GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 06:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
As I stated in my previous post... I am probably going to get one, but was hoping for more. Actually I wanted the 5.7 and the gas mileage that goes with that engine. I don't mind paying for premium fuel also. I'm one of those fools that can feel (perceived feeling) the engines running smoother on premium. 9 hp isn't a big deal and I like the extra 2 ft lb of torque. I also believe that the entire torque curve might be better where it counts most, but I am confused as to why the Toyota gets the bragging rights here over the Lexus. Both engines have a compression ratio of 10.2 to 1, but one uses regular and the other premium with the premium car getting 9 less hp. Maybe I am still hoping that it's a typo 310 not 301?.?. I know it's not a typo. I read someone elses post that mentioned the exhaust gas receirculation is only on the toyota engine and that might cause the difference. Either way my driving style probably wouldn't use the extra hp anyway. I don't think I've ever pushed the wifes RX over the 3500 rpm mark. I'm just questioning the rational that the lexus would have a lower advertised hp number with a comperable engine running premium gasoline. I guess it's like the 4.7 in the old tundra and the GX470. The GX470 has 263 on premium, but the tundra got 270.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this is weird, but I think the GX is the only vehicle in the Toyota/Lexus lineup of comparable engine/vehicle that has a lower advertised hp number than it's toyota counter part running on regular. I also think that if Lexus wanted the engine to make 310+ hp they could have and I'm not sure why they didn't.
The 4.6 in the Tundra and 4.6 in the Lexus are tuned differently. The tundra makes its tq and power at 3400 and 5600rpm. The Lexus makes its peak at 3500 and 5500 rpm.

Toyota 4.7 has always made more hp than the Lexus counterparts. The Tundra was 271, Lexus LX 268, GX 263, 4runner 260.
Old 11-24-09, 07:06 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by acribb
Wow.

It's hard to believe that these vehicles' prices increased by 10K. That is a LOT.

This price hike is quite disappointing.

At these prices, I may as well buy the Range Rover Sport.

I hope Lexus deals on these.
Lexus isn't expecting to sell many of these anyway (only 14K a year) so don't expect them to deal too much. I've said this before, but I believe Lexus moved the GX upmarket to make room for a new 3 row crossover to slot below it. There is now a hefty $15K price gap between the RX and GX. A $45K crossover would fit nicely in that gap, and it would compete directly against the Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Mercedes GL and BMW X5.

My guess is that this new crossover would be a volume seller to somewhat take the place of the 1GX's slot in the lineup. As of now, I'm not sure if this new crossover would be a part of the RX "line" (ie RX-L) or the long rumored on again off again JX (which now more than ever would be the perfect time for the JX since the GS off which it is to be based is getting remodeled the end of next year), but Lexus's actions concerning the GX are quite telling.
Old 11-24-09, 10:56 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like the GX is not alone with the droopy eyes design.
Attached Thumbnails PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video-2009.acura.mdx.20246572-e.jpg   PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video-2009.acura.mdx.20246585-e.jpg   PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video-2009.acura.mdx.20257724-e.jpg   PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video-2009.acura.mdx.20237825-300x189.jpg  
Old 11-24-09, 10:59 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

But somehow it looks uglier on the GX.
Old 11-25-09, 06:09 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

The limited cargo capacity is a big problem.
According to Lexus .com, The RX has 80.3 cu. ft
The Gx has 64.7 Cu ft cargo capacity
Old 11-25-09, 07:34 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Car Connection

TheCarConnection.com has driven the new Lexus GX 460 on- and off-road, parked it, and even tried sitting in all three rows of seats in order to bring you the best all-around summation of this luxury SUV's strengths and weaknesses. We've also researched reviews from other sources, featured in an accompanying full review.
* Good ride quality
* Useful off-road electronics
* Standout safety features
* Towing ability

Dislikes:
* Tall cargo floor makes the interior feel small
* Almost no cargo space behind third row
* Spongy brake pedal feel
Buying Tips:
If you're regularly going to be loading groceries into the back of the GX, test it. The lift-up height is among the highest we've seen in a new vehicle.

Slotting just below the Land Cruiser-based LX 570 in the Lexus lineup, the mid-size 2010 Lexus GX 460 is all-new this year, itself based on the Toyota 4Runner. While the 4Runner offers four-cylinder and V-6 engines, the GX offers a V-8, power-folding third-row seats, plus a host of luxury and technology options and much-improved refinement—while allowing impressive off-road and towing ability.

Throughout the GX, designers have blended the gentle, organic, and aerodynamic styling of the Lexus L-Finesse designs of recent years with a "machined steel bar" theme, giving it a more sculpted, solid look that separates it from the cars and crossovers. From the front, the likeness with Lexus cars is obvious, with a similar chromed grille flanked by rather large headlamps (which bow slightly to meet U.S. regs). In back, the GX has a clean, uncluttered look, mainly thanks to the narrow vertical taillamps and a new wiper design that's hidden under the roof spoiler. Alongside, the GX looks the most 'trucky,' with carved-out fenders and the very tall, imposing beltline. Lexus likes to think of the interior as "tough premium," with the GX combining the expected chunky trim and bulkier door handles with soft, luxurious materials. The instrument-panel design is quite upright and has a horizontal-bar theme running its length.

With a big, torquey V-8 engine and pleasant throttle calibration—plus surprisingly good on-the-road handling composure—the GX 460 is easy to drive smoothly yet moves quite quickly when you need it to. A new 301-horsepower, 4.6-liter V-8 replaces the 4.7-liter used through 2009 in the GX 470, and the GX now gets six speeds for its automatic transmission, up from five. The new powertrain is up to Lexus standards of smoothness and refinement, although you do hear the engine a fair amount inside when accelerating. Lexus says it can get to 60 mph in 7.8 seconds, and the transmission kicks down quickly—even a couple of gears if needed—quickly yet without jolts. Fuel economy ratings are significantly improved, at 15 mpg city, 20 highway, up from 14/18 before, and TheCarConnection.com confirmed an average of nearly 19 mpg in mostly highway driving.

Even though the GX 460's low running boards wouldn't suit serious rock-crawling, it's more than another off-road poseur. The full-time four-wheel drive system includes a Torsen center differential and distributes power 60 percent to the rear wheels in normal driving, with more sent to the rear wheels during acceleration. This body-on-frame ute has a low range, plus a center diff lock that might be of use for sand, mud, or snow, while a host of electronic controls help you maintain control and moderate speed while getting off-roading. Among the most noteworthy is the available Crawl Control, which micromanages momentum over the toughest terrain at crawl speeds between 1.0 and 3.7 mph, selectable in five increments. All the more impressive is the standard Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS), which hydraulically links the front and rear stabilizer bars. It serves two roles: Off-road it allows wheel articulation while helping press down on the opposing wheel to maintain contact, while on-road it aids ride quality and minimizes body roll. However, on curvy roads, KDSS has a knack of leading you to believe you have more grip left than you actually do. That said, the GX feels surprisingly comfortable on a twisty road at a moderate pace. The steering is fairly good for a vehicle like this, with no road feel and an artificial weighting off center, but you'll find yourself making plenty of small adjustments in highway crosswinds. We found brakes to be one of the least appealing part of the driving experience—they felt spongy and difficult to modulate. Premium grade models also get an Adaptive Variable Suspension that allows Sport, Normal, and Comfort modes, but in either case ride quality is quite good.

The 2010 GX has a nice, high seating position in front—so much so that at least looking ahead and to the side you don't feel that the beltline is so tall. The front seats and driving position in the GX 460 remind us why so many drivers were won over by SUVs in the past decade. Seating in the GX 460 is superb in front, with nicely padded seats affording plenty of support plus good headroom and legroom and a general feeling of spaciousness. The second row of seating in the GX 450 is split and slides fore and aft more than a foot in all so that third-row occupants can get in and out more easily, and so that second- and third-row passengers can compromise for the best allocation of legroom. The back row is also split, with an all-new design that should be more convenient for occasional third-row users; the sections are electrically operated and can be brought up or down in a half-minute or so by holding down a button just inside the side-opening rear hatch. The upside of this new design, aside from the handy power deployment, is that it's actually doable for adults for short stints—if you're willing to accept a seating position that places your knees up near your chest. But there's also a big downside to the new design: While the third row in the old GX could be removed, making the GX feel more like a vehicle that was retrofitted with the power third-row arrangement on a budget, from an existing vehicle, than an all-new one. There's very little cargo space behind the third row when it's up. Overall, we're pleased with the look and feel of the interior appointments. The GX has more unique interior pieces than ever before. The controls felt better designed and less cluttered than those in Lexus cars, and we loved the redesigned steering-wheel controls and nice, legible gauge layout and cleanly laid-out center-stack for audio, climate, and nav functions. The only odd thing is the sliding panel that partially covers audio controls.

Since the 2010 Lexus GX 460 is an all-new vehicle with a new structure, there aren't yet any crash-test ratings available. But there sure are plenty of safety features. In addition to the usual stability control and anti-lock brakes, Lexus claims that the GX 460 has a best-in-class ten airbags, including front side, rear seat side, and three-row side-curtain bags, plus knee bags for both front occupants. Active front head restraints also enhance rear impact safety. Unfortunately, with the beltline brought even higher than before and a thicker back pillar, the blind spots have grown, leaving you to double- and triple-check when changing lanes. A back-up camera is now standard, but a wide-view front and side monitor system that helps a lot more is optional and requires the navigation system. Also available is a Pre-Collision System, which primes the braking system for emergency braking and employs a driver monitor system; the feature is packaged together with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Lane Departure Alert, which detects lane markings and sounds a buzzer to warn the driver. Safety Connect—a GPS-based roadside assistance system—is included with all GX models.

As you might expect, the Lexus GX 460 comes with nearly all the traditional luxury and comfort features standard. What you opt up—especially on the Premium Grade model—are the rich technology, entertainment, and information features, like 330-watt Mark Levinson surround sound, a rear seat entertainment system, Intuitive Park Assist, and the aforementioned safety-tech package. Lexus' navigation system is now packaged with Enform, which offers a suite of services delivering weather, stock quotes, and sports scores, among other things, plus a Destination Assist service that allows a remote operator to input program your nav system.
Other Choices:

* Audi Q7
* Jeep Commander
* Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
* Volkswagen Touareg

Reason Why:

The GX 460 is one of the last vehicles standing in the new-car market with truck-based underpinnings and mid-size dimensions. While many other automakers once offered vehicles in this segment, they've all gone to the wayside, replaced by more carlike luxury crossovers. With its adjustable suspension and KDSS, the GX does handle off-roading without making sacrifices in highway ride quality, and it's among the better vehicles for that. However the Audi Q7 and Mercedes-Benz GL450 have a more confident feel on the road, with the Audi's strength being its beautiful interior, while the GL has such a composed ride and quiet interior. With their available TDI diesel engines, the GL-Class, Q7, and Touareg are fuel-efficient and great for towing. The VW Touareg is slightly more off-road-oriented, and doesn't offer a third-row seat, but it's otherwise a stout, impressive vehicle. Meanwhile, the Jeep Commander offers a package that's similar to that of the GX, with three rows of seating and serious off-road ability. However the Commander is slightly disappointing inside, with cabin materials that are a bit disappointing and dimensions that leave it short on headroom.
The Bottom Line:
Lexus has succeeded in making the 2010 GX 470 safer, more responsive, and more comfortable, while maintaining its off-road chops. But those who want cargo convenience and versatility will be better off with a crossover.

TheCarConnection.com has driven the new Lexus GX 460 on- and off-road, parked it, and even tried sitting in all three rows of seats in order to bring you the best all-around summation of this luxury SUV's strengths and weaknesses. We've also researched reviews from other sources, featured in an accompanying full review.
Old 11-25-09, 08:01 AM
alecksk
Driver School Candidate

Talking

"Spongy brake pedal feel"... "steering with no road feel"... Sounds like typical Lexus
Old 11-25-09, 04:01 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I must have missed it or something but what does the rear hatch do? Flip open like the LX or swing out? I have not seen one picture of it OPEN--just the rear glass open.

I cant believe its not power operated either!!
Old 11-25-09, 04:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
I must have missed it or something but what does the rear hatch do? Flip open like the LX or swing out? I have not seen one picture of it OPEN--just the rear glass open.

I cant believe its not power operated either!!
It does this:

You press this button:

And it allows you to open this:

The reason why it's not power operated was for packaging reasons. A power unit will reduce the cargo capacity of the rear.
Old 11-25-09, 08:37 PM
JessePS

Canadian prices are out...

GX460 Premium: $68,500 CDN
Memory Steering Wheel, Heated and Ventilated front seats, Power Flat-Folding Third Row Seat, Variable Speed Power Windows, Conversation Mirror, Back-up Monitor, Smart Key Access with Push Button, Steering Angle Indicator, 17 Speaker Mark Levinson System, HDD Nav System, Bluetooth Compatibility, Auxillary Audio Inputs, Satellite Radio Antenna and Tuner
GX460 Ultra Premium: $77,500 CDN
Memory Steering Wheel, Heated and Ventilated front seats, Power Flat-Folding Third Row Seat, Variable Speed Power Windows, Conversation Mirror, Back-up Monitor, Smart Key Access with Push Button, Steering Angle Indicator, 17 Speaker Mark Levinson System, HDD Nav System, Bluetooth Compatibility, Auxillary Audio Inputs, Satellite Radio Antenna and Tuner, Dual Screen Rear Seat DVD, Heated Wood-Trim Steering Wheel, Semi-Aniline Leather Seat Surfaces, Second Row Heated Outer Seats, 4 Camera Around-View Monitor, Higher Wattage Rear Outlet
Model code: BM7FXT

Bold is what is extra in the Ultra Premium.

One thing my mom not going to be happy to hear shes going to have to fork over more money for a heated steering wheel and the 4 Camera around view monitor :/ I wonder how much that would cost to add it to the Premium.
Old 11-25-09, 09:04 PM
JessePS

Originally Posted by alecksk
"Spongy brake pedal feel"... "steering with no road feel"... Sounds like typical Lexus
Weird :/ I remember the GX470 when I drove it a while back, everything the tires touched and the grip I could feel in the steering wheel. They better have no gotten rid of that!
Old 11-25-09, 09:25 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing my mom not going to be happy to hear shes going to have to fork over more money for a heated steering wheel and the 4 Camera around view monitor :/ I wonder how much that would cost to add it to the Premium.
On the US Lexus web site, the wide view monitor is listed as a separate option for $720.

The heated steering wheel seems to be only available on the premium model and not on the base model.
Old 11-25-09, 09:35 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autospies has some of their own video footage showing some aspects of the GX460. The cameraman sounds like a salesman for Lexus, however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUHv8...layer_embedded
Old 11-25-09, 11:14 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
One thing my mom not going to be happy to hear shes going to have to fork over more money for a heated steering wheel.....
I thought the heated steering wheel was standard?
Old 11-26-09, 11:20 AM
JessePS

Originally Posted by akfd
I thought the heated steering wheel was standard?
From the options I saw its only in the Ultra Premium or did Lexus to put it part of the Basic (Premium) option list.

Quick Reply: PR: 2010 Lexus GX460 - Specs, Info, Pics & Video