GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Premium Version of 2010 GX 460 Discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 05:34 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Premium Version of 2010 GX 460 Discontinued?

That's what our local Lexus dealer is saying ... after an initial batch that were 'loaded' there will be no more Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 "for the foreseeable future" ... their exact words. At least one and probably several Premiums were enroute to our dealer and one was sold before we had a chance to inspect it. If confirmed, it makes our decision easy, but we had hoped to have the choice.

Please advise of any evidence to confirm or deny ... thanks.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-28-10, 07:03 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone better tell Lexus

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/features/pricing.html
Old 01-28-10, 07:39 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess the dealer will say anything to get you to buy what they currently have.
Old 01-28-10, 09:21 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

GO to another dealer--they are going to shaft you
Old 01-28-10, 11:01 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a little little different up North here; the dealers in Vancouver have only the Ultra Premiums, but no GXs with Premium Package at the moment. But inventory is coming, as I order a Premium Package and the dealer says it will be here 2 months later. So if the Premium Package is available in Canada, I'm pretty sure it will be available in the US as well.
Old 01-28-10, 11:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

It's most likely your dealer's region is only ordering base GX460's with certain option packages due to demand. Each Lexus region tailors their orders to their demands.

I'm pretty confident you can obtain a GX460 Premium by either special order or if a dealer happens to have it in their inventory.

From a dealer's perspective, it's more profitable and viable for them to keep a GX Base with NAV with a sticker of $57k vs. a fully loaded GX Premium for $65K+ on their lots. Chances are the GX Base will sell first before the GX Premium.

I'm sure if times were a lot better, dealers would have no problem stocking both, but because in this tight economy, people are looking for value.
Old 01-29-10, 07:24 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akfd
So if the Premium Package is available in Canada, I'm pretty sure it will be available in the US as well.
The premium in Canada is not the same as the premium in the US.

The GX 460 Premium in Canada = GX Base in US with additional pre-selected options.

The GX 460 Ultra Premium in Canada = GX Premium in US with additional pre-selected options.
Old 01-29-10, 12:18 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

A dealer located a silver/black premium with Mark Levinson and Nav for me today. I should have it around the end of Feb., or first of March.

My color combo wasn't easy to find without rear seat entertainment...

Craig
Old 01-29-10, 01:22 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by flipside909
It's most likely your dealer's region is only ordering base GX460's with certain option packages due to demand. Each Lexus region tailors their orders to their demands.

I'm pretty confident you can obtain a GX460 Premium by either special order or if a dealer happens to have it in their inventory.

From a dealer's perspective, it's more profitable and viable for them to keep a GX Base with NAV with a sticker of $57k vs. a fully loaded GX Premium for $65K+ on their lots. Chances are the GX Base will sell first before the GX Premium.

I'm sure if times were a lot better, dealers would have no problem stocking both, but because in this tight economy, people are looking for value.
It seems that flipside909 has the most reasonable explanation for what is happening, especially since our dealer's situation went from one extreme of expecting ONLY Premium versions to expecting NONE of the Premium versions. Since the latest word from our dealer came after meeting with their regional manager, it is likely that our region will get only the base versions and other regions will get the premium versions.

The demonstrator we drove in December was configured as flipside909 described ... a base version with navigation and a sticker of $57K, which is exactly what our dealer is expecting to get in stock and to offer to us. Too bad we didn't buy the demo! ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-29-10, 01:28 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by xswl0931
What Lexus describes in their literature and what they sell are different. There is no doubt that they designed, described and built Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 ... one of our members bought one for his wife ... check out his pictures. The question is will they continue to build them or was that 'batch' of Premium versions the only batch? If so, when could we expect they will resume building them?

As flipside909 has explained, different Lexus regions and probably different Lexus dealers order different versions. So, even if they are built, our dealer in our region may not offer them.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-29-10, 01:29 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased $65,802 prem gx - got it Monday silver/black
Old 01-29-10, 01:48 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Booyah
GO to another dealer--they are going to shaft you
Why should I assume that another dealer in a distant town with whom I have never done business and who is unlikely to see me again or to get my service business will treat me better than my local dealer who has been selling me Lexus vehicles since 1994? Isn't one of the reasons we pay the "Lexus tax" is that we will be treated better than buyers of other brands? We could be buying 4Runners from any number of Toyota dealers ... there are more of them than there are Lexus dealers!

Sorry, I have better things to do than spend my time and gas driving to distant Lexus dealers hoping that one of them won't "shaft me". I would rather use the knowledge of the members on this forum to understand why I can't get what I want at my local dealer where I have bought many cars and will continue to service my cars.

flipside909 has provided a likely explanation of what is going on "behind the scenes" ... that's something I can work with without "spinning my wheels". Thanks anyway ...
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-29-10, 01:55 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by akfd
It's a little little different up North here; the dealers in Vancouver have only the Ultra Premiums, but no GXs with Premium Package at the moment. But inventory is coming, as I order a Premium Package and the dealer says it will be here 2 months later. So if the Premium Package is available in Canada, I'm pretty sure it will be available in the US as well.
It seems that the Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 are headed North and West!

That would be consistent with flipside909's insight into what is happening and also 'squares' with the seasonal nature of the SUV market. We've learned to buy SUV's in the summer and sell them in the winter as their value varies inversely with the temperature ... the colder and 'snowier' ... the more they are in demand. Conversely, the heat of summer is the best time to buy them ... wait until next July or August and we can have our pick of the options and at a good price!

So, the dealers in Vancouver will be well-stocked with Premium and even Ultra Premium versions for the Olympics, but there may be a 'drought' in other areas. Thanks for this insight into what is happening between our two countries ... something similar happened with the LX 570, but they headed East!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-29-10, 02:01 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by bturkel1@v
I have purchased $65,802 prem gx - got it Monday silver/black
Thanks for confirming what we are experiencing. We could have bought a black Premium ... the dealer sent me the inbound vehicle report with the VIN, but it had options we did not want such as the rear-seat entertainment. We passed and it sold, but now our dealer is telling us they are not getting any more Premium versions, perhaps because they are headed to Vancouver for the Olympics. ;-)

Enjoy your new GX ... I have "vehicle envy"!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Any chance you bought it at Lexus of Ft. Myers? That is a great dealership!
Old 01-29-10, 02:40 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by antonio98
I guess the dealer will say anything to get you to buy what they currently have.
Of course ... would you expect any dealer to do otherwise?

However, what is peculiar about our situation is that our dealer not only has nothing to sell us, but also what they expected to sell us is no longer available. They went from expecting only the Premium versions of the 2010 GX 460 to getting no more of the Premium versions, but flipside909 has good insight into what has likely happened.

The end result is that our local dealer expects no Premium versions, we have a report from akfd that the Premiums and "Ultra Premiums" are available in Canada and it may be a long time before we see them in our region. That's fine with me ... by then it will be Spring and the market for SUVs will melt with the snow!
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Premium Version of 2010 GX 460 Discontinued?