GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Blizzard Pearl Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 06:06 AM
stevelaw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blizzard Pearl Arrived

Ouir new Blizzard Pearl arrived last Thursday just in time for a planned road trip from Tampa to Palm Beach. My initial impressions are that this is a great car.

First - I haven't had time to really look hard, but in a quick lok under the vehicle did not see any items that appear to be the "Kinetic" suspension. Also nothing mentions Kenetic on the sticker. If I hav etime later this week, maybe I can shoot a few pix under the car and let you experts make the final determination

Second - no rear camera on navigation (dealer says that rumor may not be truse because NAV on the RX is very different from the GX.

So far (put about 500 miles on the GX over the weekend), have not experienced any of the vibration, clunking, or whistling I have read about on this forum. Guess I need to kep my fingers crossed

Have a great week.
Old 08-04-03, 08:13 AM
Cessna172
Driver

No offense Stevelaw, as this is not directed at you, just a general statement.

This whole "kinetic suspension" thing has gotten out of hand. Now it seems that everybody is checking under their vehicles for the kinetic suspension or those who are buying GX's are looking for them.

There is no new kinetic suspension going on the 03' model year GX, the Blizzard Pearl color is just replacing a color that wasn't selling very well.

The 04' model year won't be out for another 2 to 3 months, and even then it still will not have the kinetic suspension. The rumor seems to be that Lexus is going to switch to the kinetic suspension to alleviate the vibration issue. Folks, that is not what is going to fix the vibration. The vibration issue is in the driveline and no suspension (no matter how advanced) is going to fix that. It is a design problem in the driveline and it's associated components.

Also do you really think they would put a more advanced suspension ie. "kinetic suspension" on the GX before the LX. Believe me, if Lexus is moving in that direction, you will see it on the LX before you see it on the GX, and I have not heard any rumors about the LX receiving it.

The only place I have heard about the GX getting the "kinetic suspension" besides here is from autospies.com, and they are just a rumor mill. They have no factual knowledge of what is going to happen.

Every person I have talked to at Lexus has never heard such rumors.

Anyway this is all my own opinion, but based upon the higher up people I have had to deal with at Lexus with my own ongoing vibration issue and the fact that if you think it through, it just doesn't make any sense, at least not in the 04' model year.
Old 08-04-03, 08:51 AM
stevelaw
Driver

No offense taken Cessna. I bought my vehicle under the assumption it was the same old GX in the newer color. As I noted in my prior message, from the descriptions I read here, I do not believe there is a kenetic suspension on my vehicle. The offer of the pix was just to let the others see, especially since I am not real sure what I am looking for. If anything, pix of the regular suspension might help end the speculation and ocnfirm what you are saying.

On the vibration problem you are experiencing, was it obvious from when you first received your GX? Over the weekend I drove at highway speeds ranging from 55 up to 80-85 during passing, and felt no vibration.

Thanks
Old 08-04-03, 11:05 AM
Cessna172
Driver

Yeah it was noticable when new. I knew the problem existed before I bought mine and was hoping I would be a lucky one and not get a vibrating GX, however that isn't the case.

I am getting my GX bought back though from my dealership due to the tow hitch issue, so we will see if they have fixed the problem in the production line. My new GX came off the boat last Friday, so I am hoping for a mid to late week delivery.

As a side note: The vibration can be felt in every gear in the 1200 to 2100 RPM range while lightly on the throttle, mostly felt in the steering wheel and a little on the throttle pedal. Try driving in that RPM range and just lightly hold two or three fingers on the steering wheel and lighty press the gas, but not enough to downshift and see if you feel it then.

Last edited by Cessna172; 08-04-03 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-04-03, 11:54 AM
myGX470
Driver School Candidate

Can't wait any longer... 2003 it's going to be... I just made a reservation on a Blizzard Pearl Exterior color. I am told the Interior will be Light Ivory Color and its fully loaded with every conceivable option.

Does anyone know: if the Gray Interior will be available in combination with the Blizzard Pearl Exterior color? Dealer was uninformed...
Old 08-06-03, 12:46 AM
MJMeucci
Driver

MyGX470: The Blizzard Pearl is available with the charcoal interior. When I was getting mine washed last wednesday at Lexus of Tacoma in Washington, they had 2 of them on the lot... both with sold signs!
Old 08-06-03, 07:52 AM
myGX470
Driver School Candidate

MJMeucci: That is great news. Thank you for this valuable information... I'll call the dealer this morning to release the hold on this unit and wait for one with Charcoal interior. I am concerned, the kids will dirty up the ivory interior, seems too light. Charcoal seem to be a better for us.
Old 08-06-03, 08:17 AM
177mph
Pole Position

What color did the blizzard pearl replace?
Old 08-06-03, 08:23 AM
myGX470
Driver School Candidate

Sand Dollar was discontinued due to problems with adhesion of the paint. So they brought out the Blizzard Pearl