GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-04, 09:46 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hitch

This is my Before and After.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-befaft.jpg  
Old 11-27-04, 09:30 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch saga continues

My body shop ordered a new knockout (I guess we can call it that) to replace the stock one. The replacement was identical to thr original so he reordered. My stock knockout has the flare in it but not enough to clear the hitch, as you can see in the photo.

PS. It's too bad Lexus doesn't include a "smilie" with tears on it's face. Meanwhile....
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-resize-of-hitch-cover.jpg  

Last edited by bobgore; 12-24-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-28-04, 12:04 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Hitch Saga

This is how my hitch ended up looking.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-plate4.jpg  
Old 11-28-04, 08:53 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch

I know, Cap, but I need the integral hitch. I actually use my 4X4 off road for business, so I need the extra departure angle the integral hitch gives over the add-on hitches (U-Haul, etc).

I am thinking to taking Lexus to small claims court to recover the cost of the "hitch mount" they advertised that I can't use. They knew when they sold me the car that they would not support putting a hitch on the car. Sounds like fraud to me.
Old 11-28-04, 10:46 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Re: Hitch saga continues

Originally posted by bobgore
My body shop ordered a new knockout (I guess we can call it that) to replace the stock one.

PS. It's too bad Lexus doesn't include a "smilie" with tears on it's face. Meanwhile....
Bob.....

This is the part you ordered. Hopefully, it will fit right.

~ Cap
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-04, 10:59 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch

Cap,

That's the part we were hoping for and didn't get. If the second order brings the same flanged knock-out, I'll order a 2003 part. Every '03 I've seen has the notched knock-out whether it has a hitch or not.

Bob
Old 11-28-04, 08:09 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Wink Watching intently...

I'm watching this thread intently as I also recently picked up my Blizzard 2004 and will be needing that part in order to get the"factory look. I have the "no notch" version that came with my TO package (at least the wiring is back there).
Old 11-30-04, 01:41 PM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

I'm new here and my brand new GX had what I thought was a towing package. It has the wiring and the nicely curved rear bumper piece with a place to bolt a hitch on to, but no hitch receiver. I'm a little confused because I want a hitch receiver to carry a bike rack and a rack for a cooler. What specifically do I need to do? Just call my dealer? I really don't need an $800 towing package. I thought the piece would be 50 bucks, not really a big deal.
Old 11-30-04, 02:14 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Hitch

Originally posted by whazzup
What specifically do I need to do?
Go to U-Haul and have them install a Curt Hitch.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-curthitch.jpg  
Old 12-01-04, 03:51 AM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, but I would prefer to avoid an aftermarket hitch if I can.
Old 12-01-04, 02:41 PM
SacKen
Driver

Although the one Cap showed is aftermarket, it looks pretty similar to the 6500 lb. one that came with my GX.
Old 12-24-04, 11:00 AM
whazzup
Driver School Candidate

I got the hitch receiver and the knockout from LExus. But how do I install it? Do I have to remove the entire bumper? I can't even get the original knockout panel off. It has 2 vinyl screws, but thenit is snapped on. How do you remove it?

I think I now know why Lexus charges 1.5 hours to install it. If I have to remove the entire bumper, I may have someone else do that.
Old 12-24-04, 12:37 PM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Hitch installation

I took mine to a body shop. He charged me for .9 hours. I did so after realizing I did not have the necessary tools.

There are four clips in addition to the two screws. My body shop did not reinstall the clips because you have to move the bumber out to get at them. Mine is held on by only the two screws, which I believe to be more than adequate. Not installing the clips gives me better access to the hitch for maintenance and cleaning if needed.
Old 02-27-05, 12:31 AM
Capirato
Racer

Default Need 7/8 inch clearance for Sensors

Originally Posted by CivicFerio

rear bumper cover off
Ferio.....

I have purchased a Reversing Sensor System for my GX. The sensors are the type you drill a hole in the bumper.

Based on your recollection and your pictures, do you think there is 7/8 of an inch clearance underneath what looks like a foam bar, between the bumper and the metal frame ??

After I drill the holes, I need 7/8 of an inch clearance so that the sensors seat properly on the bumper. Hate to drill the holes and then discover that the sensors hit something before seating.

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but-hitchfoam2.jpg  

Last edited by Capirato; 02-27-05 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 06:23 AM
bobgore
Rookie

Default Towing Experience

I was going to install a reverse sensor, too, but then I remembered, Hey, I have a camera back there.

By the way, Cap asked me to report back on my trailer hitch installation after I had some "tow" time. (I installed an integral 4Runner V6 hitch). I've made two round trips from here in Las Vegas to San Diego with my Kendon motorcycle carrier and my Yamaha FJR 1300--about 800 lbs--and can hardly tell it's there. Not only that, it looks great (See my previous postings)

Last edited by bobgore; 02-27-05 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Uploaded photo does not show

Quick Reply: Lexus 6500lbs tow hitch is here but