GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Whistling noise??!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 07:06 PM
fenderman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Whistling noise??!??

I just got my car yesterday and on the drive home noticed a loud whistling noise! Starts at 50 mph and gets louder as speed increases. I had a spoiler installed, is this the cause? Anyone else heard of this problem? Due to take back to dealer to check it out next week.

This is my first Lexus and I expected it to be very quiet inside.
Old 07-31-03, 07:41 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Make sure the top luggage rack crossbars are on the right way as if they are assbackwards they will howl and whistle. Had that happen on my RX300, if I remember rite there is an arrow that should point forward.
Old 07-31-03, 09:12 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I think I know what your referring to it is a common trate of any RWD-4WD/AWD vehicle, I kinda like it, the so called whistling is from your front drive shaft, you usually hear the plow trucks in the winter with it, (both my 96 & 00 Pathfinder did it but only in 4WD) all I could say is have them make sure the drive shaft is greased other than that if the whistle is from what Im saying it is something you have to live with, I only hear it once in a while and it the windows are up and radio off.

Maybe Im wrong but it like a low hum.

edit: just noticed your from the left coast so if you have no AWD then what I said don't mean anything if you do have AWD then your one of the lucky few to get AWD right or do the luxury vehicles come equipped with AWD, Im rambling but do they even make the GX in 2WD

Last edited by <VENOM>; 07-31-03 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 10:04 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

edge..ALL GX470s are AWD..there is no option to bypass that

what you may be hearing is the tread of the tires humming on the pavement...check the air pressure in your tires for spec

in addition, trucks use more aggresive treads than your normal sedan tires...just expect a harsher and louder ride..just a price you have to pay to play the game
Old 07-31-03, 10:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tetra7
edge..ALL GX470s are AWD..there is no option to bypass that

what you may be hearing is the tread of the tires humming on the pavement...check the air pressure in your tires for spec

in addition, trucks use more aggresive treads than your normal sedan tires...just expect a harsher and louder ride..just a price you have to pay to play the game
I did not realize that. guess I figured you can get a V8 4Runner in 2WD they had to make GX in 2WD, the 2WD V8 4Runners haul some serious AZZ

like tetra said, just the weight alone is gonna kill the tires, my 4Runner has the crappy Dunlops and Im betting no more than 20k before they become deadly and start to make you slow down from your nornal driving habits

Start lookin for tires now or even swap them at a tire dealer

It's cool that all GX come with AWD, ow the price you pay for Luxury
Old 07-31-03, 10:54 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not awd there is a diff. its full time 4 wheel
Old 08-01-03, 08:36 PM
robinzon
Driver

The whistiling at 50 is a problem that Lexus actually knows about. I have the same thing that goes away when you press the brake pedal. It actually was not there initially so I thought that perhaps its from the pads, but now from what I understand its just a known issue. Its annoying as hell, and no luggage racks don't make noise. This is purely a mechanical drivetrain issue, as I said I think its from the pads but Lexus seems to thing otherwise. all I know it meses up my ride....
Old 08-02-03, 12:04 AM
fenderman
Driver School Candidate

Don't they have any solutions? I checked my luggage racks and one is pointing backwards, but how the heck do you remove the bars to reverse it. The bar seems to be the same shape on both sides, must be something else causing it. Drivetrain noise, doesn't sound like any easy fixes for that.

Last edited by fenderman; 08-02-03 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-02-03, 09:18 AM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

and no luggage racks don't make noise. This is purely a mechanical drivetrain issue, as I said I think its from the

Robinzon, yes they do, I had it happen on my RX and it fixed it. I was told it is in the aerodynamics of the wing like bar so don't knock what i say as i am just trying to help.These things act like an airfoil and if the air is not flowing properly over the top of the bars they will whistle which you should be able to tell a wind whistle from a driveline squeak. If the arrows on the slide bracket with the thumb screws is not pointing forward it will make noise period. I looked at my GX and the thumb screws may have to be removed and one side rail loosened. Still under warentee take it to the dealer and Robinzon if this is a known problem why don't all of them do it? Tires will make noise on certain pavement surfaces is true but when on a smooth surface it should be quiet: Let the dealer worry about it.
Old 08-02-03, 03:59 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

A post from the RX forum,

roof rack bars - thin or fat side?
I recently bought a 1999 rx300 and i'm looking to find out whether my roof rack and bars were installed backwards...I brought it in to the dealer telling him the wind noise seemed to high...He said that the front bar was backwards and he reversed it -- the fat side of the bar needed to be faced forward...I now have a whistling at 70+ mph and am wondering if they forgot to check the rear bar...On that bar, the fat part is facing to the rear...Does anyone have an info on the proper bar direction?...If you have a 1999, how are your bars set up?...I have an appt AGAIN with the dealer but not until 2 weeks out...They are swamped...Have some travel to do and am looking to correct this before the appt...thx...Rob

Re
Old 08-05-03, 06:36 PM
fenderman
Driver School Candidate

Sorry modelaford, wasn't trying to pass you off. Definitely will have them look at the roof rack when i take it in tomorrow. Will post problem and solution when i figure it out.
Old 08-06-03, 02:06 PM
fenderman
Driver School Candidate

Whistling noise was caused by the ROOF RACK bars being installed backwards! Took 5 minutes at the dealer to fix the problem. Now she's so quiet inside, aahhhhh. The way a Lexus should be.