GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New GX460!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 08:31 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New GX460!

I received an e-mail from Lexus today with a link to the latest copy of Lexus Pursuits magazine:

With a V8 engine and full-time four-wheel drive, the GX gives you the power to handle almost any adventure—while delivering the best V8 fuel-economy ratings in its class [1]. But the GX isn't just about amazing feats of strength. With third-row seats that disappear at the touch of a button, it's also astonishingly versatile. See how the GX can help you conquer your busy lifestyle.

I took a quick look at the website, which was not as clear as I would like, but my impressions:

1. No more 4wd low. Just regular all time 4WD, but still with a pushbuttom type locking differential and limited slip differential. I'm not sure if this is quite a crossover yet, but it is getting there.
2. Only 2 small seats in the last row, making it seating for 7 and not 8. They don't seem to come out.
3. Fold flat second and back row seats - one of them by pushbutton. I'd really like to see this in person to get an idea of the cargo area. This might be an improvement.
4. Still has the opening rear door, but now has a small opening window in the rear. (Hatch type window).
5. New Nav with a lot of voice activation, takes audio CDs, hard drive nav disk, and much improved interface with a USB port for controlling IPODs as well as a regular audio jack - even blue tooth for mp3 players. Darn I would like this - too bad I just extended the warrenty for my four year old 06! Doesn't say if nav is touch screen, if not that would be a serious downer for me.

Here is the link:

http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/?s_oc...09:CTA1:2010GX
Old 12-16-09, 10:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GX460 does have a 4 lo setting, it has a two speed transfer case.

Lexus did drop the ball big time on the rear door and hatch. Almost every other car maker can make a lift up hatch (Toyota even did it with the 4runner) yet the GX460 has the stupid rear door.....not acceptable

The front look bad...and it is a little short of hp.
Old 12-17-09, 02:06 AM
gxrex
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry but I been driving a GX since '05 and love it inside and out but the new is FUGLY. What drew me initially to Lexus was how it looked externally and internally. In the end its all about looks for me whether the car is reliable or not. Needless to say, I will not be upgrading to a GX in the future even with the Lexus reliability. Call me vain but its all about the looks of a vehicle!!!Lexus, in my opinion, dropped the ball the new redesign both on the outside and inside. Furthermore, their whole redesign of their SUV line are just ugly!
Old 12-17-09, 07:13 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Doesn't say if nav is touch screen, if not that would be a serious downer for me.
Yes, the nav is touch screen.
Old 12-17-09, 01:34 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

will the new GX ride as smooth as the RX. The GX is still on a truck chassis correct?
Old 12-17-09, 02:35 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksonlui
will the new GX ride as smooth as the RX. The GX is still on a truck chassis correct?
Yes, the new GX is still body on frame.
Old 12-17-09, 05:17 PM
SLa
Driver School Candidate

The new 2010 GX is very disappointing. It looks like a dress up 4Runner with a hefty price tag. The 03-09 model is very elegant and it has (IMO) the classy and unique look. I will keep our 05' GX470.
Old 12-17-09, 05:41 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLa

The new 2010 GX is very disappointing. It looks like a dress up 4Runner with a hefty price tag. The 03-09 model is very elegant and it has (IMO) the classy and unique look. I will keep our 05' GX470.
Compare GX 460 and GX 470 in looks.

http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusgx#GX

~ Cap
Old 12-18-09, 04:31 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Review

Review.....

http://www.cars91.com/featured/lexus-gx-460/

~ Cap
Old 12-18-09, 04:37 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLa
^^^^1, that's why I drive the RX, the new GX has lost it's elegance
Old 12-20-09, 07:44 PM
cariesfree
Rookie

I like it! The previous one's interior is more or less like the 4Runner's. In addition, it's too skinny and tall. And it looks like one of the American SUVs. I always want a 3 row Lexus SUV but the new LX is too pricey. I think the new GX is just right!
Old 12-20-09, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The GX460 does have a 4 lo setting, it has a two speed transfer case.

Lexus did drop the ball big time on the rear door and hatch. Almost every other car maker can make a lift up hatch (Toyota even did it with the 4runner) yet the GX460 has the stupid rear door.....not acceptable

The front look bad...and it is a little short of hp.
It was their CHOICE to use the barn door. It might be a selling point to people who prefer it over the other method.

Old 12-21-09, 11:12 AM
agood1
Rookie

I saw one of these on the road today, it was not very impressive. Actually I think it looks "cheaper" than the older models.
Old 12-21-09, 05:30 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agood1
I saw one of these on the road today, it was not very impressive. Actually I think it looks "cheaper" than the older models.
It's available in the US already!! I can't wait to try one out here in Canada!!
Old 12-24-09, 12:28 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drove it today and was a bit underwhelmed. While the interior is quite nice, I find the seats not nearly as comfortable as my existing GX and they are not even close to the LX. Also, I'm not certain the car feels quite as "Lexuslike" as others I have owned. It is more "Toyotalike" IMHO. Maybe its like the new 4Runner but I don't know as I have not driven it. I also don't like the third row rear seats and raised floor. I think I will either go for an LX or keep my existing GX. Even though the car has more horsepower its not really much faster than the exisiting 470. The engine is no smoother than the GX470 engine IMHO. I'd like to know what others think after driving it. I am a bit disappointed given that I have heard so many great things in the promise of the new GX and have waiting a long time for the redesign.

Quick Reply: New GX460!