sepia is the only interior where the seatbelt color does not match the leather. Don't know why they did that.

What do you use to wipe down the interior of your car?
Old 03-21-10, 01:50 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antonio98
Yes, the sepia is the only interior where the seatbelt color does not match the leather. Don't know why they did that.

Windex, it works on plastic part, headliner, wheels, everything, although it will work on leather too, but not suggest apply Windex on leather, once awhile will be fine, but don't do that often, leather need special cleaning stuff
Old 03-21-10, 03:03 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Baby wipes rock.
Old 03-21-10, 07:59 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

The original tires where Dueler HT 840. I had them for 2 weeks. Now I stuck with them, trying to sell.
As for dark spots on headliner above rear windows, I believe, they caused by black dust out of ventilation ducts. I m not sure, but will be watching. If this what I think, then this is the issue with ventilation system. I have never had black dust at these places, close to vent. duct in any of my cars. I doubt it caused by open windows.
Old 03-21-10, 08:02 PM
ybing
Intermediate

The original tires where Dueler HT 840. I had them for 2 weeks. Now I stuck with them, trying to sell.
As for dark spots on headliner above rear windows, I believe, they caused by black dust out of ventilation ducts. I m not sure, but will be watching. If this what I think, then this is the issue with ventilation system. I have never had black dust at these places, close to vent. duct in any of my cars. I doubt it caused by open windows.
My black spots are not close to the vent, they appear around the passenger seat belt area
Old 03-21-10, 08:09 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Are you saying you changed your tires to Michelin Latitude Tour HP's? My GX came with these from the factory.

If you changed them, what were your original tires, and how long did you have them?

Do you think Michelin will be adequate for NC winter?
Old 03-21-10, 08:16 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

You can not upload songs to the hard drive. But I Phone is controlled perfectly through USB port. Address book synhronizes easily as well
Old 03-21-10, 08:46 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ybing
My black spots are not close to the vent, they appear around the passenger seat belt area
I also had them near seat belt assemby. After I looked at opposite side (behind driver above rear window) and noticed black dust over there as well

Quick Reply: Two months long impressions