GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

1st and 2nd Gen GX - Side-by-Side

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 12:17 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
I don't think one can negate the price when considering the GX or any car for that matter unless money is truly no object, but if that were the case then the LX570 should be at the top of your list. IMO there are better bangs for the buck out there. Pricing of the new GX has pushed it into another price stratosphere where there is some stiff competition e.g. 2009/2010 Landcruiser, Toyota Sequoia Platinum, Infiniti QX56...

As for looks, it's personal taste I guess... Although it may look less like a 4 runner next to a 4 runner, but it looks more like a 4 runner next to the 1st Gen GX IMO.
Price negated because it it what it is; just needed other things, besides the price to focus on.
I agree with everything else, thanks!

--B R E A K--

Yesterday, after much salivating at the chops, I was finally able to take a silver GX 460 for a 5 to 10 minute test drive. Traffic was minimal, got to go up a decent hill or two, played with the comfort, sport and regular suspension settings, etc. Overall, I was very unimpressed.

My girlfriend believes this is because I'm used to the pick-up and handling of my IS 350. I'm not so sure.

The ride felt very trucklike. In regular setting, potholes, made the whole back end jar and thud. The braking felt unassuring and fidgety. The sport setting seemed to tighten things up when needed, and likewise, the comfort setting seemed to smooth things out, but the engine felt inadequate. (I'm certain that I would never have a reason to drive in the regular setting).

Needless to say, I went back to the dealership scratching my head and wondering what to do. I ended up kicking the tires of a demo 2008 RX 400h with Mark Levinson and 5874 miles. That was more like it. Instant power delivery and well mannered around town!

I waited to see what was up Lexus' sleeve in the mid-range SUV...not a fail, but they need to tweak a few things, before I buy a GX 460.

That said, I'm in the process of special ordering an AWD RX 450h (Matador Red/Parchment) with:

Heads Up Display

LL Luxury Package: Includes Semi-Aniline Leather Trim Interior, One Touch Open/Close Moonroof, Power Retractable Electrochormic Outside Mirrors, Wood and Leather Steering Wheel and Shift ****, Wide Angle Side-view Monitor, 19" Alloy Wheels with Mud and Snow Tires, MP3 Mini Plug with USB Audio Plug, Power Rear Door, Illuminated Scuff Plate and Headlamp Cleaner

ML Mark Levinson Audio

Looking at a two to three month wait, which is perfect. Problem is the HUD, is it worth the extra cash, and what is a good price for the RX 450h with all of the options listed above? After playing with a few Lexus car builders, and dealerships, the price is close to a premium GX 460, which is about 55k.

Maybe the GX 460 needs to wear on me or maybe I am not ready for the type of ride that the GX offers; I thought that I was, I guess not?

Last edited by Chi-town; 01-03-10 at 12:21 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 01-03-10, 08:02 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chi-town
Looking at a two to three month wait, which is perfect. Problem is the HUD, is it worth the extra cash, and what is a good price for the RX 450h with all of the options listed above? After playing with a few Lexus car builders, and dealerships, the price is close to a premium GX 460, which is about 55k.
Even though the base price of the GX Premium is 56K, it's being delivered to dealerships in the $65k range.

If you want a more significant price difference, you could consider the RX 350. The dealers are offering discounts on those.

You can find a lot of good information on 2010 RX pricing on the RX third generation forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...0-or-450h.html
Old 01-03-10, 09:10 AM
tetra7
Lead Lap

The ride felt very trucklike. In regular setting, potholes, made the whole back end jar and thud. The braking felt unassuring and fidgety. The sport setting seemed to tighten things up when needed, and likewise, the comfort setting seemed to smooth things out, but the engine felt inadequate. (I'm certain that I would never have a reason to drive in the regular setting).

Maybe the GX 460 needs to wear on me or maybe I am not ready for the type of ride that the GX offers; I thought that I was, I guess not?
Apples to oranges comparison. One is built on a truck platform with a solid rear axle - the other a unibody with front and rear IS. Both meant with different tasks in town - one could argue that the GX may be trying to do too much with its Prado background.
Old 01-11-10, 10:09 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I think the new GX will take a while to grow on me. I would prefer to have the Sequoia instead. The Sequoia has a power 3rd row that folds into the floor. This creates more usable space. The LX looks like a better option given the new increase in price. The new GX does not make me want to run to the store and trade in the old GX.
Old 01-12-10, 01:07 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mocheen
The new GX does not make me want to run to the store and trade in the old GX.
Me either... I just detailed the hell out of my "old faithful" GX 470 cuz it looks like we are going to be together for a couple more years. I have no desire to even look at the new one. It seems like a down grade in almost every area that matters to me. Not sure what Lex is thinking with this one.
Old 01-12-10, 06:39 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Came to my senses; going with the GX 460 Premium loaded instead of the RX 450h.
Old 01-12-10, 06:45 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Came to my senses; going with the GX 460 Premium loaded instead of the RX 450h.
Good decision... I lost my mind back in 2007 and went from a GX470 to an RX400h. A year later I traded it in for another GX470.