GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Why the side-swinging rear door?

Old 04-13-10, 02:41 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jineration
Okay here is the real reason why the GX has the barn door is mainly because of the head room if you look at it. Since all of you are comparing it to all the other SUVs its has a third row seat considering the size of this suv if it has the lift up hatch the hinges for the top and the automatic motor for the litfting and closing would interfere with the people who sit in the last row.....Just imagine how your neck would be if the RX had a third row seat in it. So since the GX has the hinges on the side this allows more headroom for the people in the last row...I only know this cause i asked the same question that yall are asking to the lexus representive that came to a dealership to unviel and answer any question that we had about the newly designed GX.. i know that the LX has a third row and a lift gate too but it is sooo much bigger then the GX.... i hope that his answers this threads question
Makes complete sense to me. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 04-13-10, 02:44 PM
jineration
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
Makes complete sense to me. Thank you for clarifying.
sweet glad i could help and i hope your not being sarcastic
Old 04-15-10, 06:36 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Originally Posted by jineration
Okay here is the real reason why the GX has the barn door is mainly because of the head room if you look at it. Since all of you are comparing it to all the other SUVs its has a third row seat considering the size of this suv if it has the lift up hatch the hinges for the top and the automatic motor for the litfting and closing would interfere with the people who sit in the last row.....Just imagine how your neck would be if the RX had a third row seat in it. So since the GX has the hinges on the side this allows more headroom for the people in the last row...I only know this cause i asked the same question that yall are asking to the lexus representive that came to a dealership to unviel and answer any question that we had about the newly designed GX.. i know that the LX has a third row and a lift gate too but it is sooo much bigger then the GX.... i hope that his answers this threads question
How can they (Lexus product manager/salesman) say it has to do with the size of the SUV. The RX doesn't have a 3rd row true, but the toyota Highlander (smaller than the GX) has a liftgate and is also has a 3rd row? I think they will say anything to answer a question... Someone in the GX forum called Lexus corp about the swing gate and was told "It's a feature of the GX460..." No other reason except that it's a feature... How about that this truck can have a rear mounted spare when badged as a PRADO. Can't have a liftgate and a rear mounted spare (way to heavy). I guess Lexus didn't want to redesign the rear hatch mechanism when it transformed the PRADO into the GX460. Too much work I guess?
Old 04-15-10, 10:07 PM
Alaska
Rookie

The 4Runner has a third row option and a liftgate, and is the same size as the GX460, same platform.
Old 04-16-10, 06:26 AM
jineration
Driver School Candidate

yeah they do have the option of the third row seat nad i know the highlander comes with one but what they dont have is that if the GX were to have a liftgate it would also most likely be motorized and the motor itself would be what gets in the way the 4runner and highlanders doesnt have a motor that closes and opens their liftgate
Old 04-16-10, 09:24 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are plenty of SUV's with power liftgates, granted it is not the EXACT SAME size as the GX460, maybe off by an inch or two, but how many SUV's have the exact same dimensions anyway.

Lexus could have easily designed and installed a power lift gate on the new GX460 if they wanted to. They just chose not to.
Old 04-16-10, 09:32 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's just a cheap carryover of the Prado and Toyota just did not want to redesign the rear gate. The Prado has the spare on back so weight wise it would be too heavy to have it lift up. Thus why the RAV4 and old CRV had the gate. When the new CRV went the way of swing up, the spare tire was gone.

There is NO REASON to have a swing gate on the GX, none. The pros of having a up gate are far more than having a swing gate. Lexus blew it on the first GX and blew it again on the 2nd gen., plain and simple.

They fixed on big problem (the 3rd row now folds flat) and left another for Gen. 3. Guess Toyota didn't want to keep us totally satisfied or they would not be "pursuing perfection."
Old 04-16-10, 10:12 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
There is NO REASON to have a swing gate on the GX, none. The pros of having a up gate are far more than having a swing gate. Lexus blew it on the first GX and blew it again on the 2nd gen., plain and simple.
That's your opinion. I significantly prefer the swing gate for similar reasons that I prefer passenger doors that swing instead of lift -- especially if it's not a power gate. A swing gate is far more convenient to open and put routine items in and out in my experience. I often rent vehicles, and sometimes get SUV's with manual lift gates. They are annoying as hell -- unlatch, pull it back while you step out of the way, lift it overhead, step up, do your thing, step back, pull it down and close it. PITA compared to a swing gate which works like a passenger door, which for some reason people don't seem to have problems with.
Old 04-16-10, 11:01 AM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I often rent vehicles, and sometimes get SUV's with manual lift gates. They are annoying as hell -- unlatch, pull it back while you step out of the way, lift it overhead, step up, do your thing, step back, pull it down and close it.
I'm with you here - my parents love the swing gate too, and now they added a latched rear window, it's even better. I think it looks cool too

They even hide tools and stuff in it. Imagine them hiding it in the manual lift gate, when you try to take it out it'll all fall on your head haha.

Edit: If you are loading a lot of stuff on your roof, wouldn't it be easier to step from the back if you are using a cargo box or basket? You can have the rear door open and it'll be easier than trying to load everything up from the side? Not to mention, if you have the manual lift gate up, you would have to close it before you can even get to the rear of the roof. Just a thought.

Last edited by gyung; 04-16-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-16-10, 03:29 PM
malmon
Intermediate

That's your opinion. I significantly prefer the swing gate for similar reasons that I prefer passenger doors that swing instead of lift -- especially if it's not a power gate. A swing gate is far more convenient to open and put routine items in and out in my experience. I often rent vehicles, and sometimes get SUV's with manual lift gates. They are annoying as hell -- unlatch, pull it back while you step out of the way, lift it overhead, step up, do your thing, step back, pull it down and close it. PITA compared to a swing gate which works like a passenger door, which for some reason people don't seem to have problems with.
Well if you are having trouble lifting the hatch, then you should have rented an SUV with POWER liftgate.
Old 04-16-10, 03:32 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gyung
I'm with you here - my parents love the swing gate too, and now they added a latched rear window, it's even better. I think it looks cool too

They even hide tools and stuff in it. Imagine them hiding it in the manual lift gate, when you try to take it out it'll all fall on your head haha.

Edit: If you are loading a lot of stuff on your roof, wouldn't it be easier to step from the back if you are using a cargo box or basket? You can have the rear door open and it'll be easier than trying to load everything up from the side? Not to mention, if you have the manual lift gate up, you would have to close it before you can even get to the rear of the roof. Just a thought.
The problem is the swing gate on the GX opens to the left, it would be more favorable if it opens to the right towards the sidewalk. If you have picked up somebody in the airport you'll know what I mean.
Old 04-16-10, 03:40 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I think it's just a cheap carryover of the Prado and Toyota just did not want to redesign the rear gate.
I agree, this is the obvious reason.
Old 04-16-10, 07:12 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Originally Posted by malmon
The problem is the swing gate on the GX opens to the left, it would be more favorable if it opens to the right towards the sidewalk. If you have picked up somebody in the airport you'll know what I mean.
I wish more people would get this point.
Old 04-16-10, 07:48 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by malmon
Same problem when parallel parked
Old 04-16-10, 10:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What?

I significantly prefer the swing gate for similar reasons that I prefer passenger doors that swing instead of lift -- especially if it's not a power gate...
Are you talking about lambo doors or the MB gullwings? Not many cars have passenger doors that lift...

Also, lift must be overall better than swing or else someone's minivan would have a gate. And the loading of objects, if you have an object that causes the rear door not to close, on a lift gate the weight of the door almost keeps it down, so you just need to do a quick tie. With a gate, pretty hard to keep a swinging gate closed.

It seems a few here love it, so I guess it can't be completely bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why the side-swinging rear door?