GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

drove a blizzard pearl with kenitic suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-03, 09:13 PM
Skip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove a blizzard pearl with kenitic suspension

Just returned from the Lexus dealer and saw a Blizzard Pearl GX. It looks great in that color. Think WHITE. This was an 03 with the under bumper 6500 lb trailer hitch. The rear suspension was also different in that it had a large accordian bellow cylinder for a spring at each rear wheel. Seemed to be about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Could not tell if it was air or hydraulic. Car just cam in today, I was told. Drove it, and it was so smooth and seamed to ride better. This is a nice car. (truck) Skip
Old 07-16-03, 09:28 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Are you sure it was an 03? Those options are meant for the 04s...are they shipping the 04s yet? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 07-16-03, 10:04 PM
Skip
Driver

It said 03 on the window. The rear suspension was spurng different than the other gx that had been there awhile. It had the new style hitch also. I kept asking if this was an 04 but it said 03 on the window. I am guessing that this was the kenetic suspension. It did not have the rubber stops just on top of the rear axle like the others do. Color is much like, or the same as a gs white. Looks very nice.
Old 07-16-03, 10:11 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

http://www.kinetic.au.com/techno.html

If you want to verify the kinetic suspension, you should be able to see the hydralic lines running from the front to back.

That is very cool..the 4Runner owners with the X-REAS (similar to the Kinetic) have been giving very favorable reviews on how it stabilizes the vehicle in corners.

Well maybe Lexus jumped the gun on this one..can you go back and see the other options on the vehicle to confirm the 04 options I posted on another thread?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-03, 10:19 PM
Skip
Driver

I think I remember seeing some lines comming from the cylinders going towards the front. If I am not dreaming they were braded hose. Car was outside on an asphalt lot and I was not wanting to get too dirty crawling under the car. You get some strange looks looking under a car by most Lexus customers. Skip
Old 07-16-03, 10:24 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

then you have never been to a land rover dealership...ive actually spent almost 1/2 an hour with the salesman under a range rover going over the mechanicals...when i think of the gx i am reminded of the range rover that could instead of the range rover that used to could (forgive the grammar)

the technology between the range rover and gx are frightening similar:
Both have air suspension
Both have Torsen Center Diff
Both use brakes for VSC/TRAC instead of clutch packs or lockers
Both use hydralic cornerning technology

One majore minus for Lexus...NO HIDS.

Oh well...I am looking forward to my test drive now!
Old 07-16-03, 10:32 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Skip,

I'll check it out...what dealership did you see this? We're shopping for a GX right now and am very curious.
Old 07-16-03, 10:34 PM
Skip
Driver

If I would have had a t-shirt on, I would of been flat on my back under the car. I have an rx 330 with hids that move with the steering wheel. They do not reach out very far though. The articulated lights drove me nuts driving 30 mi,es up the mountain , in the fog ,to Big Bear. Watching the lights turn in the fog around every corner, then return to straight is crazy. Skip
Old 07-16-03, 10:36 PM
Skip
Driver

South Bay Lexus in Torrance Ca. Car was loaded with a 53 plus sticker.
Old 07-16-03, 10:36 PM
tetra7
Lead Lap

Skip...

My folks are debating the RX330...are the hids not worth it or the adaptive part that is not worth it?

Thanks..
Old 07-16-03, 10:52 PM
Skip
Driver

Default tetra

I have the performance package which comes with the moving lights. Hids are nice but do not have the range that I thought they would have. On a tight mountain road the lights moving around from left to tight and back again is kind of weird. Sometimes it lights up the side of the hill, some times it doesn't. Just depends how the wheel is turned. I am thinking of replacing my rx with a gx due to the trailer hitch issue with the rx. Saw one today with a custom hitch tucked up under the bumper, and the receiver had to stick back about 4" past the rear most point of the bumper. Looked terrible. Was welded on too. Bad Deal ! If you are going to tow, forget about the rx 330. If I would have known what I know now, I would have not bought the rx. Nice car, but will not do what I bought it for. I kind of feel like I have been had, by Lexus. I am hoping that we can work something out to everyones satisfaction.
Old 07-20-03, 10:31 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The current suspension on my GX is either too soft or too stiff. No setting seems right.

The worst part is the bottoming out and apparent hopping you get around corners as the rear hits the stops.
Old 07-20-03, 01:37 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default 2003 vs 2004

Hi folks,

I'm an invader from the SC430 forum. My wife wants a car with some room (she's driving my old 1992 SC400) and we just got back from looking at the GX. From what I've read so far on this forum, looks like its worthwhile to just wait for the 2004's. From a quick read of the threads on this forum, sounds like late Sept availability? OTOH, if I could get a good deal on a new 2003, looks like I might save a few thousand $$$$$.

What are the thoughts on get a good deal now versus wait for the 2004 and pay close to full sticker?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-03, 06:17 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if this thread is true about the 03's then its not worth waiting for the 04 unless your gonna want the camera..
Old 07-20-03, 06:49 PM
cassiri
Driver School Candidate

Default bottoming out

Looknow,

I thought I was the only one noticing the bottoming out. I took it to the dealership and drove with their top technical guy. We drove mine back to back with a new one. Even he noticed that mine at any setting absorbed the bumps too quickly and felt like it hit the stops. The other car by comparison absorbed the bump more ratably throughout the range of travel. I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to look at. I'll let you know what they say.

Quick Reply: drove a blizzard pearl with kenitic suspension