GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010 Gx460

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 01:39 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you Jason.

The GX Premium has 18" wheels and the 4Runner Limited has 20" wheels.

Something's not quite right about that.
Old 11-23-09, 05:40 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antonio98
I agree with you Jason.

Lexus is way to conservative when it comes to their SUVs I find.

****, the LX is still waiting for a turbo. Yet the Tundra has one.
Old 11-23-09, 06:23 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm641
Is anyone else really disappointed the they have only put 18" wheels on the GX? I'm echoing a comment I made in the other thread, but, from most angles, the wheel wells really look empty. Looks most pronounced from the front quarter view, where the bulbous rear end really pops...just looks oddly weighted and as though it is riding on wheels that belong to a smaller cousin. Just a wimpy stance, plain and simple. Unfortunately, if the prior generation GX is a proxy, we're going to be staring at the look for this vehicle's entire life.
You bet I am! That's what I was saying a few pages ago. To boot, those wheels are almost identical to the ones in the previous generation Prado... Not that the ones in the current, soon-to-be-phased-out GX are the nicest wheels ever, but they look a heck of a lot better, particularly in the graphite finish used in '08 and '09 models.

I am trying hard to like this GX because of all the features, but I am really believing they have cheapened the exterior way too much. That, combined with the likely $60k price once everything is added in, may push me away. I'll wait to see it...
Old 11-24-09, 09:56 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Lightbulb Some Food for thought!!

I will probably be in the market for a new vehicle sometime early next year, and was strongly leaning towards the new 2010 Acura MDX Advance, but after seeing the specs on this I may seriously have to reconsider.

This vehicle is a WHOPPING 700lbs+ heavier than the MDX (for me this is a plus HEAVIER == SAFER - remember the laws of physics are the laws of physics), has a SUPER-TORQUEY V8 (big plus-THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT) over the MDX's V6, and hopefully the V8 engine will be ULTRA-SUPER-QUIET (keeps fingers crossed), unlike some of the newer offerings from Lexus to please the idiotic "throaty growl" crowd....and LAST BUT NOT LEAST, it is no whimpy crossover, but a gas-mileage-robbing HARDCORE "four-buh-four"

Now here's the kicker: The reason I explicitly mentioned all those attributes above is because this vehicle is able to get 15mpg in the city and 20mpg on the hwy (friggin IDENTICAL to the 2007-2009 MDX).....How the hell did they manage this????.....or more specifically why is the damn MDXs gas mileage so friggin bad????....they managed to tweak the 2010 MDX to get 16mpg/21mpg ....wooo hooo! ....let's go get that Nobel Prize for gas mileage
Old 11-30-09, 12:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonm641
Is anyone else really disappointed the they have only put 18" wheels on the GX? I'm echoing a comment I made in the other thread, but, from most angles, the wheel wells really look empty. Looks most pronounced from the front quarter view, where the bulbous rear end really pops...just looks oddly weighted and as though it is riding on wheels that belong to a smaller cousin. Just a wimpy stance, plain and simple. Unfortunately, if the prior generation GX is a proxy, we're going to be staring at the look for this vehicle's entire life.
From a practical standpoint, keeping 18" rims on the GX makes sense.

- Comfort & Noise
- On & Off road performance.

Sure majority who buy a GX will not take it off roading, but because of the GX's underpinnings, it was designed to perform well both on and off road. It's a very capable truck. Imagine the GX with 20" wheels or larger, not only will the ride quality suffer, fuel economy, off road performance/wheel clearance will diminish. If you're looking for plain looks, there's a good chance you will swap out the wheels for something larger.

Last edited by flipside909; 11-30-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 02:56 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
From a practical standpoint, keeping 18" rims on the GX makes sense.
- Comfort & Noise
- On & Off road performance.
Completely agree. Target market is not the same and has different needs/requirements.
Old 11-30-09, 06:07 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I like this SUV alot....one thing that is upsetting is the way in which they got the 3rd row seats to be flush. They had to raise the entire floor up 3 inches. Now when you open the door there is a 3 inch lip there. It looks goofy IMO. It is tough enough to raise a double stroller that high, yet another 3 inches may make it tough.
Old 11-30-09, 09:22 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with you Jason.

I bet those will bolt right on
Old 12-06-09, 09:32 PM
zidaro
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you Jason.

I thought the GX was supposed to have some resemblance to a true off road capable vehicle. Have you guys ever tried 20" wheels offroad- they SUCK. 18" imho is too large with a tire size under 37". You need enough tire sidewall to be pliable and absorb hits or you crush your rim.
Lexus atleast thought about this when they chose 18s over 20s. Big rims are gay bling, sorry if that offends anyone- sometimes the truth hurts
Old 12-07-09, 08:26 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zidaro
I thought the GX was supposed to have some resemblance to a true off road capable vehicle. Have you guys ever tried 20" wheels offroad- they SUCK. 18" imho is too large with a tire size under 37". You need enough tire sidewall to be pliable and absorb hits or you crush your rim.
Lexus atleast thought about this when they chose 18s over 20s. Big rims are gay bling, sorry if that offends anyone- sometimes the truth hurts

You are right about big wheels "SUCK"ing off road. I am not sure how appropriate your term "gay bling" is, but the reality is that most people who buy these cars will never take them off road. So they should come with better looking, better handling (on road), larger wheels.

And anyone who has the cash to buy a $50k off raod vehichle will have no problem dropping another couple of G's on a set of off road wheels.
Old 12-07-09, 09:43 AM
zidaro
Driver School Candidate

^^not a sexual reference. Intended in the sense of aloof/fruity excessively happy

How bout if you have 50k to buy a 4x4 and want sexy bling inappropriate rims then you must have $ to spend on them. I would hate to see Lexus take a very capable but luxurious rig and put items on it that actually hinder its capabilities as they are intended.

anyhow- its just a peeve of mine. I think all cars should have spinners- there cool, do whatever you want to your toys
Old 12-08-09, 06:44 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the 18" wheels. You need to provide the BEST capability/ability of the vehicle leaving the showroom. The aftermarket modders will not be happy with any factory rims anyway, so they'll go out and get new sets anyway. I think the 18" are fine.

Again, general populance, not forum rats, are going to enjoy the 18" more than having 20" which result in a more harsh ride. Lexus is all about smooth... smooth baby. I say put 16" back in there.
Old 12-08-09, 08:47 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zidaro
^^not a sexual reference. Intended in the sense of aloof/fruity excessively happy

How bout if you have 50k to buy a 4x4 and want sexy bling inappropriate rims then you must have $ to spend on them. I would hate to see Lexus take a very capable but luxurious rig and put items on it that actually hinder its capabilities as they are intended.

anyhow- its just a peeve of mine. I think all cars should have spinners- there cool, do whatever you want to your toys
Well said.

You are right...and even if it came with 20"s I would change them for something more personal anyway. I like my sexy inappropriate wheels just as much as my 17's...they are just for different occasions...

PS...sorry for the tangent...now let's get back "on topic"

Last edited by cmarshack; 12-08-09 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Off Topic
Old 12-08-09, 11:35 AM
zidaro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I agree with the 18" wheels. You need to provide the BEST capability/ability of the vehicle leaving the showroom. The aftermarket modders will not be happy with any factory rims anyway, so they'll go out and get new sets anyway. I think the 18" are fine.

Again, general populance, not forum rats, are going to enjoy the 18" more than having 20" which result in a more harsh ride. Lexus is all about smooth... smooth baby. I say put 16" back in there.
Nailed it!!!!!

Man, i cant wait to buy our GX. The suspense is killing me. Toyota's are sweet, but its time to spoil ourselves.
Old 12-11-09, 01:07 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch

GX 460 OEM Trailer Hitch

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Gx460-hitch-460.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2010 Gx460