GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

So I saw the GX at the auto show....first thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 09:41 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default So I saw the GX at the auto show....first thoughts

I went to the LA auto show a couple of week back and saw the GX in person. In fact this was the main reason for going there. I have a 2004 GX and we love it. I have high hopes for the next GX and was anticipating a great vehicle for the second gen GX. Here it goes.

There were two GXs at the show, one was on a spinning platform with no access. The other one was on the floor and you can get in and check it out closely. From a distance, the new GX is very reminiscent of the current car, as it should be. It still looks muscular and proportionate. The front end is a bit meh but overall pretty good. The wheels are a bit larger but very plain IMO, remind me of wheels they placed on Nissan Frontiers a while back...anyhow, not that important. When I came up to the car, I noticed the rear bumper may be ever slighltly lower than current car. The barn door swings out like in the 1sg gen but when you open the door, you see a 3-4 inch lip they have introduced to make the trunk flush. I think it looks odd, like an afterthought. Why not just make the door shorter (up anddown wise) reducing its weight by a small amount and mount it up to swing up. A smaller door would have made more sense since the door covers more than the opening ??? Also there is some sort of an adjustable mechanism to the rear door that now has what appears to be a gas charged strut, like ones holding up your hood. It was a bit weird but nonetheless a small point.
The seats were folded down and there is a button to press to fold them up. I dont know if it was because the battery had been disconnected (like our power windows when batt has been disconnected), the button has to be held the whole time as the seat unfolds, and there is a beep the whole time. Quite annoying to say the least. So I walked around to the back doors and opened the door and swung the seat forward....it does not do the goofy forward summersault that 1st gen does and got in the 3rd row. I am 5 10 and 200lbs and could actually sit there. Not great but way better than the current GX. So for those with a kid that is less than 16 or so, 3rd row will be fine....

Up front the dash is nice, I could not turn on the display but overall looks and fit and finish are great. Push button start and IPOD interface and display screen are all nice. Overall, the SUV is the same size as before, with some improvements to the horrific 3rd row setup we have in the 1st gen GX but not quite what I was hoping for. There is no way I would pay $60 or 65 grand for this vehicle. Now discount it to 50K then we are talking...
Old 12-24-09, 12:30 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Very informative, EyeKutr, thank you!

I have not looked at the new GX in person yet, but have an appointment on Saturday to take my dealership's demo, which just arrived, for a test drive and to take a look. Based on pictures, I do have to concur with you on your observations regarding the cargo area and that "step". I must say (and I've written this in another thread) that I love everything they have done in terms of drivetrain and technology features, but am not feeling this interior, particularly given the steep price tag ($65,170 for Premium with ML/NAV, RSES and cameras). Even the front seats seem to have this cheap, thin-profile flimsy look from the side, at least based on the pictures on lexus.com, though maybe they feel great in person.

Total cargo space is almost 20% less than in the RX, courtesy of the fold-flat 3rd row seat and the solid axle in the rear. I do not transport sofas or refrigerators on a regular basis, but I have a problem paying this much and getting 65ish cubic feet vs. the almost 80 on the RX (and 83ish on the LX, I believe). I am afraid that my son's "exersaucer", which fits just right height-wise in my '04, won't fit here without disassembly. Not that this is a huge inconvenience, but still an interesting observation.

Eager to see it, though I don't believe it will be on my list... same as you: not at that price. Now, I did take an LX for a test drive, and well, that's for another thread . That thing has space (and lots of torque and hp)!
Old 12-24-09, 03:36 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I would think that if someone needs an SUV right now, I think that a LX near invoice would be much better than a GX at MSRP, but that is a big duh....
Old 12-24-09, 03:40 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I sat in the 2010 GX today, and it seems a little small... even smaller than the 1st gen GX.

I don't think anyone who needs a full sized SUV will be able to consider the new GX as an option.