Why the side-swinging rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 11:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
You cant be serious !

Our garage is a completely average size garage, its size and characteristics are pretty much the same as many other homes I have visited in most southern states and some northern ones. While the picture is over 10 years old the hatch of the SUV CAN be opened inside the garage and you have about an inch left before it hits the door and the frame. This is the ONLY SUV I could EVER open while inside, for all others I have to put a piece of styrofoam between the hatch and the door/frame to avoid damaging the paint.

Now if you have a barn or a car shop attached to your home it is probably fine but I can tell you with 100% certainty that you would not be able to open the GX's hatch has it been opening upwards! I know for a fact because even smaller SUVs don't open including the 4Runner. I am still not sure how was I wrong!
You mentioned the hatch hitting the door frame. Our RX will indeed hit the door frame (I learned the hard way as I pulled into the garage with the lid open).
However, it would be parked too far out for the hatch to be opened with the garage door closed. The last section of the door sits at an angle. Our RX clears the door perfectly once it is parked most of the way in.
I don't expect having issues if I was to buy a 4Runner. GX, on the other hand, may be scrapped from the shopping list, no matter how much I like it. Wife simply said - no.

The garage door clearance is certainly a valid concern. GX being about 4" taller than the 4Runner and 6.5" taller than the 3RX.
Old 03-29-17, 11:56 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
You cant be serious !

While the picture is over 10 years old the hatch of the SUV CAN be opened inside the garage and you have about an inch left before it hits the door and the frame. This is the ONLY SUV I could EVER open while inside
So you're now saying you CAN open up a conventional SUV rear door in your garage? Isn't that a contradiction of what you said earlier?
Old 03-29-17, 12:19 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
However, it would be parked too far out for the hatch to be opened with the garage door closed. The last section of the door sits at an angle. Our RX clears the door perfectly once it is parked most of the way in.
I don't expect having issues if I was to buy a 4Runner. GX, on the other hand, may be scrapped from the shopping list, no matter how much I like it. Wife simply said - no.

The garage door clearance is certainly a valid concern. GX being about 4" taller than the 4Runner and 6.5" taller than the 3RX.

The RX has had an adjustable tailgate door for a while now. If Lexus can do this on their cheaper SUV, it looks like they could have it on their GX.

I'm the opposite in that when I wanted something out of my GX, I'd have to open the garage door because of the way it swings out lengthwise wouldn't clear and would hit. Wasn't an issue with previous hatches.
Old 03-29-17, 12:52 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter
So you're now saying you CAN open up a conventional SUV rear door in your garage? Isn't that a contradiction of what you said earlier?
I said:
This is the ONLY SUV I could EVER open while inside...

How is this a contradiction I have ZERO clue! The GX is taller and I have never mentioned conventional SUVs in general as this thread is not about those!

I still don't understand the nit picking as I simply stated my personal opinion and the reasons. Now you are trying to convince me that my opinion is "wrong" somehow and I only imagine the lack of clearance between an open hatch and my garage door & frame!
Old 03-29-17, 01:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Quote:Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
You cant be serious !

While the picture is over 10 years old the hatch of the SUV CAN be opened inside the garage and you have about an inch left before it hits the door and the frame. This is the ONLY SUV I could EVER open while inside

Originally Posted by Coulter

I thought the same thing, made no sense to me either.
The following 2 users liked this post by BradTank:
Coulter (03-29-17), NewB2Lexus (03-29-17)
Old 03-29-17, 06:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I would like this as a compromise on the GX. At least it covers me from hard rain (well, partially) and the ability to open it remotely.

The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
JT4 (03-30-17), vlad_a (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 07:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tecman
I would like this as a compromise on the GX. At least it covers me from hard rain (well, partially) and the ability to open it remotely.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3cD3IKaf8yA
That would be brilliant!
Old 03-31-17, 10:17 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We thought we didn't like the concept of the swinging door either. However, in reality it suits us better than an upward swinging hatch.

We are both tall, and have to stoop to get under the hatch on our RX (really bought for our kids who are now out of the house so it is kept around as a spare).

The garage at our previous house had plenty of room to open the door with the GX inside, and where we are now the garage itself is inside another structure, so no problems there.

We transport two 12' kayaks on top of the GX. We climb on the back bumper with the door open in order to load and unload. Impossible with a hatch that swings up.
Old 03-31-17, 12:51 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

This thread is funny.

Yeah that rear door is weird but I like it.

What I don't like is the new power liftgates on the Toyota products. You literally can't open and close it by yourself, you *have* to wait for the damned power liftgate to do its thing, which takes forever.
Old 03-31-17, 01:06 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
This thread is funny.

Yeah that rear door is weird but I like it.

What I don't like is the new power liftgates on the Toyota products. You literally can't open and close it by yourself, you *have* to wait for the damned power liftgate to do its thing, which takes forever.
Not really. There's a button in the glove box that will disable the auto-feature. And the rear button in the back is customized to either do a manual open or automated.
If Auto is not your thing, no problem at all! Our whole family loves it, though.
Old 03-31-17, 02:06 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Not really. There's a button in the glove box that will disable the auto-feature. And the rear button in the back is customized to either do a manual open or automated.
If Auto is not your thing, no problem at all! Our whole family loves it, though.
Hmmm.. What's the most recent Toyota product you've driven? I'm taking about the 2016s and 2017s. I see no button. Even if there was a button, I want to just be able to reach and close the door myself sometimes. I can do that on my wife's MDX. Press a button and it closes, or I can just reach and pull it down, no big deal. Closing a door has never been so complicated.
Old 03-31-17, 02:49 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Hmmm.. What's the most recent Toyota product you've driven? I'm taking about the 2016s and 2017s. I see no button. Even if there was a button, I want to just be able to reach and close the door myself sometimes. I can do that on my wife's MDX. Press a button and it closes, or I can just reach and pull it down, no big deal. Closing a door has never been so complicated.
Still there:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM0E023U.pdf
How to disable it is on Pg 111. It's in the menu now.
You can also customize it to your liking. Pg 609.
Old 04-03-17, 06:59 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Still there:
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM0E023U.pdf
How to disable it is on Pg 111. It's in the menu now.
You can also customize it to your liking. Pg 609.
Not really a solution.
Other manufacturers have power doors that you can also close manually just like any other door without having to adjust settings each time.
Take stuff out of car ---> put stuff down --> hit auto close button --> stand there for about 10 seconds like an idiot for it to finally close and latch ---> hit door lock button ---> pick your stuff back up.
Toyota needs to get their **** together.
Old 04-05-17, 03:25 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Not really a solution.
Other manufacturers have power doors that you can also close manually just like any other door without having to adjust settings each time.
Take stuff out of car ---> put stuff down --> hit auto close button --> stand there for about 10 seconds like an idiot for it to finally close and latch ---> hit door lock button ---> pick your stuff back up.
Toyota needs to get their **** together.
I'm not sure what you mean...
You can do manual operation, automatic, remote, inside, or any combination there of.
Change preferences of what the button or the sensor behind the logo does.

Never did the duration of power hatch inconvenienced me. Rather opposite, it is very handy.
Don't want to wait, use the remote! Open and close the hatch from a distance.
Car just parked? Hit the button inside.

Very simple, very convenient.

That barn door on the GX is still the biggest detriment for me putting a deposit down on one.
I've been measuring my garage, trying to figure out how much clearance I will have in the back of the GX to operate the door with the garage closed.
At 22" estimated, it isn't much. I started putting modular shelves on the front of where the vehicles will park, but those will have to go.

I'm really excited to see a 7-seat Subaru crossover:
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...d-testing.html

It's got a proper hatch, capable AWD (unlike RX), and may just do the trick.
Subaru EyeSight is just a cherry on top.
Maybe it's time I went from 2 Lexuses in the garage down to 0.
Old 03-05-18, 09:43 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

It took a while to adjust to the barn door... I have a garage packaging problem which prevented me from having more than one full sized SUV. I couldn't fit two in the double and I needed a shoe horn and vaseline to fit a big one in the single garage. I only wanted a vehicle with a body on frame, so my options were very limited. Two years ago I considered a 4Runner Ltd. but the seat bolsters were very tight. Once I drove the GX, the barn door became a non issue. We liked the quality so much that I just bought my wife one a couple of months ago also. The quality and refined feel of the Lexus GX trumps everything out there IMO. I seriously considered a new Escalade, but GM has had SO many complaints about boominess and vibration, that it didn't make sense to seriously consider any new full sized GM SUV. (I currently have a '10 Tahoe LTZ that's staying in the family...one of my all time favorite SUVs. It's been fantastic and runs quieter than the new generation.) Now this will sound very elitist, but the only "real" drawback with the barn door is when you pull up to the bag drop and the bagboy/girl stares at the door wondering how to open it. The girls are a quicker study!

Quick Reply: Why the side-swinging rear door?