GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Premium Version of 2010 GX 460 Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-10, 02:44 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
I have purchased $65,802 prem gx - got it Monday silver/black
Nice, I can't wait to trade in my 2009 BMW X5 diesel. I guess your car has the rear entertainment? Mine stickers out at 62,792.

Craig
Old 01-29-10, 02:48 PM
Craig B

I have purchased $65,802 prem gx - got it Monday silver/black
Congratulations! How do you like it? My dealer had to search for what I wanted. They were able to do a port trade...

Craig
Old 01-29-10, 04:22 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaniDel
What Lexus describes in their literature and what they sell are different. There is no doubt that they designed, described and built Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 ... one of our members bought one for his wife ... check out his pictures. The question is will they continue to build them or was that 'batch' of Premium versions the only batch? If so, when could we expect they will resume building them?

As flipside909 has explained, different Lexus regions and probably different Lexus dealers order different versions. So, even if they are built, our dealer in our region may not offer them.
Regards,

SaniDel
I think "discontinued" means something much different than "availability".
Old 01-29-10, 04:37 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course ... would you expect any dealer to do otherwise?
Yes, I would expect the dealer to tell you that they do not have your desired vehicle on allocation, but they can special order it for you.
Old 01-29-10, 06:55 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the vehicles and allocation was done 6 months ago. Dealers buy and allocate what they want. If they do nto have prems it is because they did not order them
Old 01-30-10, 05:34 AM
stl2chi
Rookie

Why not special order the premium exactly how you would like it? Most special orders take 3 months for delivery anyway....
Old 01-30-10, 10:28 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by stl2chi
Why not special order the premium exactly how you would like it? Most special orders take 3 months for delivery anyway....
I had my dealer search for what I wanted. They did a port trade for one of their other GX's. A dealer is lazy if they don't want to locate what you want.
I called every dealer in the state. One never called back, they were too lazy to even call back when they knew what I wanted wasn't in their inventory.

Craig
Old 01-30-10, 05:52 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio98
Yes, I would expect the dealer to tell you that they do not have your desired vehicle on allocation, but they can special order it for you.
Thanks for that suggestion ... I'll see what they say at our scheduled visit to review our options. Do we know that Lexus is accepting special orders for this new vehicle?
Old 01-30-10, 05:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

the vehicles and allocation was done 6 months ago. Dealers buy and allocate what they want. If they do nto have prems it is because they did not order them
That's what I was afraid of ... our dealer didn't order them and now can't get them. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 01-30-10, 09:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Why should I assume that another dealer in a distant town with whom I have never done business and who is unlikely to see me again or to get my service business will treat me better than my local dealer who has been selling me Lexus vehicles since 1994? Isn't one of the reasons we pay the "Lexus tax" is that we will be treated better than buyers of other brands? We could be buying 4Runners from any number of Toyota dealers ... there are more of them than there are Lexus dealers!

Sorry, I have better things to do than spend my time and gas driving to distant Lexus dealers hoping that one of them won't "shaft me". I would rather use the knowledge of the members on this forum to understand why I can't get what I want at my local dealer where I have bought many cars and will continue to service my cars.
If you have a preferred dealer but another dealer is willing to give you a better deal, take the offer you got from the other dealer to your preferred dealer and see if they would be willing to work with you.

Some dealers will give a cut throat deal to gain your business...and sometimes they will undercut your favorite local dealer if they have to. I would shop around each dealer through their internet fleet department and see who can give you the best deal.

flipside909 has provided a likely explanation of what is going on "behind the scenes" ... that's something I can work with without "spinning my wheels". Thanks anyway ...
Regards,

SaniDel
In the end, you don't want to regret your purchase. It's best to do all the legwork and research you're doing now so you will be completely satisfied with your choice later.

It seems that the Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 are headed North and West!

That would be consistent with flipside909's insight into what is happening and also 'squares' with the seasonal nature of the SUV market. We've learned to buy SUV's in the summer and sell them in the winter as their value varies inversely with the temperature ... the colder and 'snowier' ... the more they are in demand. Conversely, the heat of summer is the best time to buy them ... wait until next July or August and we can have our pick of the options and at a good price!

So, the dealers in Vancouver will be well-stocked with Premium and even Ultra Premium versions for the Olympics, but there may be a 'drought' in other areas. Thanks for this insight into what is happening between our two countries ... something similar happened with the LX 570, but they headed East!
Regards,

SaniDel
Thanks for confirming what we are experiencing. We could have bought a black Premium ... the dealer sent me the inbound vehicle report with the VIN, but it had options we did not want such as the rear-seat entertainment. We passed and it sold, but now our dealer is telling us they are not getting any more Premium versions, perhaps because they are headed to Vancouver for the Olympics. ;-)

Enjoy your new GX ... I have "vehicle envy"!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Any chance you bought it at Lexus of Ft. Myers? That is a great dealership!
The deals and packages that Canada is getting will not parallel what Lexus USA is doing. Don't worry about how Canada packages their cars, it will not apply to us here in the states despite being the same model. Canada and US Lexus' are built specifically to spec for each market. A GX built for Canada is specific to Canada only. A GX built for the US is specific to the US. Lexus does not swap cars between the two countries as each has their own emissions and safety regulations. Also the fact that speedo and measurment systems are set for metric in Canada and standard in the US.

Of course ... would you expect any dealer to do otherwise?

However, what is peculiar about our situation is that our dealer not only has nothing to sell us, but also what they expected to sell us is no longer available. They went from expecting only the Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 to getting no more of the Premium versions, but flipside909 has good insight into what has likely happened.

The end result is that our local dealer expects no Premium versions, we have a report from akfd that the Premiums and "Ultra Premiums" are available in Canada and it may be a long time before we see them in our region. That's fine with me ... by then it will be Spring and the market for SUVs will melt with the snow!
Regards,

SaniDel
If you cannot find a good deal at your local dealer, have you tried the big guys like Lexus of North Miami or JM Lexus in Margate?
Old 01-31-10, 05:26 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

I thought I was providing complete responses, but I have met my match!

Many thanks to flipside909 for exhaustively reviewing my postings and providing additional insight into the process of finding a GX 460. I used the navigation system in my current RX 400h to find a "baker's dozen" Lexus dealers within 100 miles. Needless to say, each has their own web page and all of them invite online inquiries, including our local dealer. So, an obvious next step is to invite each of them to quote a GX 460 that is neither "too base" nor "too premium" ... one that is just right for me.

Here's my concern ... why should I do what our local dealer should do for me?If my "perfect GX 460" is available at any of these dealers, wouldn't it be in both dealership's best interest to arrange for me to buy it? More to the point, this is a "zero sum" game for the Lexus division of Toyota ... I'm only going to buy one GX so I should buy the right one and be happy with my choice, right?

Maybe I am too naive about car buying as it is something I do only once every four years, but buying as exclusive a product as a Lexus GX 460 is not like comparing Fords to Chevy's to Toyota's to Hondas. I've already decided to trade our 2006 RX 400h for a 2010 GX 460 ... I'm not going to abruptly change my mind and buy a Range Rover or a BMW X5 or an Audi Q7. So, is there really much benefit to me schlepping back and forth between all these dealers when I've already decided what to buy, where to buy it and where to have it serviced?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 02-01-10, 03:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Here's my concern ... why should I do what our local dealer should do for me?If my "perfect GX 460" is available at any of these dealers, wouldn't it be in both dealership's best interest to arrange for me to buy it? More to the point, this is a "zero sum" game for the Lexus division of Toyota ... I'm only going to buy one GX so I should buy the right one and be happy with my choice, right?
Unfortunately that's part of the car buying game. If your local favorite dealership cannot meet your needs, you have to check the other places to see who will meet your expectations. It helps if you deal with the same salesperson at the same dealership. Sometimes that isn't feasible, but it's definitely good to know a reputable/preferred salesperson of choice to help you get the best deal.

Maybe I am too naive about car buying as it is something I do only once every four years, but buying as exclusive a product as a Lexus GX 460 is not like comparing Fords to Chevy's to Toyota's to Hondas. I've already decided to trade our 2006 RX 400h for a 2010 GX 460 ... I'm not going to abruptly change my mind and buy a Range Rover or a BMW X5 or an Audi Q7. So, is there really much benefit to me schlepping back and forth between all these dealers when I've already decided what to buy, where to buy it and where to have it serviced?
Regards,

SaniDel
Well it's all about what you can afford and what you value. Sometimes it's worth paying that extra $500 at your local dealership vs the next dealership over. But it is good to have a ball park figure in what you want so you can decide if the deal is best for you. It doesn't hurt to be a smart and conscious shopper, especially in this day and age.
Old 02-05-10, 05:20 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that suggestion ... I'll see what they say at our scheduled visit to review our options. Do we know that Lexus is accepting special orders for this new vehicle?
Yes, they will accept special orders, but that may not be necessary, depending on the options you want.

How did the meeting go with your dealer?
Old 02-05-10, 06:41 PM
JessePS

Features in GX460 Ultra Premium that are not in GX460 Premium (Canada)
- Millimetre-wave dynamic radar cruise system
- Crawl Control
- Illuminated scuff plates
- semi-aniline leather-trimmed interior
- wood- and leather-trimmed shift **** and heated steering wheel
- Two sets of wireless headphones
- 4-camera around-view monitor
- steering angle indicator
- Pre-Collision system (PCs)
- Lane departure alert
- Driver attention monitor
- Multi-terrain select
- off-road package w/off-road guidance and fuel tank protector

RX350 Ultra Premium: $62,700 CDN
RX450h Touring: $62,900 CDN
GX460 Premium: $68,500 CDN
RX450h Ultra Premium: $72,500 CDN
GX460 Ultra Premium: $77,500 CDN
LX570: $89,750 CDN
LX570 Ultra Premium: $100,300 CDN

I am wondering if someone would buy the GX460 in the US say in New Hampshire or Maine would it have the same features as the Canadian model for like the winter?

Last edited by JessePS; 02-07-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-05-10, 08:24 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's an "Off-Road Package?" I couldn't find it on Lexus' website.

Quick Reply: Premium Version of 2010 GX 460 Discontinued?