GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Barn Door, or Lift Gate?
Barn Door
25.42%
Lift Gate
74.58%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Barn Door or Lift Gate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 02:06 PM
wannaGX
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=ybing;5321559]I don't know how big you guys garage are... but my garage will be impossible to load stuff even the GX have a lift gate, there just not enough room at the rear to my garage door. Even RX will be very difficult to open the gate in my garage, aren't you usually loading stuff when you prepare to go out or come home with the garage open????

QUOTE]

Like they say, everything's bigger in Texas. . . .
Old 03-17-10, 03:18 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
I don't know how big you guys garage are... but my garage will be impossible to load stuff even the GX have a lift gate, there just not enough room at the rear to my garage door. Even RX will be very difficult to open the gate in my garage, aren't you usually loading stuff when you prepare to go out or come home with the garage open????

And I think sometimes barn door will be easier loading stuff in very tight street, well if you have small stuff you don't need to open it fully which use less space than lift gate since it will have to do a full swing no matter what, if it is really tight, there is no way you can swing it open either~
I have no problem with the RX330 and the garage door. I can open the liftgate with the garage door open or closed. The power liftgate opens almost straight up with not much rear clearance needed. It wasn't that way when I tried to put the GX470 in on a test drive. Maybe my problem with the GX460 motor has something to do with my RX330. In less than 2 years Lexus upgraded the motor to the 350. I would be very upset if I got a GX and then they up the motor to 340hp or so.

What might not come across in my posts is that I really like the GX and want to get one. I love the interior. I'm just afraid that I will not be able to deal with the swing gate, and the engine seems weak to me especially for the price.

Last edited by dgsvt; 03-17-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 04:20 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
I have no problem with the RX330 and the garage door. I can open the liftgate with the garage door open or closed. The power liftgate opens almost straight up with not much rear clearance needed. It wasn't that way when I tried to put the GX470 in on a test drive. Maybe my problem with the GX460 motor has something to do with my RX330. In less than 2 years Lexus upgraded the motor to the 350. I would be very upset if I got a GX and then they up the motor to 340 or so.

What might not come across in my posts is that I really like the GX and want to get one. I love the interior. I'm just afraid that I will not be able to deal with the swing gate, and the engine seems weak to me especially for the price.
Well... this topic had been talking for long time in the forum... from my everyday driving, the engine has enough power, I'm not sure if they will come out a bigger engine or not, but probably not within a year or two. Some people say there maybe a Sport version with 5.0 liter, but that just a rumor, never confirm.
Old 03-17-10, 05:39 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The engine has plenty of power, but the brakes are underpowered. They should have used an 8 speed transmission like the one in my LS 460 for better fuel mileage...

Last edited by Craig B; 03-17-10 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 05:53 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craig B
The engine has plenty of power, but the brakes are underpowered. They should have used an 8 speed transmission like the one in my LS 460 for better fuel mileage...
Then will thank you for another few K please LOL~ It will be strange to have a 8 gear on SUV
Old 03-18-10, 06:35 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Then will thank you for another few K please LOL~ It will be strange to have a 8 gear on SUV
BMW is going to an 8 speed transmission in the X5 for 2011. Lexus should have been ahead of BMW...
Old 03-18-10, 07:51 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craig B
BMW is going to an 8 speed transmission in the X5 for 2011. Lexus should have been ahead of BMW...
Still no one will be interested on those half off road and half on road car LOL
Old 03-20-10, 05:57 PM
dgsvt
Driver

8 speeds in an X5... I remember when people (BMW fans) were making fun of Lexus for the 8-speed in the LS and IS-F
Old 03-20-10, 08:16 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand using an 8-speed in sedans and sports cars, but a SUV? Isn't a sport-ute an alternative to station wagons and minivans?
Old 03-20-10, 11:25 PM
ybing
Intermediate

8 speed will make the gear ratio even closer, not really good for a SUV that want to off road... and a ratio that is too close won't help gas either
Old 03-22-10, 01:02 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Why would they put an 8-speed in a car (fuel econ / accel)... I'm sure it's the same reason that BMW is now putting one in the X5... accel and fuel econ. Not sure why it would be bad for off road as the transmission would be programmed to be in the best gear for a given driving condition. I've read that the Lexus 8-speed trans is lighter than the outgoing 6-speed. So weight savings could be another plus.
Old 04-15-10, 06:39 PM
dgsvt
Driver

There are only 29 people with an opinion about the swing gate... I would have thought this topic would get a greater response.
Old 04-15-10, 09:12 PM
ybing
Intermediate

There are only 29 people with an opinion about the swing gate... I would have thought this topic would get a greater response.
Maybe there are only that many people have a GX here lol~ since its stop selling now~
Old 04-23-10, 04:28 AM
dgsvt
Driver

I guess the GX forum isn't as popular as say the IS forum. I still thought more people would weigh in on the swing gate vs the liftgate.
Old 04-23-10, 07:37 PM
ybing
Intermediate

I guess the GX forum isn't as popular as say the IS forum. I still thought more people would weigh in on the swing gate vs the liftgate.
You are right, Lexus won't expect a huge sales on GX either, not like the RX

Quick Reply: Barn Door or Lift Gate?