My 2010 GX interior review

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 03:17 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010: GX460 interior review

Thumbs down

Let me start off by saying that the GX460 was not available for test drive as the only GX that the Lexus dealer had was in the showroom, and with the 4Runner just being reviewed by me for the interior, it was perfect that I got to check out a GX460 on the inside.

I am a very big critic when it comes to Lexus, and the new GX460 is a step in the wrong direction compared to the outgoing GX470. It seems like Lexus has decided to alienate GX470 buyers with this new design. The interior of the new GX460 has now been brought closer to the driver than ever before. Everything that was great about the 470 is missing in this redesign, the interior does not feel as roomy and feels much more cramped than before.

Overall, on the dash there a lot of buttons. This would of been the perfect opportunity to offer the iDrive like controller, especially now that the interior is brought closer to the driver. The volume and radio knows are curiously low on the dash and what was Lexus thinking the slow moving sliding door panel which covers the cd controls.

On to the materials. The materials in this new redesign are mixed, and that is where the GX460 gets a full thumbs down. The upper and lower doors panels have some hard plastic that do not belong in a Lexus. Maybe a 4Runner, Tundra or Land Cruiser, but not a Lexus.

The simulated or real leather (I am not sure I really care anymore) on the doors and center console feel like the exact same material from the Toyota Avalon. Again, fine enough for an Avalon but not a Lexus. Also, this simulated leather feels cheaply tacked on. And if you look next to the simulated leather part, you can see and feel hard plastic.

As for the doors panels, they feel heavier but the feel of the material once again does not feel Lexus like. There is hard plastic at the top and bottom of the panels which is separated by cheap feeling simulated or real leather that feels tacked on. The door pull feels hard and rough, kind of like the 2003-2009 4runner door pull. Lexus could of put something on the inside of the pull, if anyone has pulled the current 4Runner door pulls or any of the Land Cruiser pulls, you will know what I mean. Even the door lock switch feels plasticy cheap.

Ok, enough with the bad. Some good things were the wood was pretty good, didn't really feel cheap. There a features everywhere on this Lexus. 3 zone climate, cameras, switches. The leather on the seats was very nice and luxurious. I also had no problem with the crome or brushed aluminum that was used. Finally, the sound system was pretty good and the speed of the menus on the nav seemed to move faster than ever before.

The rear seating and fold flat works if you don't mind the floor being a little higher. I would of offered a IRS and lift up hatch if it were me, but this is just minor.

I am not sure how to sum this up without offending the Lexus community but overall the new GX460 is a step in the wrong direction. Rather than taking the opportunity to move luxury SUV interiors forward (by perhaps adding a iDrive control and an ultra luxurious interior) it appears Lexus has stepped back. There seems to be more focus on covering up cost cutting and tacking things on than providing luxury in all of the details.

It also appears that the GX and 4runner has switched designs, the 4unner feels much more roomy and spacious while the GX is more cramped and tight. IMO you can't really tell you are in a luxury SUV, it feels more like a luxury car. Lexus has taken away that open roomy feeling of the GX460 and has substituted it with a previous gen 4runner tight interior. The headroom feels less and I think the floor is higher up than before (I have not actually checked the numbers but this is how it feels)

In conclusion, I mentioned in my 4Runner review that Toyota has somewhat overcomed that cheap feeling perception with 4Runner, with the GX460 on the other hand, it feels like Lexus is going to have perception problem with this new GX460.

Pros:
Nice leather seats
Features galore
Nice sound system
Nice wood

Cons:
Cheap feeling Avalon like simulated leather everywhere except on the seats
Hard Plastic
Terrible rear door
Too many tacked on bits (or so it seemed)
Really tight interior
Wiggly center console
High rear floor

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-25-10 at 05:53 PM. Reason: not yet driven by me
Old 01-23-10, 03:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Interesting. You have convinced me that the GX is no longer needed.
Old 01-23-10, 03:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

have you been in the RX recently? even the 2nd gen has hard plastic on the door panels. Im not sure what you are referring to when you say hard plastic doesnt belong on a lexus, because as for as I can see, they use it plentifully.

Last edited by RXSF; 01-23-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-23-10, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Overall, on the dash there a lot of buttons. This would of been the perfect opportunity to offer the iDrive like controller, especially now that the interior is brought closer to the driver.
Thanks for the write-up.

I have to disagree about the lack of a dash controller. The Lexus designers apparantly did that for a good reason....they, no, doubt, looked at all the complaints with the BMW I-Drive and Audi's MMI, and decided not to repeat that mistake. In fact, we had a thread recently on whether Lexus was going to be "forced" to adopt those controllers or not....I was one of those who said they wouldn't, although the new RX and HS have gone part-way, with mouse-type controllers.

I hope to see a new GX next week at the D.C. Auto Show. I'm going to check out the interior thoroughly myself, just like you did.

As for the outside, was the new GX as high and narrow as its predecessor? I've long felt that the last-generation GX/4Runner was too narrow for its height, which, of course, raises the center of gravity and doesn't help handling stability any.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-10 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-23-10, 05:07 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
have you been in the RX recently? even the 2nd gen has hard plastic on the door panels. Im not sure what you are referring to when you say hard plastic doesnt belong on a lexus, because as for as I can see, they use it plentifully.

For one the RX costs $20K-$30K less than the GX. Secondly, it's not the plastic thats the problem, its the type of plastic.
Old 01-23-10, 06:13 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i don't have a problem with the materials, but i have a problem with the design. it looks way way too american for my taste. it looks like it should be a lincoln.
Old 01-23-10, 06:58 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instrument panel looks awesome

It is about time they put black leather in this damn thing!

Center dash, so so
Old 01-23-10, 09:19 PM
hughh
Pole Position

<<<I am not sure how to sum this up without offending the Lexus community but overall the new GX460 is a step in the wrong direction.>>>

An honest opinion is never offending. Besides, in my case, I don't own any stock on the Toyota company...so, no offense!
Old 01-23-10, 10:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

While I don't agree with some points in your review, I do feel the dash has gone from trying to be carlike and luxurious to more trucklike. I've always liked an SUV that appears rugged on the outside, but coddles and smothers on the inside (best of both worlds). The squared off and upright lines of the dash do not convey comfort or luxury to me.
Old 01-23-10, 11:11 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
While I don't agree with some points in your review, I do feel the dash has gone from trying to be carlike and luxurious to more trucklike. I've always liked an SUV that appears rugged on the outside, but coddles and smothers on the inside (best of both worlds). The squared off and upright lines of the dash do not convey comfort or luxury to me.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-24-10, 12:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I really dig the dash and the materials in the GX's new interior. The interior in sepia with the matching bubinga wood looks really sharp.
Old 01-24-10, 07:32 AM
LexFather

I just reviewed it as well (didn't drive) and agree with your summary.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html

I expected to be let down but was very pleasantly surprised. Mind you the GX has probably been my least favorite Lexus for sometime now.

So based on what you think is some cheap leather on doors and other tidbits it is a step back? Huh? The vehicle I was in was 58k with options. An Infiniti QX starts around 55k. This destroys it in off road ability, features and refinement.

This vehicle is adored worldwide as the LC Prado, Lexus/Toyota cannot stray to far from the formula that works EVERYWHERE just to please 14,000 Americans.

Was your GX base or premium? What options packages did it have? What was the price?

Why are you asking for IRS on a tough off-roader? There is a reason the floor is high, it is a true 4x4. If you want a low floor, that is what the RX is for.

I will say what feels/looks different is the aluminized plastic. That said it is "different" if you have owned Lexus for years and see it today.

I had no issues with the plastic on the lower doors? Why? B/C I don't notice lower doors when I drive I agree, the plastic felt "cheap" but I'd rather cheap lower door panels than cheap seat leather. Lexus is not immune to cutting costs, they have to or they will not be competitive. Was it cost cutting? I assume so. Deal breaker? Far from it. What color was your GX inside and out?

We have discussed the barn door in spades. Clearly people worldwide love it and people here love it. It is a selling point for some people. Surely a lot of people do not like it but they have 100 other SUVs to chose that has the traditional door, including the GX/LX.

Quite frankly without us knowing some basic facts on the car you "reviewed" it just seems more like a rant.

Old 01-24-10, 07:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the write-up.

I have to disagree about the lack of a dash controller. The Lexus designers apparantly did that for a good reason....they, no, doubt, looked at all the complaints with the BMW I-Drive and Audi's MMI, and decided not to repeat that mistake. In fact, we had a thread recently on whether Lexus was going to be "forced" to adopt those controllers or not....I was one of those who said they wouldn't, although the new RX and HS have gone part-way, with mouse-type controllers.

I hope to see a new GX next week at the D.C. Auto Show. I'm going to check out the interior thoroughly myself, just like you did.

As for the outside, was the new GX as high and narrow as its predecessor? I've long felt that the last-generation GX/4Runner was too narrow for its height, which, of course, raises the center of gravity and doesn't help handling stability any.
It surprises me, though. They went in the controller direction for the new RX and HS. I definitely thought that was the way they would be going for every re-model. Unless they got such vocal complaints on the RX/HS set up, that the reversed that design here? It seems that there wouldn't be enough time to make that kind of change, though.

I have to say, I'd much rather get a fully loaded 4Runner than this--same with the 1st Gen.
Old 01-24-10, 07:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
i don't have a problem with the materials, but i have a problem with the design. it looks way way too american for my taste. it looks like it should be a lincoln.
If only Lincoln would design something like this, instead of the horrible mangling they do to every clean Ford design.
Old 01-24-10, 09:32 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the write-up. As for the outside, was the new GX as high and narrow as its predecessor? I've long felt that the last-generation GX/4Runner was too narrow for its height, which, of course, raises the center of gravity and doesn't help handling stability any.
The new GX seems to be about the same height as the last gen GX. It is inside where it does not feel the same, the seating position seems like a more laid back approach where in the past the seating position felt more upright.

The 4Runner never had issue with its height, the 4runner was about 3-4 inches shorter and had a unique suspension that helped keep the body flat when cornering.

Quick Reply: My 2010 GX interior review